Ubben Recruiting Rankings (Big 12)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I would bet that Ubben couldn't name two recruits on ours, or any Big 12 team. His ranking is based on adding up the number of stars on different profiles. What he fails to see, as always, is how a coach uses those stars. Mack Brown = F, where Rhoads=A-, Mike Gundy=A, Art Briles=B+, etc.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Iirc espn who ubben works for has Campos ranked substantially less high then rivals. So of course ubben is going to use espn rankings rather than rivals

Wow. ESPN has Campos as the 75th best TACKLE in the nation; Rivals has him as the 17th best LINEMAN in the nation. Huge disparity. I'm going to side with Rivals, as they've been doing this longer.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Wow. ESPN has Campos as the 75th best TACKLE in the nation; Rivals has him as the 17th best LINEMAN in the nation. Huge disparity. I'm going to side with Rivals, as they have our guy ranked higher.

FIFY

I would do the same thing honestly, but everyone seems to completely discount the ESPN ranking, just because it's worse. I have no idea personally, but I'm guessing the truth on Campos is somewhere in the middle.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
How do two companies that do the same thing have that level of disparity? Someone isn't doing their job right. Considering rivals re-evaluated their rankings recently and Campos moved up tells me they actually looked at the kid. ESPN not so much.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe ESPN was teamed-up with Scout until pretty recently. I have a hard time putting a lot into ESPN's recruiting rankings at this point, especially with football. I don't believe that they have the same reach as Rivals or Scout. From what I've noticed, Rivals and Scout are pretty much even with the top talent in the country (both have him a 4* and top 21 at OL) as far as ranking goes. Rivals, IMO, does beat out all the others from pretty much every standpoint. Just visit the 2 different sites and you can see the difference.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
FIFY

I would do the same thing honestly, but everyone seems to completely discount the ESPN ranking, just because it's worse. I have no idea personally, but I'm guessing the truth on Campos is somewhere in the middle.

Rivals had recruiting way before ESPN did. Whenever I want to check on our classes, I go to Rivals. Then, I check Scout and ESPN to see what the consensus is on each guy. I honestly don't think I'm being a homer on this one (not that you said I was, just clarifying), as I've always put more stock in Rivals. Rivals has Curtis rated lower than ESPN does, as does Scout. ESPN seems to be the odd man out.