Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
its just not sustainable. this is chaos.
The amounts are sustainable. These ADs spend over $100 million. A few million on the most critical input is nothing.

What’s not sustainable is having no rules or regulations. Since it’s not technically pay to play, there’s still a lack of transparency and little on contracts. If athletes are deemed employees in the NCAA vs Johnson case, which this is making it clear they are, then a lot of this gets cleaned up. It won’t take long for there to be a collective bargaining agreement

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones1969

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Well - certainly not sustainable for ISU.
There are teams that can sustain it and are willing to do so. These powerful “haves” may not easily relinquish their advantage. I remain pretty pessimistic that this will work out well for ISU. Soon the SEC and B10 will have so much TV money that they can direct most of their donor money to NIL to buy them players. We need rules, but doubt they happen. If they do, I doubt they are equity based.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
The amounts are sustainable. These ADs spend over $100 million. A few million on the most critical input is nothing.

What’s not sustainable is having no rules or regulations. Since it’s not technically pay to play, there’s still a lack of transparency and little on contracts. If athletes are deemed employees in the NCAA vs Johnson case, which this is making it clear they are, then a lot of this gets cleaned up. It won’t take long for there to be a collective bargaining agreement

Collective bargaining...........okay. Who is the adversary......the university or the boosters footing the bill?

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
They could spend 100% of it before paying any taxes if the guidance around them is poor enough.

If some of them had jobs in high school with a W2 I wouldn't even be shocked if they think they can spend it all and still get a tax return back like they did when they worked at McDonalds ore Home Depot or somewhere.
Dude it’s gonna be a disaster. Broke, baby mamas, the whole nine yards.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Dude it’s gonna be a disaster. Broke, baby mamas, the whole nine yards.
I'm honestly waiting for the first round of players taking loans from agents or other institutions against their future earnings and then fizzling out and not making the league and being ****** financially at 22

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

A few million? If Miami is doling out a couple million for MBB, what about football. They also have a baseball team and that sport is a lot bigger in the south. This could be a $10 million a year deal. Maybe more.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Why are college sports attached to a college anymore? It seems silly to make 400K and attend class. We’re living in some weird ******* times.
Because this is the way everyone involved wanted it, including fans. Can't just grow it into a multi-billion dollar business and expect all the quaint things, like it being about students playing sports, to stay the same forever.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Think I said earlier or in another thread - zeroth law of economics: If something isn't sustainable, then it will eventually stop.

It's gonna take a couple years, but either rules on NIL will get passed to reduce this, the top 30 will split off to a superleague, something. 1 year contracts, unlimited free agency, and no salary caps is NOT sustainable.

I think the most likely is a union for players leads to an antitrust exemption and some hard rules on salary cap and transfers. Whether that is for all the P5/6 or whether it is for a 30ish team superleague is a big question.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Why are college sports attached to a college anymore? It seems silly to make 400K and attend class. We’re living in some weird ******* times.

How do you have 1 guy making $400k and 3 or 4 other guys making zero?

I mean LBJ makes 10x the other scrubs on his team, but the scrubs are making millions so they don't care. If I am making $0 and my coworker is making $1M, how motivated am I????

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE

Hey, college is for learning. Some of these players will learn if you take money from people, they will expect things from you and now might legally have a civil complaint. If a real contract was signed that is.
Before all this, the under the table money was non-traceable.