Ultimate Team Introduction

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
Since it sounds like the tornado siren thing isnt possible to use to welcome the team onto the field, how about this as a sweet idea. Show a shot of Ed Wilson, John McLaughlin, or that Metinka hottie on the big board, breaking in with a weather update. They could say something like 'Holy smokes, look at that weather over Iowa City'. In the background would be a dopplar-like image of eastern Iowa with a large cardinal and gold swirl going round and round over Iowa City. As they zoom into the center of this swirl, the epicenter becomes a live shot of the team coming through the balloon helmet. Outside of the helmet is a balsa-wood replica of some of the landmarks of the team we are playing - like Kinnick Field and Carver Dumpeye Arena. The team runs through these small-scale replicas, laying waste to them as they pass through, resulting in a total demolition of their beloved replica campus. 'Sorry Hawkeyes, you've been CYCLONED!'

Of course the whole scene can be replicated for whoever we play that week.

Thumbs up? Thumbs down? That's not a thumb?

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Umm... I give that a thumbs down. Since this would only happen at home games, I'd be all for the Cyclone part of the idea (minus the replicas), but having a "cyclone" terrorizing the opponents' home towns doesn't make any sense. I liked the idea until you mentioned EIU.

I would like just the "dopplar" to show central Iowa with the swirling cardinal and gold storm.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I remember during the Colorado Tornado game 2 years ago, i believe Ed Wilson came on the big screen. He was on the sidelines and he was pumped. It might have just been because the atmosphere that was created from the Cyclone, but i thought it was pretty cool. I dont think id do it everytime though.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
Eliminate the idea of the replicas (would hate the debris on our field), make the storm swirl around Ames since that's where the destruction of the other team will occur, and maybe it would work. The metorologist could be broadcasting from their desk at the studio, and they could all be pre-recorded in a single day.

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
Good imagination Tube1, but thumbs down for my vote. We can't fixate on EIU all the time. I do like the idea of including meteorologists going bezerk about an imminent storm about to hit central Iowa with some kind of jammin' rock song in the background. With ISU's outstanding computer engineering deptarment and the college of design etc... something really fun could be made. I always thought for an initial cut show some footage of real twisters could be shown with flashes of great moments in ISU football history (by the way, there are some amazing vids of tornadoes on YouTube).

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
this is kinda off topic.. but i would like it if they played zombie nation right b4 the kick off to get the crowd into it.. i dont remember what we have done in the past but that would be cool i think..

as far as the video b4 we come out onto the field.. i think we should have the weather person be form the national weather service and show "
"the storm" over the entire state of iowa..

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm not sure that wouldn't get old after awhile, but I love your line of thinking.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
this reminds me an idea I had for basketball season. I always thought during intro's or sometime they should have a tornado like graphic on the big screen with trash and stuff swirling, (maybe a cow v.twister) around on the new screens that go around Hilton.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Bentief, did you ever see the intro video for our gymnastics team this year? They had by far the snazziest, most impressive/terrifying intro video of any of our sports teams this past year. It's been quite a while since I last saw it, but it had something to do with a well-animated tornado bouncing its way around the country, demolishing stuff and knocking team buses off the road and sucking up cows and trees before touching down on Hilton's roof, while the lights inside the Coliseum go insane. I don't know if anybody can find a recording of it or something, but it's worth watching.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Show a shot of Ed Wilson, John McLaughlin, or that Metinka hottie on the big board, breaking in with a weather update.

Hmmm.... ED Wilson or Metinka Slater? Tough call!!!

6251710_240X180.jpg

Metinka is a ISU grad, however, Ed looks like a linebacker.

Last edited:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I kinda like it. Have something like Ed talking about the weather in Ames, with almost stock footage from actual severe weather reports. "Dangerous situation", "Take Cover", stuff like that. Intermingle some highlights of big hits, big plays. I wonder what the tv severe weather reports from the CU game two years ago is like. Anything about evacuating JTS?

THEN GET THE D@MN SIREN THING DONE, or some version of it. Maybe one of these years some folks in city gov't in Ames will realize where their bread gets buttered. ISU is a tech school. Perhaps we could figure out a way to send an automated message to every household in a 6 block radius stating "If you're dumb enough to not realize there's a football game starting in 15 minutes - then please understand the impending tornado siren is just a sound effect".

I wonder how many actually think we're under attack from the Russians when the cannon fires off after kicks?

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
If you believe there's a tornado please dial 911 and we'll have Tommy come over to your house and hit you on the head with a tackhammer because you are a retard.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
THEN GET THE D@MN SIREN THING DONE, or some version of it. Maybe one of these years some folks in city gov't in Ames will realize where their bread gets buttered. ISU is a tech school. Perhaps we could figure out a way to send an automated message to every household in a 6 block radius stating "If you're dumb enough to not realize there's a football game starting in 15 minutes - then please understand the impending tornado siren is just a sound effect".

I find it quite ironic that whenever the US Govt puts together a census board the city of Ames gets on its hands and knees to the ISU students to claim Ames as their city of residence so they can attain the 50,000+ threshold to count as a metropolitan area (or, in 2010's case, maintain it). However, the next 8.5 years they look at ISU as a blight to their community. I'm telling you, it's Animal House all over again...

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
You were obviously at ISU in either '89 or '99, I'm guessing. :laugh8kb:

I was there in f '89 and remember all the signs in the halls "reminding" you that you are now a resident of Ames and should sign up as such on the census.

I like Ames - alot. Especially now that I'm not living there, although my wife and I talk about moving there someday. But I do remember how dumpy a good portion of the community would treat the students or look upon the school. Maybe things have changed - I don't know. But I always found it curious those who seem to think that ISU is fortunate to have Ames, somehow. Lemme think, which is it? Is ISU there because of Ames? Or is Ames there because of ISU? I've long maintained that if ISU wasn't there, I-35 goes through Marshalltown and Ames is a suburb of Nevada.