Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
You still have college debt in your 40's? Where did you go to college, and how many years?
Undergraduate and graduate degree at ISU. I consolidated at a really low interest rate so was never in a hurry to pay them off. I'm in my early 40s and there's not much left. It's not some kind of huge financial burden for me.

Reactions: Cytown12

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I have to keep telling myself that these players work hard and are highly skilled so I can keep enjoying college sports. Then when they leave for a higher paying school job, it seems like less of a betrayal.

I think about all the crazy jobs I worked to get through college debt free back when costs were low enough to do that. The meal plan alone with the better food service they have now makes me envious. My roommate and I had squirreled away about three dozen of the little cereal boxes. You could do that even after they started slashing them because the students working there never really cut them all the way through. Then her boyfriend and two of his friends ate our whole stash in one night when they had the munchies.

Jobs walking home after closing at 2:00 am. Borrowing a dress when you had to dress up because you only had one nice one. Selling plasma in grad school. Free room, board, tuition, and Cy-Ride would have been nirvana to me. Could have just done the dorm post office job for spending money and I would have been set.

This is coming to the point where we should quit pretending top athletes are students and make them employees.

I agree, the top athletes should be employees, but not of universities. But of the NBA and NFL. Not sure, other than Congress, how the NFL/NBA can be nudged to create their own minor league system for top playes.

ALL college Presidents & Athletic Directors have sold their soul to some degree. Some schools like Miami appear content to push the limits. And it would appear that donors are acting as the basketball team's GM, when he can tell a player to move on if he doesn't like his previously signed NIL deal.

It can't be any surprise that disputes would develop within a team environment with 18-22 year old kids when one kid is getting more than another. Especially if the players who have been part of the historical success feel slighted. Compound this with Agents/Agencies who apparently get a share of the NIL money and the system is bound to implode since their greed comes into play as well.

I think it is becoming very apparent if the NCAA or whatever organization takes on oversight this summer can't put the toothpaste back in the tube to a large degree, we will see college sport fracture:
  • University Have vs. Have Some vs. Have Not
  • Men's Sport vs. Women's Sport
  • Football vs. Basketball vs Olympic Sports

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The AD is not going to give up football revenue for competitiveness in basketball. These are separate interests, AD vs "NIL".
You're making the assumption that ISU football will be highly profitable in 10-15 years. I'm skeptical it will. If it is relegated to a lower level, then attendance will suck and media value will completely dry up.

The current media deal will keep it profitable. The next one? We'll see.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Undergraduate and graduate degree at ISU. I consolidated at a really low interest rate so was never in a hurry to pay them off. I'm in my early 40s and there's not much left. It's not some kind of huge financial burden for me.

No worries. You aren't alone. I know lots of people in their 30's and beyond, most with graduate degrees who use subsidized government loans as a leverage tool to free up cash flow for their daily lives.

1651244141542.png

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
No worries. You aren't alone. I know lots of people in their 30's and beyond, most with graduate degrees who use subsidized government loans as a leverage tool to free up cash flow for their daily lives.

View attachment 98364
Pretty much, and if you're able to consolidate at an interest rate that is under the rate of inflation like I was there is zero incentive to pay that debt off early.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I hope it doesn't come to that. I think in JPs radio interview he may have indicated that a new division could form to be a AAA sports type league for the pros and the rest would go back to something resembling the old model - I could see that happening.

But what type of market exists for that? There is a market for sure but what does that market look like? The old model when we were lucky to see 4 or so ISU football games on tv in a season? Would TV pony up for a AAA type league at the levels we have become accustomed to? Or would this new type of AAA league resemble more of the FCS type play/attention? If TV money isn't there...ISU athletics is in serious jeopardy of even remotely resembling what we have seen in the past decade.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
But what type of market exists for that? There is a market for sure but what does that market look like? The old model when we were lucky to see 4 or so ISU football games on tv in a season? Would TV pony up for a AAA type league at the levels we have become accustomed to? Or would this new type of AAA league resemble more of the FCS type play/attention? If TV money isn't there...ISU athletics is in serious jeopardy of even remotely resembling what we have seen in the past decade.

Pollard is incredibly calculating. That little bit wasn’t just said for no reason.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Who didn't pay for college in cash. Dave Ramsey told me to pay for it in cash.

Mrs and I burned up $90K in cashflow our first 3.75 years out of school to pay off student loans.. Part of me wishes I consolidated and invested more..

But I do love going to sleep at night with only a mortgage for debt. Lost my job last fall and didn't panic for a second about paying bills. There isn't a right or wrong way, as every situation is different.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Okay, not students........employees. Employee's of who? Are all player's employee's or just the top athlete's?

