United Airlines - "Not a nut free airline"

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I have a friend that is allergic to nuts that are grown on trees (pecan, macadamia, chestnut, almond, hazlenut, pine) but are not allergic to nuts that are grown underground (peanut). Its very weird.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I have a friend that is allergic to nuts that are grown on trees (pecan, macadamia, chestnut, almond, hazlenut, pine) but are not allergic to nuts that are grown underground (peanut). Its very weird.

I'd love to see the look on people's faces when he has to disclose that allergy to people:

"Sir, do you have any known allergies"
"Yes, tree-nuts"

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

I'd love to see the look on people's faces when he has to disclose that allergy to people:

"Sir, do you have any known allergies"
"Yes, tree-nuts"

It's not all that uncommon, my niece is the same way. "peanuts" aren't actually even technically nuts.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
What about gluten intolerant folks? Or people who are allergic to latex? Or wool? Or cotton? Or metals? Or

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
What about gluten intolerant folks? Or people who are allergic to latex? Or wool? Or cotton? Or metals? Or

Does anybody die of a gluten allergy? I know people die from latex allergies, but it's a far smaller number than peanut allergies.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you get a reaction until the 2nd time you are exposed.
Not necessarily true. You can have a more mild reaction the first exposure like hives, and subsequent exposures can get worse.

I wonder how often peanut allergy peeps are also allergic to soy?
Again, not sure of statistics on percentage but many times it goes hand-in-hand. I've also heard that people with peanut allergies sometimes have issues with black beans or other legumes.

We have one peanut allergy in our family, and my niece was severely allergic to peanuts. In her case she went to a restaurant when she was little and happened to touch a high chair tray that hadn't been wiped off well (child before must've had something with peanut butter) and she had a strong reaction to the oil residue.

Our third daughter had a reaction to peanut butter Cheerios. Her reaction was just hives, but she did test positive so we haven't tried any peanuts since. The current recommendation is to expose children to peanut butter around 9-12 mo. With all of our kids I ate a ton of peanut butter while pregnant and breast feeding and only one of 4 has a peanut allergy. Because of our family history, when we had our fourth child the Ped wanted us to introduce her to peanuts sooner than later.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I'm sorry did you say you're allergic to deez nuts?

I think they already found a cure for that:

mykoc.jpg

Last edited:

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
This thread has made me feel bad about my wife and I's approach to our 1 year old's diet-- "You think he can eat that yet? I bet he can. Put it in front of him and lets see how this goes."

This is what I should do with eggs. Sigh. Most other foods I haven't really worried about.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We were more casual with what the kids ate "back in my day"...small amounts of baby cereal at 2-3 months, started introducing pureed fresh veggies & fruits at six months, some pureed meats at about 9 months, no dairy until they were one year old. Peanut butter was a staple in our house. Neither of my boys has any allergies to foods. One does have nasty hayfever though....and cowgirl, he's the one that preferred reading & playing board games to digging around outside (although he got plenty of that too).

Very very sad day for hubby when he found out he had to give up his feather pillow. I can't sleep in the same bed with them, or with down comforters; can't be enclosed in a small space (like a car) with someone wearing a down jacket. It's not the same kind of instant reaction as peanuts...just a general sensation of air passages closing up, and breathing becoming difficult - sinus headaches quickly follow.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
We were more casual with what the kids ate "back in my day"...small amounts of baby cereal at 2-3 months, started introducing pureed fresh veggies & fruits at six months, some pureed meats at about 9 months, no dairy until they were one year old. Peanut butter was a staple in our house. Neither of my boys has any allergies to foods. One does have nasty hayfever though....and cowgirl, he's the one that preferred reading & playing board games to digging around outside (although he got plenty of that too).

Very very sad day for hubby when he found out he had to give up his feather pillow. I can't sleep in the same bed with them, or with down comforters; can't be enclosed in a small space (like a car) with someone wearing a down jacket. It's not the same kind of instant reaction as peanuts...just a general sensation of air passages closing up, and breathing becoming difficult - sinus headaches quickly follow.

It was different back then. No baby gates big enough for the cave entrances, never know if some random hungry dinosaur might wander by.
I can only imagine what those poor kids were fed.

Help Support Us

Become a patron