UCF was founded in 1963 as Florida Tech

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
It would fit, one of the catalysts of founding UCF was the need to have a near university to support Cape Canaveral activities. It’s actually faster to get to a beach from UCF (35-40 miles) than USF in tampa.
Uh, wut? It’s, 5 minutes to a beach from Tampa.

• Haha
Reactions: WhoISthis

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
From Wikipedia:

Founded in 1963 by the Florida Legislature, UCF opened in 1968 as Florida Technological University, with the mission of providing personnel to support the growing U.S. space program at the Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral Space Force Station on Florida's Space Coast. As the school's academic scope expanded beyond engineering and technology, Florida Tech was renamed the University of Central Florida in 1978. UCF's space roots continue, as it leads the NASA Florida Space Grant Consortium.

They should have kept the name Florida Tech if you ask me.
I remember, like yesterday, when former Tampa Coach Earle brought his player Greg Pittman to play for the Cyclones after taking the ISU job.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Legend has it that John Matuszak is famous at ICCC for beating up an elevator.
Thought about enrolling at Iowa Central back in '75, and the admissions man said the 'Tuz had sat in that chair and his forearm was as big as that gentleman's thigh.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Can someone run down the reason this directional Fla school is better than the other? I honestly am only sort of sure I know which one the conference has invited on most day. They both seem 'new' and like they've had flashes of relevance but aren't quite there yet. I can at least remember the other one is the Bulls. I think anyway. o_O

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Thought about enrolling at Iowa Central back in '75, and the admissions man said the 'Tuz had sat in that chair and his forearm was as big as that gentleman's thigh.

While reading this thread, I thought ICCC stood for Iowa City Community College. o_O TOE, EIU, ICCC..so many acronyms same crappy school!

Itjustdoesn'tmatter

Sep 9, 2021
Can someone run down the reason this directional Fla school is better than the other? I honestly am only sort of sure I know which one the conference has invited on most day. They both seem 'new' and like they've had flashes of relevance but aren't quite there yet. I can at least remember the other one is the Bulls. I think anyway. o_O
Reason 1. The big 12 was about to implode costing everyone $40 million per year so we needed SOMEONE.
Reason 2. They are an enormous school and might someday have lots of fans & TV watchers.
Reason 3. They are in Florida so fans and coaches can take nice winter road trips.
Reason 4. See reason #1.
Reason 5. See reason #1.

:D

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
St. Pete and Clearwater are like right there. Hell, Pelican Island might even have a beach.
Lol, you clearly have not lived in Tampa. USF at best is 15 minutes from Bayshore, which isn’t a beach. USF is north of downtown Tampa, and honestly kind of a **** hole. It’s faster to Orlando some days than it is a beach.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Reason 1. The big 12 was about to implode costing everyone $40 million per year so we needed SOMEONE.
Reason 2. They are an enormous school and might someday have lots of fans & TV watchers.
Reason 3. They are in Florida so fans and coaches can take nice winter road trips.
Reason 4. See reason #1.
Reason 5. See reason #1.

:D
I'm not debating a FLA pick, although it merits discussion. I just want to distinguish between the 2, because I can't, literally.

Itjustdoesn'tmatter

Sep 9, 2021
I'm not debating a FLA pick, although it merits discussion. I just want to distinguish between the 2, because I can't, literally.
OK, yes, USF hasn't been successful recently. It's all about timing.

I wonder if KU would have gotten a B1G invite 10-15 years ago when they were ranked in the top 10 in football?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
A biggie is that UCF has an on campus FB stadium. Other factors is that Orlando doesn't have a NFL franchise and UCF has had better attendance over the years even when USF was at its peak. Academic rankings between the two are similar.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron