updated expectations for next yr?

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I really wish we had Iowa's schedule. We can go all year without beating a ranked team and finish 9-3 and look like were freaking awesome.

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
To me this is the exact reason that everyone is starting threads calling for coaches heads and slamming the team midway through the season. Your expectations are too d*** high. after a year like what we just had how can you honestly say that you EXPECT the team to win 8 or 9 games??? Would it be great? H*** yes it would be great, but I don't expect the team to perform that well. We are still going to have a lot of questions going forward and we have a lot of pieces to be excited about. Nothing wrong with being excited about the hire and the pieces we have to work with but seriously, 8 or 9 wins?

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I think 7 wins is realistic for 2014. OSU loses a TON of talent, I think they are a 7 win team in 2014. Texas will have some pains with Strong, I do not think he is a good fit there. Too many good ol boys and extra curriculars, not just football. 2014 is the swan song for Snyder and I do not think TCU, WVU or KU will be a threat, ISU sweeps those 3. Iowa is a toss up. I think their D takes a step back losing those 3 LB's.

2015? I think there is a lot of talent on ISU's roster and there is some talent coming in that will be good. I do not think it is out of the realm of possibility for ISU to be fighting for the Big 12 crown. 7 conference wins is a real possibility.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I am optimistic but lets at least get through signing day and into spring camp before we start this up. Getting Mister to recommit would put an adaptable weapon in the hands of Coach Man and make a huge difference. But losing Farinok is huge and the offensive line is where we will need the most improvement and consistency next year to see a strong improvement... Mangino is good but not a miracle worker, and fixing our problems will take more than a year...lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

This is one of the strangest posts I've ever read here. First, let's say Mister does commit. Barring a rash of injuries the likes of which only Iowa has seen, do you really think he's cracking the two-deep? And second, you need to smash your crystal ball, because predicting another season of injuries for Farniok is just ******* cold. Or did you think his eligibility was done?

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
We have a ton of weapons on offense, and hopefully Coach M will use them properly. Many guys on the O-line got game experience. Two guys who saw the field coming back at RB. Need schemes to get receivers open in space and a QB to get it to them. On defense, it really depends on LB. Secondary has a couple holes but seem to have pieces to go in. The D-Line is no worse than this year and may be better. It really comes down to if we have the LB's in place to stop the other teams. I think we are better than the 3 teams we beat this year (NDSU will not be what they were this year, so I see them less than UNI from 2013). I also think we will surprise KSU early, and if we do not have the injuries stack up like 2013, we will win 1 or 2 more, so I realistically expect 5-6 wins. High end of expectations is 8 wins.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
We have a ton of weapons on offense, and hopefully Coach M will use them properly. Many guys on the O-line got game experience. Two guys who saw the field coming back at RB. Need schemes to get receivers open in space and a QB to get it to them. On defense, it really depends on LB. Secondary has a couple holes but seem to have pieces to go in. The D-Line is no worse than this year and may be better. It really comes down to if we have the LB's in place to stop the other teams. I think we are better than the 3 teams we beat this year (NDSU will not be what they were this year, so I see them less than UNI from 2013). I also think we will surprise KSU early, and if we do not have the injuries stack up like 2013, we will win 1 or 2 more, so I realistically expect 5-6 wins. High end of expectations is 8 wins.

Just because we have a lot of experience coming back on the OL doesn't necessarily mean that the OL blocking will be better. But it should improve under Mangino and being healthy. But what if their blocking schmes and techniques are totally different than what they have been taught from Bliel and Klenakis? Then there is a learning curve on top of learning new plays.

Temper your enthusiasm boys. Two years from now we should be salty. Next year is a toss up year for most of our games. Could be 3 wins, but could be 7-8 at best with a bowl win or anything in between.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Just because we have a lot of experience coming back on the OL doesn't necessarily mean that the OL blocking will be better. But it should improve under Mangino and being healthy. But what if their blocking schmes and techniques are totally different than what they have been taught from Bliel and Klenakis? Then there is a learning curve on top of learning new plays.

Temper your enthusiasm boys. Two years from now we should be salty. Next year is a toss up year for most of our games. Could be 3 wins, but could be 7-8 at best with a bowl win or anything in between.

OL played better as guys got healthy last year, but as a unit that position group didn't have a good year. I do think there is talent there, and if they improve, ISU's prospects improve dramatically.

Firefighter4Cy

Oct 23, 2012
Ankeny
I agree with with most of the posters thus far. I think that if we are able to improve from last year and look like a D1 program that is considered a win in my book. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but you can't expect a new OC to come and and take us to the middle/top of the conference. 6 wins would be where I draw the lie for next year. Anything more would be simply amazing. Just like everyone else I would love 7 or 8 wins but I don't think that is realistic.

"If you never set goals you can never be disappointed." -Vince Vaughn, Dodgeball

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
OL played better as guys got healthy last year, but as a unit that position group didn't have a good year. I do think there is talent there, and if they improve, ISU's prospects improve dramatically.

I agree, there is numbers and talent there. Problem is we've been saying that a lot of past years. Time for our OL to put up or shut up on gameday. I do believe last year's group was hindered by Mess and injuries, obviously.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
6-8 wins. We weren't far off from 6 wins last season, and that was with inept play calling, and if we played the rest of the season the way we finished it off, it could have turned out very differently. We will supposedly have better players on the offensive side of the ball and someone that actually knows how to run an offense. I'd be pining for football season if it weren't for the fact we have two very good basketball teams to cheer for right now.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
I think the roster talent is as good as it's ever been, the question is experience. But with improved skill position play, line play, and good health, I think the offense takes a major step forward, especially now that we've settled on a QB. Wally will coach the defense up, he always does. Inexperience at safety and LB, but there is a quiet confidence in that group and I think their talent will really shine through. And you know a Rhoads coached team will sneak up on someone and win a game they shouldn't.

Sound familiar? 5-7 next year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Remember that thread asking why everyone overestimates the FB team and underestimates the BB team every year? Exhibit A: this thread 8+ months before the first game. Some already have it cranked up to 8-9 wins (for a team coming off of 3 wins) and they will just feed off of each other for the next 2/3 of a year.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Give me a bowl game and a chance to win it in 2014 and I am happy. My expectations will rise from there.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I actually thought we would improve significantly and reach a bowl in 2014, before this hire.

I think this is worth at least 1-2 more wins, but I'm not trying to get my hopes too high.

Perhaps more than anything, this will reduce our margin of error immediately.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron