Urban Meyer shows his stripes ... again

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I don't know for sure what makes CMC tick, but I don't think he would enjoy coaching entitled 4*s and 5*s.

I think he will leave Iowa State if he continues to win 8-9 games a year, but can't recruit the quality of players to get past that point. I am not talking about 5*s, but we need to get a few more skill position 4*s and a higher level of 3*s. Kids with good character and work ethic that love playing on a 5* culture team who understand they will start in the dugout, and not on 3rd base.
He’s honestly close. If we can win the conference this year, I think it will help us land a couple of 4 star guys every year. If you take that, combine it with the way that Campbell coaches, he could string together some double digit win seasons here.

Reactions: NWICY and Cycho1

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Let’s not forget people like Urban Meyer and most other people that cover college football want the blue bloods to control everything. They don’t want the underdogs to have sustained success.

Look at the narrative around the Big 12. OU looses two early and “the Big 12 sucks”. I bet OU would beat every team in the Big 12 except for maybe Ohio State. And I think they would give OSU a game and could beat them.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Campbell was crying in the postgame interview either because he was thinking about that money elsewhere, or he loves being in Ames. I’ll let y’all decide.

He has proven you can make it to the conference championship game in Ames with a couple years of his senior recruits. He has no reason to leave at this point other than fame and notoriety. Neither one of those is a CMC personality trait. He has proven he can win an Ames.

I truly believe he enjoys the process of the “five star culture” without the five star recruits.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I don’t understand the “he’d have to deal with entitled recruits at that school” line. Like, you guys know the coaches recruit, right? He’d only offer kids he felt fit with his culture.
First you’d inherit a bunch. Then your fans would want you to recruit a bunch more. Then the fans will get mad at you for not doing whatever.

Iowa State has the resources to compete against anyone anymore. There may be places with more resources but it is the diminishing return issue.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I don’t understand the “he’d have to deal with entitled recruits at that school” line. Like, you guys know the coaches recruit, right? He’d only offer kids he felt fit with his culture.

This isn’t basketball with a tiny roster. For the most part, four/five star recruits have their asses kissed their entire lives. You can’t field a team with humble four and five star recruits. It just doesn’t happen.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
From Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports: Texas has a decision to make as the Tom Herman experiment again falls short in a critical game
"The Longhorns just lost to a program with $128 million less annual athletic revenue. On paper, the Cyclones have less talent, too. Maybe that's what hurt the most, falling to an "inferior" opponent in a make-or-break game. ... On Friday, Texas fell into a familiar Iowa State trap. The 'Horns were dragged down into the mud -- figuratively speaking -- for a rock fight. The Cyclones prefer those; they typically don't do shootouts well. Texas scored on it first two possessions to go ahead 10-0 then spent the next 42 ½ minutes allowing the opportunistic Cyclones to catch up. "​

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
Hopefully Campbell sees that next year this ISU squad has a legitimate shot at being a playoff team and at least stays for that. If money is the most important thing to him, JP will offer him a salary high enough to make this a moot point. Since it’s a wild season with this virus, I think guys like Herman and Harbaugh get one more chance. At this point in time, there really isn’t a single reason he should take Nebraska’s job if Frost were to go.

Nebraska is easy living also, the big 10 west is garbage. Northwestern found a way to win. Imagine if nebraska had two of cyclones head coaches :)

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Urban Meyer - the guy who can’t keep a job because of a bad heart - but is going to be offered the job in Austin?

Yeah, I’m sure he wants Matt Campbell to take another job.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
The thing I thought was most infuriating was while Matt Leinhart was breaking down the game Brady Quinn broke in with “you think they’ll win the Big 12” and burst out laughing, which most of the other panelists joined in on. Yeah, it’s real hard to think ISU could beat a team they already took care of this year:rolleyes:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The thing I thought was most infuriating was while Matt Leinhart was breaking down the game Brady Quinn broke in with “you think they’ll win the Big 12” and burst out laughing, which most of the other panelists joined in on. Yeah, it’s real hard to think ISU could beat a team they already took care of this year:rolleyes:
Quinn was one of the most overhyped college players ever. Complete bust as an NFL he honestly is wrong more times than he is right.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Quinn was one of the most overhyped college players ever. Complete bust as an NFL he honestly is wrong more times than he is right.
He was taking Ehlinger to task for the sack he took and saying “you won’t make it in the NFL if you make dumb decisions like that.” Brady would know considering how quickly he washed out.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Preach, brother. Pile of truth in this post. I wish I could like it more than once. As someone just a tick older than Coach, you learn about 5-10 years into your professional career that the grass isn't always greener. Know what you want, know what you're good at, own it and enjoy the hell out of it.
Yep, 3 years into my career I turned down 72% pay raise (same cost of living) because I liked the company and location and was having a blast at my job. 28 years later, I am still there and still enjoy things. Probably would have made an extra million by now but I will retire eventually with plenty of $ and few regrets. Hopefully CMC sees things in a similar light.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
First you’d inherit a bunch. Then your fans would want you to recruit a bunch more. Then the fans will get mad at you for not doing whatever.

Iowa State has the resources to compete against anyone anymore. There may be places with more resources but it is the diminishing return issue.
And? You think Matt Campbell would suddenly stop doing things the way he always has because fans would want him to?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
This isn’t basketball with a tiny roster. For the most part, four/five star recruits have their asses kissed their entire lives. You can’t field a team with humble four and five star recruits. It just doesn’t happen.
Huh. Almost like we have a coach that’s shown you can do it without a roster full of 4/5 star kids...