Two head coaches come to your house to recruit you

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
IIrc when Coach K was out for a few games in recent years, Duke wouldn't do very well.

Someone coming and taking over the program may be different but I expect a drop off.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
These days, it just depends on which school's NIL package is the greatest. Now that buying players has been legalized, however will the cheaters like UNC and KU continue to cheat?

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: ruflosn and jay moe

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Jon Scheyer and Hubert Davis.

After watching and listening to Davis this tournament, I think Duke is going to take a back seat to Carolina for a while.

He's always been likable. He was good in his role with ESPN and seems like a guy that will connect well with his players. He'll get talent but he'll never sneak up on anyone again.

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
North Carolina went through the Duke situation when Dean Smith left, and got beat up a bit. Roy stabilized the program a bit. Davis is a great coach, on the face of it, but long-term success is yet to be seen. Parity, in the form of talent, makes it harder today.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Career rule #1. - Never try to follow Legend. No matter how good you are following a Bob Knight, Coach K, Barry Switzer, etc you will never measure up.

• Winner
Reactions: ruflosn

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Coach K's assistants have not had very much success as head coaches. Quinn Snyder has been successful in the NBA, but didn't do great at Mizzou. Jeff Capel had a couple good seasons at Oklahoma, but that was mainly due to Blake Griffin.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Davis seems really good and since he's just getting started, it may likely just be him learning but UNC wasn't very good situationally from what I watched. Again, it might be nothing but it almost cost them against Baylor and it cost them last night (amongst many other things). It's the only concern there though. He's going to get dudes and they're going to play hard for him. That sets a ridiculously high floor.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

algonacy

Feb 19, 2012
Iowa
I don't know that Davis has proven himself as a coach yet. I would give that time still. I mean as a coach, he played exactly 7 players last night in the biggest game of his short career. And one of those 7 only got 2 minutes because a starter went down with injuries. If he wasn't so worn down from playing so many minutes in the whole tournament, does he last the whole game? Anyway, the short of it is.... we'll see.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Scheyer gives off trust fund kid vibes. Played at Duke, handed an assistant job at Duke and then handed head coach gig at Duke. Paid zero dues. Give me Davis all day.

• Agree
Reactions: ruflosn

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I didn't pay real close attention to this, but I know at least once down the stretch in a key spot Hubert wasn't even doing the coaching in the huddle, it was an assistant. Nothing wrong with that, but I was surprised he wasn't even in the huddle. He was standing off to the side.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I didn't pay real close attention to this, but I know at least once down the stretch in a key spot Hubert wasn't even doing the coaching in the huddle, it was an assistant. Nothing wrong with that, but I was surprised he wasn't even in the huddle. He was standing off to the side.
I was noticing this throughout the tournament, it seems like a lot of teams have an assistant running the huddle - especially if they are running a specific play - inbounds, press break, etc.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I really liked Hubert after watching a few interviews of him throughout the season and throughout the tourney only confirmed my opinion. Seems like a really good dude