Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
The amounts are sustainable. These ADs spend over $100 million. A few million on the most critical input is nothing.

What’s not sustainable is having no rules or regulations. Since it’s not technically pay to play, there’s still a lack of transparency and little on contracts. If athletes are deemed employees in the NCAA vs Johnson case, which this is making it clear they are, then a lot of this gets cleaned up. It won’t take long for there to be a collective bargaining agreement
Yes. They are sustainable for the elite 'few'. BUT, 'relegating' the rest of the competition, IF not done relative to 'sustainable' viewership, is the equation for failure.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

tyrelrobert

Oct 18, 2006
West Des Moines,IA
Why are college sports attached to a college anymore? It seems silly to make 400K and attend class. We’re living in some weird ******* times.
Good point. How will these agencies respond the 1st time a kid is academically ineligible.

Most likely scenario is all online classes with someone else doing the work

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I have to keep telling myself that these players work hard and are highly skilled so I can keep enjoying college sports. Then when they leave for a higher paying school job, it seems like less of a betrayal.

I think about all the crazy jobs I worked to get through college debt free back when costs were low enough to do that. The meal plan alone with the better food service they have now makes me envious. My roommate and I had squirreled away about three dozen of the little cereal boxes. You could do that even after they started slashing them because the students working there never really cut them all the way through. Then her boyfriend and two of his friends ate our whole stash in one night when they had the munchies.

Jobs walking home after closing at 2:00 am. Borrowing a dress when you had to dress up because you only had one nice one. Selling plasma in grad school. Free room, board, tuition, and Cy-Ride would have been nirvana to me. Could have just done the dorm post office job for spending money and I would have been set.

This is coming to the point where we should quit pretending top athletes are students and make them employees.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I have to keep telling myself that these players work hard and are highly skilled so I can keep enjoying college sports. Then when they leave for a higher paying school job, it seems like less of a betrayal.

I think about all the crazy jobs I worked to get through college debt free back when costs were low enough to do that. The meal plan alone with the better food service they have now makes me envious. My roommate and I had squirreled away about three dozen of the little cereal boxes. You could do that even after they started slashing them because the students working there never really cut them all the way through. Then her boyfriend and two of his friends ate our whole stash in one night when they had the munchies.

Jobs walking home after closing at 2:00 am. Borrowing a dress when you had to dress up because you only had one nice one. Selling plasma in grad school. Free room, board, tuition, and Cy-Ride would have been nirvana to me. Could have just done the dorm post office job for spending money and I would have been set.

This is coming to the point where we should quit pretending top athletes are students and make them employees.

Okay, not students........employees. Employee's of who? Are all player's employee's or just the top athlete's?

No longer considered students, do eligibility standards still apply to those top athlete's?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I'm just glad some of these poor agents and lawyers are getting some much hard earned money for doing all of this great work for society.

Congrats to all these guys and their agents and lawyers "going and getting theirs." Let's see how many schools in the future can even support scholarship football in the future when all but a handful can put a team full of legit D1 guys on the field.

Pre-NIL, having a football program make $30M less really wasn't that big of a deal. Everybody had pretty good facilities, so the marginal value of those additional dollars was very low.

Marginal value of pay to play dollars destroys everything in the history of college sports recruiting. Nothing's close. If you want an example, The North Dakota State goes from D2 to FCS dynasty and beating P5 schools in the blink of an eye. How? Providing total cost of attendance while competitors like UNI do not. That's what a couple grand a year does relative to their competition in recruiting. Now make that 10s and hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

I think you might realistically see some schools in the ISU range eventually shutter football, go all in on CBB and form another league or two like the Big East. Once you cut football, you can ax other women's sports easily with no title IX issues. These new leagues can basically run Men's and WBB programs, and maybe a few other sports for each run on shoestring budgets.

While college football is a way bigger business and media value than CBB, we're seeing the market value of BB players being quite high. Hell, at a place like ISU, legit NIL value can make a college basketball player pretty rich. You can pool the cash to just a handful of people, they have lucrative opportunities like showing up for a few days at some kids' bball camp in your name, etc.

It's in the realm of possibility for ISU to compete in basketball in this type of environment. It would take drastic measures, but it could happen.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

I understand your point. I worked through college to make ends meet and still have student loan debt I'm paying off in my 40s. However, 60,000 people weren't showing up to watch me take a test, and my profs weren't making million dollar salaries off of that. I'm not saying I think the current situation is ideal, but I also feel like student athletes should be allowed to capitalize on their own name, image, and likeness if someone is willing to pay them to actually endorse something. Hopefully a happy medium can be found.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I understand your point. I worked through college to make ends meet and still have student loan debt I'm paying off in my 40s. However, 60,000 people weren't showing up to watch me take a test, and my profs weren't making million dollar salaries off of that. I'm not saying I think the current situation is ideal, but I also feel like student athletes should be allowed to capitalize on their own name, image, and likeness if someone is willing to pay them to actually endorse something. Hopefully a happy medium can be found.

