TX School Song

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The Lee quote in question is just “The eyes of the South are upon you.”

Well, at least one guy who studies this says it was a way for Lee to remind his students to uphold Southern traditions. That always means the same thing, every single time.
So it might not look overtly racist, which is how this game is played, but there's a 100% guarantee there's a racist background to Lee saying it repeatedly.

• Informative
Reactions: WooBadger18

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Why don't they just change the lyrics? That would be such an easy adjustment and could be handled professionally.

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
Originally, I didn’t see what the huge deal with the song was. I supported players not having to sing it if they weren’t comfortable. But seeing all the blatant racists coming out of the woodwork to defend a stupid song is ridiculous. Makes you think that maybe these donors just enjoy having power over these athletes (a very large percentage of whom are black)...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, at least one guy who studies this says it was a way for Lee to remind his students to uphold Southern traditions. That always means the same thing, every single time.
So it might not look overtly racist, which is how this game is played, but there's a 100% guarantee there's a racist background to Lee saying it repeatedly.

Nothing says Southern tradition like a bunch of rich white guys trying to intimidate young men by threatening to blackball them for employment in Texas because they feel they are acting "uppity". Must appreciate getting to work in the big house with the masters family and not working the fields! :rolleyes:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Nothing says Southern tradition like a bunch of rich white guys trying to intimidate young men by threatening to blackball them for employment in Texas because they feel they are acting "uppity". Must appreciate getting to work in the big house with the masters family and not working the fields! :rolleyes:

I have a feeling we'd all be frightened to see how much of that exists in college sports. That's just a suspicion of mine, but it sure sounds like a convenient fit.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I have a feeling we'd all be frightened to see how much of that exists in college sports. That's just a suspicion of mine, but it sure sounds like a convenient fit.

Oh, I think it's pretty common to promise employment "opportunities" at some intuitions especially when it comes to retaining the top talent within some states. The late Sid Hartman was always opening touting that in his columns for decades although up here I think it was just his bluster and ******** homerism. I've heard of it as a promise but not so much as a threat like in Texas but it's just the other face of it.

Mrpopps

Apr 3, 2020

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Reactions: surly

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
LOL Perfect. Divide the university community into warring factions. Great show of leadership and vision by Texas AD.
No kidding. Not all knots are Gordian, Texas.

Reactions: Peter

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron