Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Whether Tyrese is in Ames or Austin, his NBA future has always been in his hands. The difference isn't going to be TJ or Beard- it's all about if Tyrese does the work over the next few years to maximize his game.

So while he is honing his game, why not make some cash? Hundreds of thousands isn't generational money, but it does allow he and his family to live comfortably until Tyrese makes the move to the NBA or an International League.

I don't believe there is 1 person on this board who if they had the decision to make ISU NIL $ or make UT NIL $ wouldn't take the $ that Tyrese will make.

All true, but it's also understandable why 100% of Cyclone fans would dislike Texas, maybe more than any other program/team in sports.

The two can simultaneously exist.

I'd have hoped Texas went winless in all sports next year regardless of who is on their roster. If Tyrese had gone to almost any other school I'd have probably pulled for the team because I like him as a person and a player.

Nobody is irrational for wanting Texas to lose given what they have done to the Big 12, ISU and college sports in general.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
The vast majority of Iowa State's guys that get minutes next year will have transferred in, also looking for what they perceive to be a better opportunity. The loyalty aspect doesn't hold a ton of water with players that age at this point...
How much did we pay the new batch of minute takers? Now compare that to the TH situation

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones1969

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
How much did we pay the new batch of minute takers? Now compare that to the TH situation
We have literally no idea just like we have no idea what Hunter actually got at Texas.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. I freaking hate where we are but if kids can get theirs as everybody else around them gets filthy wealthy, more power to them.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
I'm disappointed he left, but he did. Oh well. The analysis by some that he sucks, isn't NBA material and will flame out, despite the fact that those 5 teams and those coaches were interested, is just silly. He's good and will get better, a lot better.
He is not a can’t miss NBA prospect. His shooting will improve but he will never be a good shooter unless he totally change his shooting mechanics

rickyrudd

Oct 10, 2010
I find it so odd that a kid coming to Iowa State - a decision which displays a certain level of belief and loyalty in a program/staff whilst turning down paying suitors in the process - would leave for freaking TEXA$. The foremost f***king trash bin, backwater, disreputable heap of jizz rags program possible. I can accept that he wants to move on from a program to "get his". BUT TEXA$$$$$$$$?!

Money makes people do really stupid things.
Austin, TX is backwater, as compared to Ames, IA?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We have literally no idea just like we have no idea what Hunter actually got at Texas.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. I freaking hate where we are but if kids can get theirs as everybody else around them gets filthy wealthy, more power to them.

The 'whar loyalty!?' thing needs an '*' since loyalty is easier without other better options.

Anyone saying they wouldn't do the same thing or at least heavily consider it 'back in their day' with all the resources of today available is straight up lying.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
It's hard to feel too bitter when we are going to likely roll out 5 starters who transferred from other schools. I hope our crowd gives him hell but beyond our games against him, I won't have any more ill will for him than I would every other Texas player (minus Andrew Jones, I'll root for him every day of the week).

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I'd have hoped Texas went winless in all sports next year regardless of who is on their roster.
To me this is worse than if he went to Kansas, at least if we went there we know he wants to play for a national title for a blue blood. This might be the first high level transfer like this who decided to transfer a substantial step down.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
at least it wasnt KU or another team that will realistically win the big 12.

he can enjoy playing in an empty gym with **** environment, all while cashing those checks from a team whose whole brand is underachieving while pretending to be a big deal. have at it.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Texas was 3rd in conference (when conference wasn't that great) and 1-1 in NCAA tournament with Kevin Durant...probably the best offensive player I've seen in a college basketball uniform.
Yeah, their basketball tradition is pathetic. That state has almost 30 million people and they struggle to get 5,000 to show up.

Plus he should have a blast in the fall watching the football team lose to Kansas again.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's hard to feel too bitter when we are going to likely roll out 5 starters who transferred from other schools. I hope our crowd gives him hell but beyond our games against him, I won't have any more ill will for him than I would every other Texas player (minus Andrew Jones, I'll root for him every day of the week).

The Andrew Jones story is truly great.

Tyrese's has been to. He's living in his time and doing what kids in his time do.

People are treating this like when Lebron went to South Beach.