UofI not paying contractors, AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
45% over budget on a project that size is terrible management. I cannot believe the Regents are continuing to have UI's back given the huge fiasco this has become. Keep digging, it doesn't smell right.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I wonder if Barta will pay for that new Field Turf they are installing over in that dump of a stadium. Maybe if he doesn't, the repo men will come in the middle of the night and roll it all up and haul if off.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
giphy.gif

• Useful
Reactions: JP4CY

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
This doesn't surprise me. When I was in IA City for a meeting and talking to local contractors, they gave me a laundry list of the shady things the U of I was doing and/or how they were being reckless.

For example, the children's hospital: They were behind schedule so when a private walkthru for big donors was scheduled, they weren't ready and spent thousands to cut corners and make it appear as if it was done. For example, they'd just put up really cheap drywall and paint quickly. Things like that ect. Then once the walkthru was done, they tore it all down and resumed with the original scope.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This doesn't surprise me. When I was in IA City for a meeting and talking to local contractors, they gave me a laundry list of the shady things the U of I was doing and/or how they were being reckless.

For example, the children's hospital: They were behind schedule so when a private walkthru for big donors was scheduled, they weren't ready and spent thousands to cut corners and make it appear as if it was done. For example, they'd just put up really cheap drywall and paint quickly. Things like that ect. Then once the walkthru was done, they tore it all down and resumed with the original scope.

When you have a fast food manager as your president, what do you expect?

ILikeTurtles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2011
I don't understand why U of I is paying a subcontractor directly in the first place. Maybe it's different on a project of this scale but usually your only contract is with the prime contractor, and then the prime contractor pays the subcontractors. Everything goes through the prime.

There should also be a retainage amount in the contract that they don't have to pay until the work is entirely complete i.e. until they get the final as builts. They don't get to just pick and choose the amount that they're going to withhold.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
On the issue of paying "subcontractors" directly. While many if not most construction projects are set up with a general contractor with subcontractors under the general, not all are. Other projects like the Children's Hospital are set up with multiple trades as prime contractors with a construction manager to coordinate all the prime contractors.

I believe that the most recent projects at Jack Trice were set up this way. And it can work well. But the contractor who might usually be the General Contractor has no financial leverage over the major other trades (electrical, HVAC, plumbing, etc.).

At the Children's Hospital, as I understand, part of the issue was that the hospital would hire new staff that had different ideas on how things should be organized and designed. And the management staff would acquiesce to their desires requiring redesign and change orders. Changes during construction always coat more.

Also under a construction manager project, it is up to the construction manager to very clearly define what is in each contract. If this is not done well you can end up with gray areas between contract work where no contractor claims to have bud that work and the owner ends up paying a change order for that work.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I mean it’s a bit bigger than just simplify squabbling about money. Especially given how the management of the hospital runs things. It’s affecting their staff, and can potentially begin to affect their quality of care too.
I'm sure it's affecting Modern's employees too. Who knows if employees got laid off, didn't get bonuses, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: CyDude16
Status
Not open for further replies.