(Update: coach fired) Florida State eyeing Urban Meyer and Brian Kelly

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I don't think Kelly would take the job.
I could maybe see Urban, maybe. But why take that job when USC will open up?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespu...rian-kelly-if-they-dismiss-willie-taggart/amp

When is this nonsense going to stop?!

Under the terms of Taggart's six-year, $30 million contract, FSU's athletic department will owe him 85% of his remaining compensation through Jan. 31, 2024, which is between $17 million and $18 million. The Seminoles also paid Oregon a $3 million buyout when it hired him away from the Ducks in December 2017, as well as the remaining $1.3 million of a buyout that Oregon owed South Florida when it hired him in December 2016.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Man, that is a lot of money to pay a coach for such little time there. Especially with no guarantee the next coach will be good.

• Agree
Reactions: Scott34

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Man, that is a lot of money to pay a coach for such little time there. Especially with no guarantee the next coach will be good.

It sounds like its all coming from the donors. The hiring of a new coach is probably going to come out of Donors pockets as well. I don't know how much the FSU AD is actually paying for this out of their pockets or the impact to their cash reserves and budget.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I still don't get why anyone thought this would work out with Taggart. One decent season at USF has gotten him two really good jobs. His agent must be amazing. It seems like FSU didn't learn, they still think they can hire whomever they want. I feel like they are going to strike out on the targets they think want and end up settling. They'll swing for fences but should really hire a younger guy and give him a few years to turn it around. There are only a couple of guys who could win as fast as they expect. USC will get the first bite at the apple for those types of guys.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I still don't get why anyone thought this would work out with Taggart. One decent season at USF has gotten him two really good jobs. His agent must be amazing. It seems like FSU didn't learn, they still think they can hire whomever they want. I feel like they are going to strike out on the targets they think want and end up settling. They'll swing for fences but should really hire a younger guy and give him a few years to turn it around. There are only a couple of guys who could win as fast as they expect. USC will get the first bite at the apple for those types of guys.

Race has to be some of it. Being a good eligible black coach helps a ton right now. With a push to hire good black coaches. I am guessing with the success he had in that season down at USF, Florida State saw that maybe they could get the best black recruits in the state and Taggart could win down there. I still think they gave up to soon and should have just went one more year. However, they know more than I do since they are around the program.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Race has to be some of it. Being a good eligible black coach helps a ton right now. With a push to hire good black coaches. I am guessing with the success he had in that season down at USF, Florida State saw that maybe they could get the best black recruits in the state and Taggart could win down there. I still think they gave up to soon and should have just went one more year. However, they know more than I do since they are around the program.

I just think the only one who knew what kind of dumpster fire that program was on the brink of was Jimbo Fisher. Everyone else at FSU was blind to the idea of a rebuild. There was some arrogance that whomever they hire would successful.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

giphy.gif

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
So on top of the 23 million in other buyouts they would pay another 9 million and then pay Campbell around 5 per??

No chance

They would basically pay 18 mill for the buyout of Taggart, Then 19 million to buy Campbell out of his contract. Plus 5 mill a year for Campbell. So the would be spending 42 million dollars for a new coach. That makes no sense at all.

Reactions: tyrelrobert
L

LincolnWay187

Is it pretty much accepted urban meyer got pushed out now? I remember seeing him having the migraines. I dont quite get all the job talk there

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
They would basically pay 18 mill for the buyout of Taggart, Then 19 million to buy Campbell out of his contract. Plus 5 mill a year for Campbell. So the would be spending 42 million dollars for a new coach. That makes no sense at all.

19 million?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Is it pretty much accepted urban meyer got pushed out now? I remember seeing him having the migraines. I dont quite get all the job talk there

oh he didn’t get pushed out. He made up excuses when he wanted out without having to tarnish his reputation. He’s done it every where.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Hearing it is Bob Stoops, with Kendall Briles as his OC. Take it or leave it, I would say this is about a 50/50 shot of happening.

• Funny
Reactions: JP4CY