Tyrese Hunter note

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
Anyone who ever watched the offense Xavier played in during high school can attest to why he didn’t put up huge numbers. I was at the state championship games his sophomore and junior years and he spent the majority of those games 15+ feet from the hoop. That’s nothing against his coach. You don’t get many high-level 7-footers at that level to work with so that can be an adjustment in itself, especially when they had another D1 big-man on the team for three of the four years. I don’t read much into his high school numbers. Kid has the tools to be a very, very, very good player at Iowa State. Just gotta refine them.

I never understood the hype watching him in high school but his minutes early in the year looked good and I see the potential. It looked to me just straight effort was the biggest difference. Clearly he has the tools. Fingers crossed he starts to stay healthy.

Reactions: CyBobby

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Anyone who ever watched the offense Xavier played in during high school can attest to why he didn’t put up huge numbers. I was at the state championship games his sophomore and junior years and he spent the majority of those games 15+ feet from the hoop. That’s nothing against his coach. You don’t get many high-level 7-footers at that level to work with so that can be an adjustment in itself, especially when they had another D1 big-man on the team for three of the four years. I don’t read much into his high school numbers. Kid has the tools to be a very, very, very good player at Iowa State. Just gotta refine them.

I AGREE in the right position/role ...Xavier Foster could be a very good player at ISU......and Remember GO CYCLONES!

Reactions: casey1973

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
So we need someone to install toughness and rebounding? I think I know a guy.
View attachment 83008
That's the man himself.....I was in Hilton when Mark Turgeon brought his Wheatshockers to Hilton via the NIT tournament....The game starts and the Shockers take a sizable lead.....Larry calls a time out and starts CHEWING A** like never before.....ISU goes on the win the game....

The interesting part was the post game interview, when Larry Eustacy ADMITS HE HAD THE TEAM IN THE "WRONG DEFENSE" STARTING THE GAME.

IndyClone15

Jan 28, 2019
Metropolis
I want foster to do well, I really really do. But I can't understand the infatuation for a player that didn't absolutely dominate 3A iowa HS hoops.
It only took 12 posts to get off-topic (again). It makes it really hard to look at these threads because the actual information is just going to be blended in with the Foster-Henry nonsense.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I want foster to do well, I really really do. But I can't understand the infatuation for a player that didn't absolutely dominate 3A iowa HS hoops.

A 7’ post with skills and a good 3 point shot? Who is just a freshman with his whole career ahead of him to develop? Yeah, I don’t understand it either, why would fans want that?

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Foster will be (at least) very good, if he stays healthy. Biggest concern is foot injuries, which have sidetracked the careers of many big men.

Reactions: isutrevman

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I agree....and that's not a knock on him...I have a friend that would say during this past season "mistake coming to Prohm...he should have just went pro" and I said the same about how he's not there yet (based on what I saw from high school)

Certainly had the size and skills to be a very solid big 12 guy, but I didn't expect him to (without injury) step in and be a dominant freshman.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
Just wanted to pass along that T.J. Otzelberger's Zoom call with Tyrese Hunter earlier today went well, a source tells CF. Reiterated that Tyrese is a priority and a huge piece of Iowa State men's basketball's future. The Cyclones are in a good position to keep the four-star floor general in the fold.
Thx Stanz!

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I agree....and that's not a knock on him...I have a friend that would say during this past season "mistake coming to Prohm...he should have just went pro" and I said the same about how he's not there yet (based on what I saw from high school)

Certainly had the size and skills to be a very solid big 12 guy, but I didn't expect him to (without injury) step in and be a dominant freshman.
even in his all too short season, I loved his energy and how the flow of the game changed when he was on the floor. Excited to see a "healthy" Xavier on the floor next year.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Good state for TJ. He has a few things that he has to absolutely get done in the next month if ISU MBB is going to be at least watchable in 2021. Getting Hunter, and keeping all or most of the better players on the team is a priority. After that he can start working on transfers. It will not take a miracle for ISU to at least be competitive in most games next year, but it will take a lot of things falling the right way.

isu83

May 5, 2010
Just wanted to pass along that T.J. Otzelberger's Zoom call with Tyrese Hunter earlier today went well, a source tells CF. Reiterated that Tyrese is a priority and a huge piece of Iowa State men's basketball's future. The Cyclones are in a good position to keep the four-star floor general in the fold.
Good work!

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

Thank you for the above note and also; Many thanks to you, CW, and Blum for the nuggets you guys drop in the premium forums! The premium nuggets as well as the civil discussions are well worth the while!