Update on ISU Wrestling Recruits - State Tourney

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
according to the announcers on tv- kiley is coming to isu nextyear. I almost cried after his finals match, thats the stuff that dreams are made of.

ISU2007

Feb 12, 2007
North Liberty, IA
His match and the 3A 103 match were the most exciting ones that I remember, good stuff. Has too be pretty tough to be on the other side of the outcome though.

How about 1A 145. Two very sound wrestlers from their feet, Houchins from I-35 tried the backflip again (successful in the semis) and Welter from Don Bosco held on for the TD. Very exciting match to watch.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
I think it was Nebraska that banned the backflip earlier this year after a kid pulled it off. Way too much risk of a kid landing on his face/neck injury, or tearing up the knee that is being controlled by the opponent. Also in that semifinal video, it appears that Seigel was kicked in the head by Houchins. I understand these kids get beat up pretty rough throughout the season but getting kicked in the head can really screw up a kid, and kicking in general is illegal.

Here's the Nebraska kid doing it successfully.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuYixgVzC-M]YouTube - brent foxhoven wrestling backflip[/ame]

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
Andrew Long is in my class at school and he could definitely be good. His brother was a national runner up at UNI and is now an assistant to Sanderson. By the way, this was his 3rd state championship.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I think it was Nebraska that banned the backflip earlier this year after a kid pulled it off. Way too much risk of a kid landing on his face/neck injury, or tearing up the knee that is being controlled by the opponent. Also in that semifinal video, it appears that Seigel was kicked in the head by Houchins. I understand these kids get beat up pretty rough throughout the season but getting kicked in the head can really screw up a kid, and kicking in general is illegal.

Here's the Nebraska kid doing it successfully.
YouTube - brent foxhoven wrestling backflip

You have to ignore what the Nebraska kid in this video. It had to be against some opponent from a small town in NE since the kid in the green/gold is from Wes Eik's high school. :wink:

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
How about 1A 145. Two very sound wrestlers from their feet, Houchins from I-35 tried the backflip again (successful in the semis) and Welter from Don Bosco held on for the TD. Very exciting match to watch.

Thanks for the video on the semis. I turned away about 5 seconds before he did it in the finals. Just heard the announcers talking about it.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
That hurts, Johnny Siegel was the state champ last year, and his dad coached at Columbus for years. I was hoping he would win it all.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
On Long

I wrestled his brother in High School. He was also a stud and is now an assistant at ISU.

cjbogler

Feb 8, 2008
We used to wrestling Creston back in the day and remember when Long was a frosh and would weigh in, He would only way in at like 86 pounds! So i think if he would of been at weight his frosh year he couldve been a four timer.