Universal remotes - extinct

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I’ve got a harmony stashed away somewhere, too bad Logitech bought them back in the day and kind of let them rot. Not sure it would have mattered though.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Unfortunate. I love my harmony elite. Not sure what I'll do if it ever dies, it's enabling me to have everything hidden in a closet right now.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
That's too bad. Hopefully Roku will start to do better with programmable tv buttons on their remotes. The last generation is better, but still lacking control over receivers.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
WTF! I’ve had like three harmony remotes over the years. They last so frickin long, that’s probably half of Logitech’s issue

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
will have to find one of the 2 we have for our TVs after the dogs and cat chewed up the originals. both will run everything including sound bar (Vizio) for our smart TVs being LG and Samsung. got them from Wally World.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I have 2 Harmony remotes, best out there. Its a sad day to see them getting out of the home theater business. First there was OPPO calling it quits and now Logitech. Damn, now I may have to purchase one just to keep it when I need it down the road.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I have 2 Harmony remotes, best out there. Its a sad day to see them getting out of the home theater business. First there was OPPO calling it quits and now Logitech. Damn, now I may have to purchase one just to keep it when I need it down the road.

Inventories have been down for a long time now, all that's left are price gougers many places

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So outside of harmony, are there other options to control a TV, Roku, and stereo with one remote? I know we're close with the TV with the soundbar using the Roku remote, but the sony receiver with the Samsung TV doesn't work. I do not want to go back to the cubby of remotes sitting on the ottoman.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
So outside of harmony, are there other options to control a TV, Roku, and stereo with one remote? I know we're close with the TV with the soundbar using the Roku remote, but the sony receiver with the Samsung TV doesn't work. I do not want to go back to the cubby of remotes sitting on the ottoman.
My understanding is that harmony has by far the largest database of codes, and that database is proprietary and no plans to make it publicly available.

There are other options for universal remotes on the cheaper end, just whether your product codes are programmed into the remote.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
For my living room I was able to go from a Harmony remote to a Google Chromecast with Google TV. With CEC I'm able to use the Chromecast remote to handle the AVR, TV, and Chromecast easily.

For my home theater which includes AVR, PS4, Smart Lighting, 4k Projector, and a Shield, I still have to use a Harmony and usually one other remote depending on what I'm doing.