Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
1) We’re assuming that, but no one knows for sure.

2) I consult for a living. When I’m in the market for a new contract, so I consider the type of work, the hours, the travel, etc? Yes. Does the $ factor heavily, and do I make potential clients compete based on salary? 100%. Do I like what college sports look like at the moment? Not particularly, but I certainly won’t fault an “employee” (ahem) for attempting to look out for their best interests.
That’s a very fair point. I should’ve stated those were my thoughts if he truly did leave due to NIL (which I do think he did).

Grass isn’t always greener though and we know that. Sure he can go get his pay day and that’s completely fine. But it happens professionally all the time where guys go somewhere to get paid and they don’t play up to the standard they were playing to beforehand.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon and Pat

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
NCAA is attempting to make NIL changes that will be retroactive. Wonder if this will change anything for him. Not paying super close attention to Tyrese's situation/story.

This is like the armored vehicle that crashes and people(like Tyrese Hunter) are scrambling around on the highway picking up as much money as they can until the cops show up.

I doubt the NCAA does anything but hitting them hard retroactively would ease some of my frustration.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
NCAA is attempting to make NIL changes that will be retroactive. Wonder if this will change anything for him. Not paying super close attention to Tyrese's situation/story.

So, we have major ADs saying they think the NCAA is dead and something new is needed, and now the NCAA wants to give a reason for "violators" to flee?

The NCAA is already facing an existential crisis, I don't think encouraging some of the most wealthy and powerful schools to once again prove the NCAA is fleckless is a wise move. This may just further expedite separation.

I'd be very worried if I'm Jackson St though. The ban hammer is coming. Better make sure you just publically tweet offers now

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
As I've said before, ultimately this will rest with Congress. The conferences are too fractured to fix it themselves unless the P5 break off to form their own organization with someone like Stankey as the ayatollah.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I agree for you. But the main issue is these kids aren't employees. There suppose to be students. The "side job" is not from the school. Again, if Tyrese wants to have a job playing basketball, he can. Europe and g league.

The students part is so naive and hundreds of millions of dollars (or more) ago.
When this became a big business, it wasn't about "supposed to be students" anymore.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The students part is so naive and hundreds of millions of dollars (or more) ago.
When this became a big business, it wasn't about "supposed to be students" anymore.
I just wanted it to be all about students playing sports while watching on national TV in newly renovated stadiums with massive state of the art facilities and the best coaches money can buy. Was that so much to ask?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Do you mean to tell me when the Big 10 decided it was a good idea to fly student athletes from Lincoln, Nebraska to New Brunswick, New Jersey for a Tuesday night 8 PM tip they weren't thinking about the student-athlete's academics anymore?

• Haha
Reactions: 2122 and NENick

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
You’re correct. It’s so naïve.

If we’re going to fight to preserve (or go back to) amateurism, that’s what we should focus on. Keeping the part that mattered.

It wasn’t the cheap labor aspect that made college sports popular. It was the association with the university that the athletes shared with the fans. And now it is just another sports fandom you're indoctrinated into.

Pay these guys, make the NLI an employee contract instead of some weak promise. If we do that, we can actually compensate these valuable students for their association with the school. Regular students can come and go with no criticism. They can take online classes and rarely associate with Iowa St. We only care about athletes doing this because they are inherently far more valuable to the school than normal students that get scholarships.

Those yearning for something that hasn't existed for at least 50 years is baffling. Is it coping mechanism for that fact people can get paid well in this country by playing a game? Is it fear that Iowa St will be left behind?

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Yeah at this point I don't think you let him back even if he wants to. I think it could really undermine the environment you are trying to build here if you bring back a guy who clearly isn't fully invested.
Yup He can be gone….moving on, but if he chooses KU then I hope it’s a chorus of boooooos every time he touches the ball

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver

If he goes to the Zags, ok - that's basically a blue blood that kind of chokes a lot in the tournament when they go deep. Get a ton of good transfers.

But if this is Purdue or Tennessee? I mean come on that's a lateral move. PLUS he may get less shots at a place like Purdue or Tennessee to be The Guy. Woof these kids can get bad advice...... if he goes to Tennessee and never becomes a true NBA guy its a fair question to ask "well why the hell leave in the first place." Also, we went further in the Tourney than Tennessee did this season.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If he goes to the Zags, ok - that's basically a blue blood that kind of chokes a lot in the tournament when they go deep. Get a ton of good transfers.

But if this is Purdue or Tennessee? I mean come on that's a lateral move. PLUS he may get less shots at a place like Purdue or Tennessee to be The Guy. Woof these kids can get bad advice...... if he goes to Tennessee and never becomes a true NBA guy its a fair question to ask "well why the hell leave in the first place." Also, we went further in the Tourney than Tennessee did this season.
He's leaving to get paid. This isn't complex

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
He's leaving to get paid. This isn't complex
The question is going to be what he actually gets paid compared to what his camp believed they would be paid when he decided to enter the portal. It’s so early that a lot of these guys are buying in to a lot of BS. Down the road there will be evidence that many of these offers turn out to be much less than what they’re sold to be.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

This has nothing to do with basketball.

Reactions: cyclone1209