UCLA /new rumors (+ back story on strange search for coach)

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Good coach. He will have success there and get UCLA back into the tournament routinely. Not sure if he can accomplish elite success though.

Given the stench of the situation, they came out about the best they could.

Yeah, given the circumstances it's not a bad hire. They saved face. Weird fit, though. It might take him some time to overhaul the roster and get his players in there.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Disagree completely. Given the circumstances he's a great hire.

It's sort of a name hire, which helps. But it feels like a desperation move to me without much regard as to how the new guy will fit within that program/culture. Time will tell. Cronin's a good coach and I admire how tough and physical his teams usually are. I just wonder if that style will translate to that school and conference.

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That’s probably the best he could do at damage conteol, but clearly he wants out of TCU.

I think for sure he wanted the UCLA job, but it doesn't mean that he just wants out of TCU. I get why the chance to go home might appeal to him and I get that just because he wanted that job doesn't mean he wants any job offered to him. But good luck selling that to recruits. For all intents and purposes he looks like he has one foot out the door now.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Acylum and chadly82

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
It's sort of a name hire, which helps. But it feels like a desperation move to me without much regard as to how the new guy will fit within that program/culture. Time will tell. Cronin's a good coach and I admire how tough and physical his teams usually are. I just wonder if that style will translate to that school and conference.

The only time UCLA has consistently won this century was with some real physical, solid defensive teams under Howland. Probably not what most people think of when they think of UCLA but it's worked there in the not too distant past. If you can coach like that, and not burn bridges with basically every big AAU coach in Southern California like Howland did, I think you could be real successful.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Fired Alford during the season so they could hire a guy with one Sweet 16 appearance in 13 years. Well done.

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Lots of skeletons in the closet regarding paying off coaches overseas to get players. He's been suspended for it in the past. He's a very good coach just a sleazy recruiter.

So he will be named new head coach at Auburn after Pearl retires someday then.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Are you seriously saying that a guy with a multi-million dollar contract gives a **** about the state tax rates when considering their job options?

Many rumors that Bryce Harper didn't want anything to do with the Dodgers because of the California Taxes and he signed for over 300 million. So yeah they do care. I am not sure how accurate those reports are though but money people like more money.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Many rumors that Bryce Harper didn't want anything to do with the Dodgers because of the California Taxes and he signed for over 300 million. So yeah they do care. I am not sure how accurate those reports are though but money people like more money.

You said rumors and the said those rumors mean they care. That makes little to no sense.

Everyone weighs job decisions differently. Some rich people care about lower taxes. Some don’t. It all evens out.