Tyrese Hunter explains decision to enter transfer portal and leave Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
So we went from some poster saying he has a hunch TH left because he thought Grill and Gabe suck to treating it like fact in like 3 posts. Fits in nicely with the narrative that he massively disrespected ISU on his way out even though the list of things he actually did to disrespect ISU is pretty much non-existent other than leaving for a paycheck.

You have been around long enough to know a "hunch" is considered gospel truth on CF if it fits the proper narrative.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Hunter is a prime example of why I think the NIL actually works in our favor. Sounds like he got a bag of cash to transfer to a place he’s not truly passionate about and lost the desire to want to play at an elite level whereas we have a PG (Lipsey) that is living out his dream and playing for a university he loves.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I think he just choose poorly on his destination. Should have gone to Gonzaga where Few has thrived with developing transfers.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I am so happy how this whole deal worked out in hindsight. I think we are better off without him. I don't think a guy looking to jump to the highest bidder at his first opportunity really fits what we are doing here. Our chemistry seems so good this year, we really are a team that is more than the sum of the parts.

The cherry on top is texa$ spent a pile of money to get a mediocre roll player in return.

Possibly the best financial break our program has gotten since Creighton bailed us out of the McD contract.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I think he just choose poorly on his destination. Should have gone to Gonzaga where Few has thrived with developing transfers.
The transfer market changed. A transfer of the past and a NIL transfer are not the same in terms of how to go about development

Last edited:
Reactions: CapnCy

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Too many Battles?
giphy.webp

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Sometimes I'm curious if I could say anything you wouldn't argue with me about. Would you say this is more or less accurate?

Hunter said he transferred to further his basketball career and money wasn't really a factor, his words. More likely he felt like he couldn't be honest about the real reason and there's not really a lot of evidence that Texas point guards take the world by storm compared to ISU point guards, there's kind of the opposite evidence. Also it was pretty clear his minutes would go down significantly at Texas and they have.

Holmes said he transferred to further his basketball career at a higher level. Fully believable claim whether he got paid or not and now he's on the edge of being considered 1st or 2nd team in nation's top conference.

Would you say Holmes achieved his goal to about the maximum degree possible...at disadvantaged ISU of all places...and Hunter has not since money was no factor and his numbers are a wash at best vs last year and his minutes are down?

My main thing is:
- I don't care that they are pros, wonderful, get that money, that's the rule now. Prosper any way you can.
- Sharing minutes at Texas is not a better springboard to be an NBA point guard than playing almost 40 mpg at ISU. There's just absolutely nothing that suggests that.
The only plausible thought about the better path to the league would be expecting that ISUs pace and limited offensive efficiency was going to be a limiting factor.

I mean it was cash, but the concern about our offense would’ve been legit. I don’t think anyone expected this offense to be this improved.

Hut it’s fine. It worked out for us. Our guys are playing great, are great teammates and tough as hell. Super easy to root for.

I think Texas has the most unlikeable douche roster in the league. Allen, Bishop, Carr…barf.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
From Texas 247 board

"Jeff it’s been clear for over a month that one player should not be starting. It’s getting impossible to even have him in the game. Hunter gives Texas nothing. He is repeatedly beaten badly on defense. Most of the time he doesn’t look like he is even trying. He really can’t shoot or drive anymore either without turning it over. To me it’s insulting to the other players who actually are playing hard. They can’t keep having to make up for his lackadaisical attitude and play."

• Haha
Reactions: NoCreativity

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
All this Tyrese talk going on and on and on..... is just setting everyone up for lots of frustration when he on one night in Austin puts 20 on us and 4 steals. Can we wait til the big12 is over to discuss him, if at all?

• Agree
Reactions: casey1973

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
People still on here trying to figure out a teen with a horribly difficult childhood and young pennyless adulthood would choose bags of money and Texas coeds. Amazing.

This. I didnt know his story until the game on the Longhorn Network, and when they said he was like the 2nd or 3rd youngest of 8 or 10 or something and both his parents were gone… yeah, you take the money.

Clonefan420

Jan 30, 2023
This. I didnt know his story until the game on the Longhorn Network, and when they said he was like the 2nd or 3rd youngest of 8 or 10 or something and both his parents were gone… yeah, you take the money.
And we can dislike the move. It not like we don’t have a NIL, Blum raised 200k in one night.