Twitter. Seriously?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I'm too lazy to sort through the bs of recruits and players. The good stuff finds it's way here within the hour. I could see following CW, Hines, Trey Scott, etc., but I can also just go to their websites to see the latest.
Twitter is starting to be their websites.

Ex Nebraskan from Clarks was the co inventor and he also was a driver in Blogger at Pyra Labs later bought by Google and recently Medium service:

Evan Williams (entrepreneur) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clarks, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - 369 people

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I have no problem with a shout out to a recruit after an offer or visit. But really, tweeting them that we have a state of the art weight facility? I'm sure the coaches touched on that at some point. Let the coaches recruit, it is their job. The same people that are tweeting these guys on a regular basis need to pull the reigns a little is all. The tweet that sparked me to start this thread was one tweet at clinksales that was bashing the B1G and SEC. I mean we have one win and you're gunna trash the SEC? Settle your measuring contests without tweeting recruits. /rant

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I think even the most hardcore Twitter defender would have to admit that a former star player tweeting at a recruit is not the same thing as Joe Schmoe in section G who spends to much time obsessing over recruiting.

Of course.... But people love attention...it only hurts when people are stupid and many are on Twitter of every fanbase.

RoseBowlBound

Sep 13, 2011
Iowa City via WDM
I pretty much agree. There is a difference between normal congrats stuff and the desperation you see with clinksales or really any big star no matter the program. Just seems a little weird to me.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
I don't find recruitment particularly interesting. However, I get a lot of recruit news from ISUGoldenRule who seems do a pretty good job retweeting "important" recruitment news. He also retweets interesting Big 12 tidbits from other schools.

I will follow players who committed once in a while, but not very often.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I think its stupid too. A fan is not going to be successful convincing a recruit to go to one school over the other especially via twitter. It can only do harm when people do stupid stuff like this. Plus I'm pretty sure it is technically an NCAA violation because the fan is considered a "booster" of the school.

My understanding is that you're right, it is a violation although probably the most unenforced violation ever. And who knows, maybe with all the rule changes it has gone or will go away.

I follow one recruit on Twitter but absolutely do not interact with him. As others have said, it is creepy and just comes off as being a real loser thing to do. Some people do, however, and I think it looks rather pathetic.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I really don't understand how a sports fan doesn't utilize Twitter

I get that many people like Twitter, and I think it has great value for certain things.

But seriously, you can be an avid sports fan without Twitter. I love sports and follow many different teams, but I can't really think of any piece of sports info so important that it would adversely affect my life if I didn't get that info the instant that it became available.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I get that many people like Twitter, and I think it has great value for certain things.

But seriously, you can be an avid sports fan without Twitter. I love sports and follow many different teams, but I can't really think of any piece of sports info so important that it would adversely affect my life if I didn't get that info the instant that it became available.

You can be an avid sports fan and not use Twitter, I just don't understand why you wouldn't if you like to be up to date on what's out there. Finding out a certain player is in sweats a half hour before the game while everyone is warming up doesn't adversely affect my life but it's still nice to know.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I don't find recruitment particularly interesting. However, I get a lot of recruit news from ISUGoldenRule who seems do a pretty good job retweeting "important" recruitment news. He also retweets interesting Big 12 tidbits from other schools.

I had to unfollow that dude. At times he would tweet some things that are just ridiculous.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

I love it for in game injury reports, news as to why a guy is not playing, interesting stats, scores to other games, ect when at ISU games and even watching away games. The announcers on TV are hardly ever all that good, and almost always have little familiarity with ISU.

Following guys like Scott, Hines, CW, Brent Blum, Ben Bruns, ect gives me real time feedback on what is happening and vastly improves how much I enjoy a sporting even.

For example, Ben Bruns gives real time updates on how the line is looking and when ISU or the opponent gets away with a holding call, or something along those lines. He has a specialized knowledge of those things and I couldn't get that info elsewhere.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I love it for in game injury reports, news as to why a guy is not playing, interesting stats, scores to other games, ect when at ISU games and even watching away games. The announcers on TV are hardly ever all that good, and almost always have little familiarity with ISU.

Following guys like Scott, Hines, CW, Brent Blum, Ben Bruns, ect gives me real time feedback on what is happening and vastly improves how much I enjoy a sporting even.

For example, Ben Bruns gives real time updates on how the line is looking and when ISU or the opponent gets away with a holding call, or something along those lines. He has a specialized knowledge of those things and I couldn't get that info elsewhere.

Fair enough. However, for me, when watching a game, most of those things are just a distraction to the game atmosphere. I can see the game, and I like to form my own opinion on what I observed, and then perhaps compare it to what others observed after the game is over. For example, at the Baylor game, I'm not really sure that getting up-to-the-second stats or Brun's commentary on how the line was performing would have enhanced anything that I hadn't already observed. In addition, lots of interesting stuff goes on between plays on the sidelines, with the officials, etc. that I would miss if I was checking Twitter after every play.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Fair enough. However, for me, when watching a game, most of those things are just a distraction to the game atmosphere. I can see the game, and I like to form my own opinion on what I observed, and then perhaps compare it to what others observed after the game is over. For example, at the Baylor game, I'm not really sure that getting up-to-the-second stats or Brun's commentary on how the line was performing would have enhanced anything that I hadn't already observed. In addition, lots of interesting stuff goes on between plays on the sidelines, with the officials, etc. that I would miss if I was checking Twitter after every play.

All good points. To each his own. I find myself at actual games with long *** TV timeouts and plenty of time to check.

And I'm not sure there is anything on earth that could have enhanced that Baylor game or made it in any way enjoyable.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Ha ha, You are the epitome of Old School. The techies have moved on.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

And actually, what are you watching on the sidelines during a TV timeout? What could the refs possibly be doing that is intereresting? Not trying to be a ****, I have seriously no idea what you could be entertained by at that point. It's just players huddling up with their position coaches or sitting on a bench. Refs are just standing there waiting to get the ball and start play up.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
And actually, what are you watching on the sidelines during a TV timeout? What could the refs possibly be doing that is intereresting? Not trying to be a ****, I have seriously no idea what you could be entertained by at that point. It's just players huddling up with their position coaches or sitting on a bench. Refs are just standing there waiting to get the ball and start play up.

The stuff going on is fascinating to me. For example, during nearly every TV time out at Baylor, Rhoads called two officials over to discuss something down at about the 20 yd line on the tarp end. Sometimes it appeared rather heated, sometimes it wasn't. After they were done and walking away, I would watch the reactions from Rhoads and the officials. Usually the officials were just shaking their heads and tossing their hands up as if they didn't understand, and Rhoads would occasionally be shaking his head. I was also observing if Briles was doing the same thing but he wasn't. Nobody from Baylor appeared to be engaging the officials during the timeouts.

The huddles with the coaches are also very indicative. You can see the disposition of the players and the coaches. Are the coaches teaching, are they ticked off etc. Are the players fired up, or do they look beat down?

Really, it seems that I am observing first hand some of the same things that you get tweeted to you. When feasible, I'd just rather observe it myself than have somebody tell me what happened.

Reactions: Rhoadhoused

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
I don't find recruitment particularly interesting. However, I get a lot of recruit news from ISUGoldenRule who seems do a pretty good job retweeting "important" recruitment news. He oalso retweets interesting Big 12 tidbits from other schools.

I followed that guy for awhile, but some of the stuff he says is just too much for me, he also tweets at recruits constantly, I had to unfollow him.

UraMallas

Jan 9, 2013
Some people like being tweeted at. As you can tell, Clinkscales is one. He might think it funny that so many people are tweeting at him but I am pretty sure he enjoys it. Nothing wrong with keeping ISU fresh in the mind. He keeps egging it on, too. He tweeted about ISU's practice facility in what was probably a bit of a tongue-in-cheek manner but I think the retweets and favorites he got were more of a "these guys are crazy!" then a "these guys are crazy..." I think he genuinely enjoys it.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Some people like being tweeted at. As you can tell, Clinkscales is one. He might think it funny that so many people are tweeting at him but I am pretty sure he enjoys it. Nothing wrong with keeping ISU fresh in the mind. He keeps egging it on, too. He tweeted about ISU's practice facility in what was probably a bit of a tongue-in-cheek manner but I think the retweets and favorites he got were more of a "these guys are crazy!" then a "these guys are crazy..." I think he genuinely enjoys it.

I think he literally retweets every single time a fan tweets at him. He also says stuff like "Where my KSU fans at" and does that for like 5 or 6 schools.When they talk trash to each other, he retweets it and other fans join in and it becomes an even bigger ******* match.

UraMallas

Jan 9, 2013
I think he literally retweets every single time a fan tweets at him. He also says stuff like "Where my KSU fans at" and does that for like 5 or 6 schools.When they talk trash to each other, he retweets it and other fans join in and it becomes an even bigger ******* match.
I think that's accurate. If he enjoys it, I say let'em have his fun!