Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
And we should absolutely jealous they have that available to them

I am quite certain Jamie Pollard’s entire perspective on this would be completely different if he had a couple of billionaires that wanted to fund NIL, as would the coaches.

It’s easy to be principled when you have no choice
Excellent post.
I thought Jamie said exactly what he should and could given the situation. He realizes we cannot remotely compete in a player purchasing program. He is in a tough spot. Make it sound like we are taking the high road. If we had mega donors, we would probably be out bidding.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Seeing ISU become a legitimate athletic department has been amazing to watch in my lifetime. But I would almost prefer your scenario to play out at this point.

I can't tell from your post. Are you assuming ISU would be part of this AAA division? I highly doubt it. We'd be very lucky to be included from a financial standpoint. From a competitive standpoint, we'd be buried.

I wouldn't mind it if the mega programs battle it out while paying an absurd amount of money to field a team/build the toys required to appease that level of player. They can attract the worst fans in sports (NFL/WWE types) while presenting a lesser version of the NFL. The networks can pay out the ass for every game, and everyone at the top is happy.

Meanwhile the rest of us can go back to tailgating on fall Saturdays and cheering for our alma mater. The stadium would be half full. The games would be televised because networks need inventory and/or universities are capable of getting the game on the internet at the very least. Some of the magic of college football would be lost, but that's where we are.
Yeah...my bad on being unclear. I was thinking in terms of the AAA being more of a AAA league to the major colleges...so the next step back from the Bamas, Georgias and company. So in my mind I see Iowa State being one step back from the "elite" college football schools (whatever that means). That is what worries me...I mean I loved being an Iowa State fan when I was young but most of the games I "witnessed" then was by listening to the games on the radio. I have really enjoyed the evolution of Iowa State football to go along with our successes in basketball. I have enjoyed being able to see almost every game on TV. I don't want that to change and maybe it wouldn't even if the top 30 break away from what we have set up at the moment?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Yeah...my bad on being unclear. I was thinking in terms of the AAA being more of a AAA league to the major colleges...so the next step back from the Bamas, Georgias and company. So in my mind I see Iowa State being one step back from the "elite" college football schools (whatever that means). That is what worries me...I mean I loved being an Iowa State fan when I was young but most of the games I "witnessed" then was by listening to the games on the radio. I have really enjoyed the evolution of Iowa State football to go along with our successes in basketball. I have enjoyed being able to see almost every game on TV. I don't want that to change and maybe it wouldn't even if the top 30 break away from what we have set up at the moment?

The AAA league would be the Georgias and Bamas because it would be professional at that point, but I see what you're saying.

It's very possible we are left out of that league. It would be a gut punch emotionally and financially for the athletic department and school. But maybe that gets us back closer to the model that we fell in love with.

To answer your original question, yes, there is a market for a division that isn't the top 20-30 schools. But it's peanuts compared to what the AAA (semi-pro Georgia/Bama) league would be and what we're getting now. The hope would be that it maintains some prestige/traditions for the millions of college sports fans who cheer for their team/school for more reasons than just winning national championships. Every game will be on TV due to better technology. Whether the game feels important enough to watch is another matter.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Well - certainly not sustainable for ISU.
There are teams that can sustain it and are willing to do so. These powerful “haves” may not easily relinquish their advantage. I remain pretty pessimistic that this will work out well for ISU. Soon the SEC and B10 will have so much TV money that they can direct most of their donor money to NIL to buy them players. We need rules, but doubt they happen. If they do, I doubt they are equity based.

Miami basketball with no actual fans is not going to pay players millions and millions over decades.

Schools that have a combo of both real fan interest and real booster money will be able to keep a huge pro player payroll going annually.

There may be some case of a random rich guy or company that feels they want to dump millions into a team with few fans but it won't be the norm. There's just not a lot of reward in it. The local fans/alumni either care or they don't. Take that brand away and it's G League or AA baseball.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Miami basketball with no actual fans is not going to pay players millions and millions over decades.

Schools that have a combo of both real fan interest and real booster money will be able to keep a huge pro player payroll going annually.

There may be some case of a random rich guy or company that feels they want to dump millions into a team with few fans but it won't be the norm. There's just not a lot of reward in it. The local fans/alumni either care or they don't. Take that brand away and it's G League or AA baseball.
This is incorrect.

Miami and their boosters are committed to spending whatever it takes to remain at the highest level. Certainly at least a couple million a year for MBB salaries. Most that have this level of discretionary funds realize a couple million on the most important inputs to revenue is good business. They’re even working on leveraging non-AD school funds to finance the department, if needed. They’ll be one of the first to pursue leasing or licensing the programs or even AD if that time comes

It is hard for us to understand the booster and school support at places like Miami. Our AD is dependent on distributing costs across thousands of value shoppers via tickets and very small donations.

Reactions: Cyclad

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is incorrect.

Miami and their boosters are committed to spending whatever it takes to remain at the highest level. Certainly at least a couple million a year. Most that have this level of discretionary funds realize a couple million on the most important inputs to revenue is good business. They’re even working on leveraging non-AD school funds to finance the department, if needed. They’ll be one of the first to pursue leasing or licensing the programs or even AD if that time comes

It is hard for us to understand the booster and school support at places like Miami. Our AD is dependent on distributing costs across thousands of value shoppers via tickets and very small donations.

