UConn and ISU tied with 00:30 left in the 4th quarter

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
People like to think that they want a gambler for a coach, but the first time he goes for it in this situation and doesn't make it will be one of the biggest melt down threads in CF history.

That happened already. It's called ISU/Neb 2010. Only problem in that situation was CPR thinking a BACKUP PUNTER could throw a quality pass. If a QB would have been the holder in that situation I'm all for it.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Well, CPR went for 2 last year against NU in overtime. It has since been lauded as a gutsy move by fans and media alike. Now teams have to respect that he may go for it at anytime and cannot sell out for the block.

That happened already. It's called ISU/Neb 2010. Only problem in that situation was CPR thinking a BACKUP PUNTER could throw a quality pass. If a QB would have been the holder in that situation I'm all for it.

Going for two is definately a gutsy call in that situation, I actually remembered that play when I was typing that. I also remember not everyone liking that call at the time.

Still, I don't think that's quite as insane as not kicking a 40 yard fieldgoal either tied or down less than three with 30 seconds left needing 3 or more yards to get a first down. That's Les Miles territory right there and he's so nuts he eats grass.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
This wouldn't be a totally stupid question if it was rephrased. With the ball at the 25, you're going to have to rely on your kicker even if you convert. If the ball was at, say the 5yd line, then you'd have a reason not to kick. From the 25 you kick every time, theres not even a question.

Huh? There is not a question that you would try to win with a field goal at 25 yard line, but you think you might go for it on 4th down if you were at the five?

History of Cyclone kicking woes has no bearing on UCONN game.

Game is tied. Go for the win with a kick anywhere inside a 50 yarder. At 50+ yards, might even have to consider a punt since missed kick would give UCONN time to grab 20 yards and try their own kick.

There is no conceivable scenario to go for it on 4th down in FG range, unless weather is absolute mess.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
So many other intangibles also to consider. What does UCONN have for timeouts? A miss and say they have two left gives them time to get into position for a FG. Michigan didn't need much time against ND.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Re: UConn and ISU tied with 00:30 left

Since it is a tie game, you absolutely kick it. If we were behind by one or two.... now that's something to think about...

Didn't the choice to kick on 4th and 1 cost Iowa the game against us?

Carr50010

Apr 4, 2010
Ames
ISU is on the UConn 25. Its 4th and 3, do we kick a field goal or go for it? :wideeyed:

If we had Ferentz for a coach,
then take we a knee,
and lose in OT.

but since we have a good coach,
we tee it up,
miss the kick,
and Jantz wins it in 6 over times.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
The degree of stupidity in this thread is staggering. However, it should be noted that the OP got us off to a great start down the road of ludicrousness.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
In all honesty, this could be a position for your best fake assuming you have our field goal consistency and you see something available during the game. It's possible you don't fake it because you're still way out on the 25. If you have a play that could get you there though, why not?

The chance of success may be higher than sending Mahoney or Guyer out there. If you fail, you're still headed to overtime.

zwclones51

Aug 4, 2010
West Des Moines
You have to kick it. 50/50 chance he makes it. If not with UCONN's weak passing offense they won't get in field goal range. Go into OT and win it there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron