Updating water service line

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
From street to house.
Replacing existing steel pipe with pex. Does the service pex need to be special extra thick walled pex, or do you just use the regular pex you can find at home depot?

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Blue poly in at least 200# psi would meet code in most towns as long as you put a tracer wire with it. You can get it in cts (copper tube size), or ips (iron pipe size).

• Informative
  • Winner
Reactions: aauummm and Acylum

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Blue poly in at least 200# psi would meet code in most towns as long as you put a tracer wire with it. You can get it in cts (copper tube size), or ips (iron pipe size).
Does the blue actually indicate that it is rated differently than regular interior pex?

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Does the blue actually indicate that it is rated differently than regular interior pex?
It can also be black in color but generally blue. It is a pure- core virgin resin poly that is made for underground applications. We get it through a wholesaler, but I'm sure I've seen it at menards.
In most cases 1" is suitable unless you water livestock or have a massive irrigation system. This is Menard version.https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/pipe-fittings/polypipe-fittings/1-sdr-9-250-psi-blue-ultra-cts-potable-water-poly-pipe/59210/p-1444431553420.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: aauummm

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
It can also be black in color but generally blue. It is a pure- core virgin resin poly that is made for underground applications. We get it through a wholesaler, but I'm sure I've seen it at menards.
In most cases 1" is suitable unless you water livestock or have a massive irrigation system. This is Menard version.https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/pipe-fittings/polypipe-fittings/1-sdr-9-250-psi-blue-ultra-cts-potable-water-poly-pipe/59210/p-1444431553420.htm
def didn't see it at home depot. I am running 1" from main to the house and the only color available was white in 1"

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
for anyone wondering, I talked with two contractors plus a plumbing supplier. Pex is good to go for underground applications. Lines should be uninterrupted (no seams). No difference between the white, red and blue pex. red is for hot water, blue is for cold water. white if for both and is apparently often used for the supply from street to the house.

edit:
also, put down a layer of small pebbles over the new water line. This apparently prevents any large sharp rocks from (very) slowly migrating downwards into the line potentially damaging it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aauummm and NWICY

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
an additional note:

I initially bought blue SharkBite brand pex (made in usa) from the plumbing store. It ran $138. Then I checked the equivalent at home depot and it was white $88 (made in China). The specs on each product appear to be exactly the same. Not sure if there is a major difference in the two. Tough call as that is a major price difference.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
an additional note:

I initially bought blue SharkBite brand pex (made in usa) from the plumbing store. It ran $138. Then I checked the equivalent at home depot and it was white $88 (made in China). The specs on each product appear to be exactly the same. Not sure if there is a major difference in the two. Tough call as that is a major price difference.
You will be well prepared when you need to repair it again....

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY and arobb

CivEFootball

Sep 16, 2010
Does your County/City/water provider let your go past your curb stop to the main without a plumbing license? Not unheard of just seems off to me to not need a plumbers license to go all the way to the main.

Reactions: aauummm