You have detailed info on Miami basketball boosters?

I just assume the programs with almost no fans will often not have a ton of boosters wanting to throw 10 million dollars away every year on a team nobody follows.

It'll happen but it'll be the very rare exception. Maybe Miami is one of those exceptions with boosters dying to buy a pro basketball team for a school that has very little interest in basketball.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

I just assume the programs with almost no fans will often not have a ton of boosters wanting to throw 10 million dollars away every year on a team nobody follows.

It'll happen but it'll be the very rare exception. Maybe Miami is one of those exceptions with boosters dying to buy a pro basketball team for a school that has very little interest in basketball.
Do you? You know that Miami and their boosters share the foolish view that spending on players is anything but the most critical investment in the program?

You don’t need detailed, insider info to know what I posted about Miami.

Any current basketball high major or high revenue basketball program with a competent AD isn’t going to jeopardize the future by not spending on the foremost input.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Do you? You know that Miami and their boosters share the foolish view that spending on players is anything but the most critical investment in the program?

Any current basketball high major or high revenue basketball program with a competent AD isn’t going to jeopardize the future by not spending on the foremost input.

NIL is being led by Big Donors at the other schools. You and your Big Donor friends need to step up like the Big Donors at other schools. Just dip into your unlimited supply of money.

• Haha
Reactions: jctisu

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Just look at the LifeWallet webpage - the guy has a entire page on his website showing all the Miami athletes he has NIL deals with

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I don't know the exact numbers, but there are at the very least thousands, probably tens to hundreds of thousands, of people who pay every month but the interest rates and totals mean they've barely made a dent in the actual debt. Like, I know I've seen people pay back essentially the entire loan they took but it's been all (or mostly all) interest anyway.

The student debt crisis is real.
I wonder where Tyrese Hunter will play college basketball next year...

Let's get back on topic.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I didn’t claim you’re incorrect about everything while offering zero info.

I even said I could be wrong. You’re a d*** sometimes.

• Winner

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I wonder where Tyrese Hunter will play college basketball next year...

Let's get back on topic.
I'm sure somewhere in this thread the timing of when kids have to sign with a school is revealed but can someone answer this question? Is there no real due date except needing to be in class for the fall semester? If so holy scrap this could go on for months!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Just look at the LifeWallet webpage - the guy has a entire page on his website showing all the Miami athletes he has NIL deals with

Thanks, the kind of info I'd have preferred from our happy friend. This stuff moves at light speed (the news and our thread about it). I just saw Miami signed Pack to 800k one year contract. This stuff is nuts. I've always been an NBA fan +ISU. For these short guards maybe cashing in for giant college pro deals is their chance before going to Europe. I mean you see a few phenoms at 6' or under but not many. If Tyrese or Pack ever get drafted first round it'll mean they are unanimous All American level in college game.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I wonder if European teams might try to compete for some of these guys with American boosters. Like Nigel Pack is a more polished player than Tyrese and I could see him fitting in well at high level european play...I wonder if teams in Europe would look at him at 800k as a steal, overpriced, a gamble worth taking to outbid for him at 900k or a million?

I think average salaries for euro players are 300-800k, similar to a lot of these new American pro college players. The top euro players make multi millions but I doubt they'd ever pay non-NBA bound guys that type of money.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I didn’t claim you’re incorrect about everything while offering zero info.

I even said I could be wrong. You’re a d*** sometimes.
You offered zero info.

This is well known on Miami. Ruiz wants to build a new football stadium. To question whether Miami has boosters willing to spend a couple million on the most important aspect of a program is going to be disagreed with. That shouldn’t offend you

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You offered zero info.

This is well known on Miami. To question whether Miami has boosters willing to spend a couple million on the most important aspect of a program is going to be ridiculed.

I gave my thoughts/opinion without a vague claim that everybody else is wrong.

You said "incorrect" and offered no info, being a d*** as I've observed even when I agree w you.

Another poster offered info. I looked into it myself. This stuff is moving so fast I had no idea they signed Pack at 800k already.

I still don't think we're going to have dozens and dozens of programs with very little fan interest and boosters who put down multi millions year after year, that'll burn itself out sometimes. My point was I think on average a lot of teams with big boosters also have big brand fan followings and tradition in one or both sports. IMHO that's the combo ISU cannot begin to compete with.

Miami already has always had a recruiting advantage just being located in Miami in any sport.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
This is what Pollard and about 30-50 ADs of the non-blue blood programs should have pushed for long ago. This result was so obviously inevitable, but they completely blew it.

Clinging to the obviously dying amateurism model to avoid paying some stipends and benefits, which would've been hard but possible, would have retained some regulation and ISU and schools like it would've been able to remain reasonably competitive. It would've been hard, but it was certainly possible.

Thinking at all in the last couple years that A) the amateurism environment of old had ANY chance of survival and B) that ISU has any chance of remaining relevant with a full athletic department in the post-amateurism world is complete idiocy and incompetence.

This is true, but in fairness to all the non-blue bloods...
a) I am sure they were scared of more expenses and/or reduced donations as money flowed to players,
b) would have been hard to really believe this could happen this bad this fast,
c) all the big boys WANTED this to happen to crucify the competition, so the little guys would have been swimming upstream against that too.

Big windmill to tilt at for the AD of ISU, Northwestern, Virginia Tech, et al.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron