UNC off the hook, NCAA sucks again!

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ls-avoid-major-sanctions-academics-fraud-case

What an embarrassment. We can only hope the FBI uncovers something.\

First Paragraph:

"North Carolina avoided major sanctions after the NCAA could not conclude the school violated academic rules when it made available deficient Department of African and Afro-American Studies "paper courses" to the general student body, including student-athletes."

I kinda agree though. If they are offering this to their general student body, it isn't an issue with athletics. The governing body that should be involved is the accreditation reviews. At some point, if the school is willing to give away bogus diplomas, doesn't that make all diplomas from UNC suspect?

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
In that case, as a booster can I talk to an athletic recruit and then equally talk to a non athlete prospect? Or if they are students can I each give one a car and it all equals out in the end?

The NCAA backed themselves into this corner when they made the bogus claim about special athlete dorms were ok because they offered spot to "some" non athletes.
All they have done is completely muddy the waters and given themselves leeway to "selectively enforce" rules on a case by case basis. And we all know who that will favor.

Reactions: Judoka

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Meanwhile, down the road at NC State:

After Thad Matta abruptly left Ohio State this summer, incoming freshman Braxton Beverly was granted his release by the Buckeyes and he transferred to N.C. State. The four-star point guard recruit (who once scored 70 points in a single high school game) hadn’t played for the Buckeyes or anything, and he’d only been at the school for a few weeks before Matta left. However, he had started attending summer classes at OSU, and thanks to the NCAA’s byzantine transfer regulations, that was enough to get him ruled ineligible for the entire 2017-18 season.

N.C. State won’t be penalized at all, but the NCAA announced this morning that Beverly would have to sit out the year. Beverly began taking Rural Sociology and Life Span Human Development on May 10. Matta was fired on June 5 and Beverly left the school shortly after. Because he was enrolled in classes, the NCAA considered him a transferring freshman rather than a prospect asking out of a letter of intent. Beverly released a statement and said he planned to appeal the decision.

I’m devastated by this decision, it’s incredibly unfair. I appreciate N.C. State and the work being done here to appeal this decision. My hope is that it gets resolved and I can be eligible to play this season.
Beverly’s fellow N.C. State freshman Lavar Batts also joined the Wolfpack after committing to another school (VCU), but because he didn’t start taking classes yet, he will play this year. This is, however, the second time N.C. State has been shafted by the NCAA’s nonsensical transfer regulations, as guard Terry Henderson was denied another year of eligibility because he played seven minutes before injuring his ankle in the 2015 season, which they counted as a full year of play. Rarely has one school’s offseason so perfectly highlighted what an exploitative mess the NCAA is, especially since the Beverly ruling came on the same day that the NCAA shrugged its shoulders and let UNC off the hook for gross academic fraud.
https://deadspin.com/n-c-state-freshman-braxton-beverly-ruled-ineligible-fo-1819445249

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Here's the thing that wrong with their logic.

Yes the classes were available to the general student body, but there is zero proof that they were treated in the same way that the athletes were. These classes could have been and probably were a real curriculum for students and a fake one for athletes. UNC is completely throwing alumni under the bus in order to protect their banners. If I held a degree in Af Am Studies I would be pissed and probably look into legal recourse. UNC has basically delegitimized all those degrees, some of which were legitimate. Despicable.

There is no proof that there was a separate curriculum in the class.

We can assume that these classes were created for athletes, but unless they have a smoking gun, they're kind of stuck.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I will be surprised if we ever again see any kind of major sanctions from the NCAA. The Penn State lawsuit pretty much showed they have very little power. They are basically relegated to determining player eligibility (until some school sues them over that) and making rulebooks for the various sports.

For now, it's time for the accrediting agencies to step in. Schools that are playing games with fake classes and are bending academic standards need to lose their accreditation.

In the long term, perhaps the federal government needs to set up an agency with subpoena and legal prosecutorial power to oversee college athletics.

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
NCAA has no clue, bring in the FBI and stick it to them, freekin cheaters!

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Anyone else feel like that once the FBI is done investigating individual schools they should go after the NCAA as a whole?
I’m hoping the FBI releases something along the lines that the NCAA was aware of the adidas deals but continued to allow these schools to operate without notice because they couldn’t enforce any penalties. That would lead to “clean" universities (or at least universities that haven't been caught in this form of cheating) suing the NCAA for allowing an unequal playing field.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
It depends upon WHO is responsible for that decision - i.e. whether the FBI gives a directive to the NCAA for some type of "death penalty" vs the NCAA making its own decision. My guess it is the latter - so there will be no repercussions for UL.

The FBI is concerned with criminal charges, they don't care about NCAA sanctions or anything like that. Any sanctions would piggyback off of whatever the FBI ends up making public.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I kinda agree though. If they are offering this to their general student body, it isn't an issue with athletics. The governing body that should be involved is the accreditation reviews. At some point, if the school is willing to give away bogus diplomas, doesn't that make all diplomas from UNC suspect?

The classes were created for athletes, athletes were directed to them, and they were almost entirely taken by athletes. The committee, which was looking for any reason to let UNC off, grasped at any straw they could find.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
  • Agree
Reactions: StratCY

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
for what? they haven't done anything illegal. they just suck. it isn't illegal to suck.

You don't think there weren't at least a handful of people in the NCAA offices that weren't turning a blind eye to what was going on with these shoe deals? You don't think it ever dawned on them that there might have been a reason why those people that play for "Adidas schools", when they sign with the NBA, themselves have Adidas deals (and I'm sure the same is true for Nike, but Adidias is the big fish under investigation right now)?

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
You don't think there weren't at least a handful of people in the NCAA offices that weren't turning a blind eye to what was going on with these shoe deals? You don't think it ever dawned on them that there might have been a reason why those people that play for "Adidas schools", when they sign with the NBA, themselves have Adidas deals (and I'm sure the same is true for Nike, but Adidias is the big fish under investigation right now)?

Unless they were actively facilitating the deals between the players and the shoe companies, they are going to be able to plead ignorance on this one.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
its all set up for the blue bloods, **** you NCAA, done supporting college sports.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

North Carolina got off, again, because it successfully argued that members of the general student body accepted the same benefits as its student-athletes -- the point being that whatever inappropriate things happened were never intended to solely benefit student-athletes, and that they never actually did solely benefit student-athletes. Fine. But does that mean a booster could lay $50,000 on a table, and as long as a basketball player and a non-basketball player both picked some of it up no violations have occurred? Could you argue that the $50,000 was never intended to solely benefit student-athletes, and that it never actually did solely benefit student-athletes? I'll tell you one thing: I'd sure as hell try. Because that general defense just worked for North Carolina.
Sounds very similar to KU's basketball dorm

• Agree
Reactions: surly

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
how are eligibility rules for other sports leagues enforced?

the NCAA should make the on-field rules (we all agree on that, I think), but how are they done in HS, or minor league baseball, or D-league basketball, etc?