UNI Played Poorly??

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
One last thing on the UNI game - I have read in several threads how people thought UNI played poorly and how even UNI fans thought they played poorly as well. From looking at the stats it certainly doesn't look that way - they had more first downs, yards, three fewer turnovers, fewer penalties, QB threw for a good percentage, they dominated the clock, even on the ISU touchdown catches they were in position just great catches - from where I sit they played pretty well.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
ISU had 4 turnovers and you take one of them away (maybe more so the first 3) and they probably win the game. UNI did not play their best game.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
They also had starters out. Including a stud on the d line. Yeah, their backup d line held us to 30 yards rushing

Reactions: cloneluke80

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Their secondary looked very vulnerable. Our receivers were much bigger and faster, should have abused them deep/downfield more than we did. Overall, I didn't think UNI played that poorly, they just didn't play lights out either. ISU played like crap and still could have won the game.

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
besides some special teams issues UNI played very well. Their QB that does not throw, threw several very nice passes. There were some great plays by DBs to knock passes away, that is on ISU part, not UNIs faltering.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I'm confused as to why anyone would think UNI played well? Because they played better than we did? That doesn't mean they played good... We Played that bad.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Both teams played poorly, but ISU gave the game away w/ mental errors and turnovers (i.e. 12 men on field, kicking ball out of bounds, calling timeout before half so UNI could score a TD, lobbing up an Easter Egg to give the wining score to UNI).

9 out of 10 times ISU wins this game if their is continuity w/ coaching and recruiting. The CMC regime can coach and recruit as evident of their success at Toledo and this previous recruiting class. That being said, this season is going to be tough as fans to watch, just trust in the CMC plan. They know more about winning and building success than anyone that is available to Iowa State.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
UNI didn't play a perfect game but they played well. ISU was the far better team talent wise. They gave away 6 points in field goals but we gave away at least that with 4 turn overs. Not to mention the 100 or so yards of offense we penalized ourselves for. To be honest the only reason we were in this game at all was because we had the talent advantage. It was just one of those games where the younger smaller kid gets you on the inside against the ropes, and you find yourself struggling to get back to even. I would equate the two interceptions Joel had to 'pressing'. The idea that the game isn't going well and as the leader you NEED to make plays. So instead of taking what is there, you look for more, Brett Favre Syndrome.

Any rate what I'm trying to get at is yes UNI played better than us, and no they didn't play horribly. We just were that bad, just an epic display of ineptitude. Campbell and his boys got their work cut out for them. If you can't function systematically it matters little how good the players are.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Just because they had better stats than we did doesn't mean they played well. If you watch the game, you'll see that.

That is what is scary---one of the worst teams on our schedule played like crap and still beat us.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
It was a sloppy game on both sides, but UNI got the job done. Definitely makes it a bit harder to stomach - would be easier knowing an FCS team beat us running on all cylinders.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
They have a QB that can't pass.

Honestly I don't think they make the playoffs. Down year for the panthers.

We were that bad Saturday.

Now ranked #3 in the FCS poll with a ton back from a team that was pretty good from the middle of October on last year. They're not missing the playoffs, in fact the should be highly seeded and get a bye in the first round. Good try on the shock value though!!

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I re-watched the entire game trying to be objective and not emotional. It gave me some reason for hope this season (I'm not saying we're going to a bowl game or anything, but more than 1-2 wins MAY be possible). If you only watched the first quarter, you would have thought we would win by 3 touchdowns.

The defense looked good - really, quite good - when they were rested. They got sloppy and had issues when the offense couldn't stay on the field or turned the ball over. And, a lot of the reason the offense couldn't stay on the field was because the penalties often came on 1st or 2nd down, and put us in 20-yard-to-go situations, which took away the run game completely as an option, so UNI's D had a much easier time defending. By 4th quarter, the D was gassed because of this.

After our last touchdown, the D forced a 3 and out, and we had the ball and a 1 point lead with less than 6 minutes left. Eliminate any 2 of the 3 turnovers that followed and we likely win the game.

We can't upgrade talent mid-season but hopefully CMC and co. can work on the turnovers and penalties. If we can just cut the penalties in half, I think we have a 20-30% chance of beating Iowa this Saturday. If we can cut the penalties in half and keep the turnover margin even or better, that chance might creep up around 50%.