No longer considered students, do eligibility standards still apply to those top athlete's?
Have eligibility standards really applied anyway? How many of their tutors do the work for them? They can basically cheat through their classes and not get in any real trouble. The class that i took as a gen ed which was the biggest joke of a class i had in college was full of athletes. 10% of your grade was standing up and introducing yourself to the class and saying what life path you were on. Another 20+% was a group presentation where i talked for maybe 2 minutes.

When is the last time an ISU player wasn't eligible due to grades?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Because this is the way everyone involved wanted it, including fans. Can't just grow it into a multi-billion dollar business and expect all the quaint things, like it being about students playing sports, to stay the same forever.

I really don't believe most fans wanted it this way, but it is what it has become. The whole thing is ridiculous on salaries, facilities etc... so I guess this was a progression doesn't mean most fans are a fan of it.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Mrs and I burned up $90K in cashflow our first 3.75 years out of school to pay off student loans.. Part of me wishes I consolidated and invested more..

But I do love going to sleep at night with only a mortgage for debt. Lost my job last fall and didn't panic for a second about paying bills. There isn't a right or wrong way, as every situation is different.
Ive never once regretted paying off student loans aggressively. But I sure as heck will if there is a large forgivement done by the federal government.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I really don't believe most fans wanted it this way, but it is what it has become. The whole thing is ridiculous on salaries, facilities etc... so I guess this was a progression doesn't mean most fans are a fan of it.
The whole thing has been booming for years and years, fans went along for the ride just like everyone else. ADs built multi-million dollar buildings, giant video boards, competed to have the best facilities, spent millions on coaches, signed massive TV deals, but then expected it to stay pure old college athletics at the same time.

• Winner
Reactions: CyTwister

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
You still have college debt in your 40's? Where did you go to college, and how many years?
I don't know the exact numbers, but there are at the very least thousands, probably tens to hundreds of thousands, of people who pay every month but the interest rates and totals mean they've barely made a dent in the actual debt. Like, I know I've seen people pay back essentially the entire loan they took but it's been all (or mostly all) interest anyway.

The student debt crisis is real.

CyTwister

Aug 30, 2019
Truths the average person doesn’t want to hear:

1. Basketball and football players are not student-athletes. Lowered admission standards, fake classes at UNC, useless majors, terrible graduation rates, increased practice hours, AD and coach pay skyrocketing from 50 years ago, mega TV deals, and conference realignment making athletes miss more class now than ever says otherwise. Scummy coaches getting hired who are the exact opposite of good character shows this as well. There’s a reason why transfer rules until recently were different for FB and BB vs other sports.

2. P5 ADs and coaches have dragged their heels on NIL/paying players for obvious reasons: $$$ and avoiding change! No P5 AD wants to deal with headaches like a pay cut from the average pay of over $800k today, staff laid off, and figuring out how to handle the Title XI rules. Ugly, messy, confusing, stressful. They’re resisting like any industry’s old timers who like the system the way it is set up. Doesn’t make them bad people.

3. A big reason a lot of Olympic sports still exist in D1 today is tradition, Title XI, conference minimum sport requirements, and pressure on ADs to keep things the same. A lot of programs could run on a shoestring budget, but don’t because of the facility/coach pay arms race and because ADs need to justify their job. Much different than D3 where sports bring in students who would otherwise go to ISU or Iowa.

4. Title IX has not made athlete benefits equal. It has helped, but it’s obvious where ADs focus their attention and money.

5. Schools can build NIL value for players, but no one can deny top P5 FB and BB players are top 0.1% in athletic talent among peers and that comes with a huge value premium. The stars will bring in tons of money, but there are going to be plenty of lower-end schools which will have a donor willing to chip in $20k per BB player.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Seeing ISU become a legitimate athletic department has been amazing to watch in my lifetime. But I would almost prefer your scenario to play out at this point.

I can't tell from your post. Are you assuming ISU would be part of this AAA division? I highly doubt it. We'd be very lucky to be included from a financial standpoint. From a competitive standpoint, we'd be buried.

I wouldn't mind it if the mega programs battle it out while paying an absurd amount of money to field a team/build the toys required to appease that level of player. They can attract the worst fans in sports (NFL/WWE types) while presenting a lesser version of the NFL. The networks can pay out the ass for every game, and everyone at the top is happy.

Meanwhile the rest of us can go back to tailgating on fall Saturdays and cheering for our alma mater. The stadium would be half full. The games would be televised because networks need inventory and/or universities are capable of getting the game on the internet at the very least. Some of the magic of college football would be lost, but that's where we are.