Underwood to Illinois?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I will never understand that.
If you already have issues with the employer, how is that going to get any better by telling them you're talking to someone else?

If that current employed already lowballed you in negotiations, why bother with them? Let them deal with their own failed character.
You should tell them before it is publicly announced though. Even if you hate your boss you have to tell them you are leaving.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
leaving for 350% raise is one thing, but not even telling the AD first or listening to a counteroffer is a character thing.

Hate it when college coaches bolt and take those Illinois jobs for big cash.
Evidently it was his dream to coach there ever since his W. Ill. days.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
To lazy to look but are his incoming recruits highly rated? $3.5M is a lot of cash of a coach who had mixed results with someone else's players.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Sorry to the pokes fans out there. This has to suck for them. But from our perspective, i can't see this as anything but good news... at least in the short term. I want next year's team to be as successful as possible, and if a reeling OSU helps accomplish that, so be it.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
And you wouldn't be, because I'd be leaving.
I'm talking about it hurting future options. It probably isn't as big of a deal since OSU didn't do what they promised, but if someone just leaves a job without notice that will hurt with future offers.
How respectful is it when people get laid off for no reason? It goes both ways.

I agree, but I'm not sure how that has anything to do with this.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Illinois has a way bigger image of themselves than reality. They have some good history in spots, but are far far from a blue blood. Northwestern and Norte Dame are bigger in Chicago than UIUC.

Maybe things have changed, but Northwestern wasn't bigger than Illinois for a long time. Is that changing? Notre Dame is the big college team in town, but it's a pro town first and foremost.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So? It's about being respectful. If I can't respect you I don't want to do business with you.
That kind of attitude is nice, and honorable, but will get you eaten alive. Platitudes about respect and integriry sound great, but are usually the first thing out the window when faced with cold hard cash.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
That kind of attitude is nice, and honorable, but will get you eaten alive. Platitudes about respect and integriry sound great, but are usually the first thing out the window when faced with cold hard cash.

Unfortunately, this is 100% correct. I could see the players being upset about it, but the administration sounds like they made their choice and Underwood made his.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
This is getting off topic now, but this attitude is partly why our society is where it is. I also see it changing. Younger people don't seem to be win at all costs types.

• Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: CTTB78 and DSM4Cy

Spam

May 21, 2008
This is getting off topic now, but this attitude is partly why our society is where it is. I also see it changing. Younger people don't seem to be win at all costs types.

Don't blame the "younger" people. Enough older people do the same.