Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Why not? His job is to put together the best team he can put together. That is the name of the game...he has the resources to do so...he should use them. Sucks for us though!
Yeah we shouldn’t blame Self. I mean he is a scum bag but Tyrese is free game. I wouldn’t want TJ to not recruit a guy like Marcus Carr or Terrance Shannon solely because we don’t want to poach from conference members.

Didn’t there used to be a rule that if you transferred within the conference you had to sit out multiple years? Not 100% sure but I think that’d be a no brainer rule to come back (but only one year) now that NIL is a thing.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Basically the NIL goes from pay players to make your team better to: pay players to hamper your conference opponents while getting better. This could go very badly if unchecked.
Yeah I think inter conference transferring should be something controlled.

Edit: the more I think about it. It won’t happen. It’s becoming more player driven so they’re not going to hinder guys going places.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah I think inter conference transferring should be something controlled.
FWIW I realize we got Enaruna. I’m just saying with how this is going transferring within the conference to the top team could become a problem. Guys talk to others within the conference and become friends at times. Just something to think about.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Why not? His job is to put together the best team he can put together. That is the name of the game...he has the resources to do so...he should use them. Sucks for us though!
Yup. It would be like TJ not recruiting Pack or any other high profile big 12 player in the portal which would be stupid.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Shame? It's business. What did everyone think would happen when money legally becomes then be all/end all in "amateur" sports?

I think everyone needs to take a substance pill to alleviate themselves of their symbolism headache.

Tyrese wasn't recruited by TJ, but stuck out his first year anyway when ISU fired the coach which he committed. He was a huge cog in making TJ's first year a rousing success (22 wins and a sweet 16)..................................and now people want to boo him?

Stay classy ISU fans.
Stay classy? If this happens I hope he has more bench blisters than Yesefu. When athletes start transferring and making 6 figures, they can take the heat that comes along with it.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
He (Hunter) could also take a big payday elsewhere..

Which if he goes to KU that's disrespecting TJ, the school that recruited him, the fanbase, and the other players on the current squad.

No it's not. The "school" didn't recruit him......the coaches did.

The OG recruiting coach was let go.

All of the the players under said coach are gone.

He kept his commitment and helped the new coach get off to a great start. Helped ISU get off the mat.

This is business now. I don't think there is a "non-compete" clause in the LOI. So you better get use to it?

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I wonder how these big NIL deals will affect team chemistry. What if you think you are just as good, or close to as good as a guy pulling down $400,000/yr.? Do you want to see that guy succeed? Do you forget to pass him the ball and try and "get yours"?

Reactions: swisher

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
No it's not. The "school" didn't recruit him......the coaches did.

The OG recruiting coach was let go.

All of the the players under said coach are gone.

He kept his commitment and helped the new coach get off to a great start. Helped ISU get off the mat.

This is business now. I don't think there is a "non-compete" clause in the LOI. So you better get use to it?
Agree. How often does a school get to keep a recruit of Hunter’s caliber after a coaching change? At a school similar to ISU, I would guess that is extremely rare. So I will not be booing and I appreciate that he gave us 1 great year when he could have bailed and gone almost anywhere.

• Disagree
Reactions: jctisu and alarson

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Agree. How often does a school get to keep a recruit of Hunter’s caliber after a coaching change? At a school similar to ISU, I would guess that is extremely rare. So I will not be booing and I appreciate that he gave us 1 great year when he could have bailed and gone almost anywhere.
How's the view from up there on the highest horse of all time?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Right. If he ends up at KU I will not cheer when he is introduced. But I won't boo either.

Now, if he flips off the Hilton crowd like Drew Gooden.....................?