Where all my “Life’s Not Fair” people at?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

This is what Pollard and about 30-50 ADs of the non-blue blood programs should have pushed for long ago. This result was so obviously inevitable, but they completely blew it.

Clinging to the obviously dying amateurism model to avoid paying some stipends and benefits, which would've been hard but possible, would have retained some regulation and ISU and schools like it would've been able to remain reasonably competitive. It would've been hard, but it was certainly possible.

Thinking at all in the last couple years that A) the amateurism environment of old had ANY chance of survival and B) that ISU has any chance of remaining relevant with a full athletic department in the post-amateurism world is complete idiocy and incompetence.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If they get a job they will get monthly pay days until they are too old to work.
Or if they are lucky biweekly pay days.

I was in Portillos earlier this week and they had flyers out looking for employees. They were advertising getting paid daily. That is a new one for me.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
I'm just glad some of these poor agents and lawyers are getting some much hard earned money for doing all of this great work for society.

Congrats to all these guys and their agents and lawyers "going and getting theirs." Let's see how many schools in the future can even support scholarship football in the future when all but a handful can put a team full of legit D1 guys on the field.

Pre-NIL, having a football program make $30M less really wasn't that big of a deal. Everybody had pretty good facilities, so the marginal value of those additional dollars was very low.

Marginal value of pay to play dollars destroys everything in the history of college sports recruiting. Nothing's close. If you want an example, The North Dakota State goes from D2 to FCS dynasty and beating P5 schools in the blink of an eye. How? Providing total cost of attendance while competitors like UNI do not. That's what a couple grand a year does relative to their competition in recruiting. Now make that 10s and hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

I think you might realistically see some schools in the ISU range eventually shutter football, go all in on CBB and form another league or two like the Big East. Once you cut football, you can ax other women's sports easily with no title IX issues. These new leagues can basically run Men's and WBB programs, and maybe a few other sports for each run on shoestring budgets.

While college football is a way bigger business and media value than CBB, we're seeing the market value of BB players being quite high. Hell, at a place like ISU, legit NIL value can make a college basketball player pretty rich. You can pool the cash to just a handful of people, they have lucrative opportunities like showing up for a few days at some kids' bball camp in your name, etc.

It's in the realm of possibility for ISU to compete in basketball in this type of environment. It would take drastic measures, but it could happen.
The AD is not going to give up football revenue for competitiveness in basketball. These are separate interests, AD vs "NIL".

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

You still have college debt in your 40's? Where did you go to college, and how many years?

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA

I hope it doesn't come to that. I think in JPs radio interview he may have indicated that a new division could form to be a AAA sports type league for the pros and the rest would go back to something resembling the old model - I could see that happening.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Miami is not dolling out the money, local big ego business men are.
And we should absolutely jealous they have that available to them

I am quite certain Jamie Pollard’s entire perspective on this would be completely different if he had a couple of billionaires that wanted to fund NIL, as would the coaches.

It’s easy to be principled when you have no choice

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
And we should absolutely jealous they have that available to them

I am quite certain Jamie Pollard’s entire perspective on this would be completely different if he had a couple of billionaires that wanted to fund NIL, as would the coaches.

It’s easy to be principled when you have no choice
Just like he was against transfers when they were leaving ISU under Gregg but then was fine with it when Hoiberg started taking advantage of it.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
You could've done both - make them employees, pay stipends/wages, give them benefits, etc. that most schools could afford. Then you could make some allowances for actual NIL with some regulations. The intent was for a guy to actually make money of his N, I and L. Not a pay for play system. There would be plenty of shady crap - here's $500,000 for an autograph, but if you make them employees and concede on that, you have a shot at putting some oversight and regulation on it.

And before people say, "that's not fair" to limit or regulate NIL, first, you are doing that to allow players to benefit while securing the health of the college sports media industry for future generations of kids to get scholarships, stipends, etc. Second, much, if not most, of the value these kids have is because of the decades of past players and billions spent on developing brands at these schools.

Again, Armando Bacot for UNC is not valuable in a vaccum. If he's the exact same guy playing in the G-League, he has almost zero "NIL" value. He's just a guy that can get you 14 and 9 in a UNC uniform. Somehow a guy that would be a 2-way player, if not straight up G-League guy is making more in college than almost any G-League guy. Why do people think that is? The schools have a legit claim that they are creating NIL value for these players. It's hard to quantify, but it's undeniable and obvious.

A few years ago there were tons of #52 ISU jerseys being worn. What percentage of people that bought them were buying a Jeremiah George jersey that happens to also be an ISU jersey, vs. buying an ISU jersey that happens to have the number Jeremiah George wears?

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid