UNI BBall Recruit AJ Green

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So, I haven't been as into overall Bball recruiting as I used to be, and I'm sure this guy has been discussed on here someplace at one point, but I'm wondering if somebody might be willing to tell the story on UNI's big time 4 star commit AJ Green out of Cedar Falls for 2018? This dude (point guard) was ranked really high and I do see ISU offered him as well as a lot of other big time programs, yet he committed to his local UNI. Not to knock him at all or UNI for that matter, but was it due to some local connections or legacy or anything? Regardless, props to UNI and it especially doesn't hurt really at all as an ISU fan when we have obviously not lacked at all in getting our own fair share of great recruits this year. Still, its an interesting story I'd love to hear more about. He has to be the biggest recruit they've ever gotten there. Really hope the kid succeeds there as I'm one of the few ISU fans who really roots strong for UNI as well, as long as they aren't playing ISU.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Well that would probably do it then. Regardless, props to them and props to AJ Green for being willing to go will the local school. I always love it when local Iowa guys stay local and loyal to their childhood team. Its also hardly one of those hiring an AAU or parent as a coach stories simply to land a kid too when the parent has coached at UNI for a total of 13 years.

• Agree
Reactions: Fitzy

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Funny, I kind of missed that announcement. Nice pick up for UNI, though no surprise of course.

The kid's 247 composite score ranks him higher than any of our recruits, which is solid. The kid must be a stud and his offers reflect that as well. From ISU's perspective, I'm not sure he would have even fit our needs super well anyway beings how he would be really close in class to Wigginton. No, there isn't a super big problem with having two big time PG recruits on one team, but it is more ideal if they are spaced out in recruiting classes by a couple years at least.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
UNI was where he was going all along. He did look at Virginia when Bennett offered, but he was never going to Iowa State, or any other school for that matter.

Reactions: Triggermv

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
He is going to be a really good player for them. Would have been great to get him, but he was going to UNI all the way.

Good kid and nice family.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
UNI was where he was going all along. He did look at Virginia when Bennett offered, but he was never going to Iowa State, or any other school for that matter.

That usually means the kid likely would have had even more offers than he did, but schools probably just stayed away to some extent deeming it a waste of time and effort.

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
That usually means the kid likely would have had even more offers than he did, but schools probably just stayed away to some extent deeming it a waste of time and effort.

I don’t think Jake will ever leave at this point, but if he did, Kyle would be the next UNI coach barring anything out of the ordinary

• Informative

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I don’t think Jake will ever leave at this point, but if he did, Kyle would be the next UNI coach barring anything out of the ordinary

Interesting to know. There is no doubt UNI has had good luck in the past raising up their own next head coaches through the system. Truthfully, at their mid-major level, you kind of have to.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron