Twister Sister Summary - train blows a tire or two but win

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I’m saying right up front I couldn’t watch this one because it was on Bally…which sucks. but a few things to drop out there for all of you to discuss.

Joens Sr and Donarski had horrendous night shooting. Joens goes 5-25 and Donarski goes 1-12.

Joens Sr pulls down 13 boards

Donarski continues to draw the tough defensive assignment

the two headed monster - Kane/Jordaro - continue to get the job done. 25 points and 13 boards.

Ryan just gets it done. 22 points, 4 boards and 8 assists. How many assists might she have if shots fell?

M&M puts in 24 min and 9 points

three point shooting was abysmal.

those of you that watched it…what did you see?

• Informative
Reactions: isucy86

TrulyCyclone

Jul 31, 2021
I saw very tough defense tonight. Robertson couldn't get anything going, mostly because of Donarski. Tough shooting for sure, but having a bad shooting night from our two best players and scoring 81 leaves me encouraged with the supporting cast.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
When Sooners review video of this game they are going to be pretty unhappy with the number of layups and bunnies they missed. Would have been a closer game if they had converted some of those although still think we win by five or so.

Ryan posting up some of their short guards reminded me why I am not a fan of the 5'-5" or shorter mini guards that Iowa HS fans all fall in love with and want ISU to recruit. Their mini-guard Tot was super crazy fast in the open court but mini-guards can be a pretty big liability in half court defense if you have a big guard with patience like Ryan.

Both teams no so hot from three.

Lot of all out effort and hustle from both teams. I won't mind tuning in to watch Sooners in other Big 12 games.

Sometimes I think the Sooners would be better if Taylor Robertson was not on the court for 40 minutes. She really didn't do much of anything this game. She's good in 90 to 90 something games when she's stroking threes but not so much if it is not that kind of game.

Won't be able to afford many games where our two top scorers go ice cold. Good thing the posts made up for it some but they probably won't do that against KSU. Baylor and Texas.

Mentioned in game thread how impressed I am that Espenmiller-McGraw came back playing as well as she is after missing so much practice and conditioning. Just like last year when she popped right back in like she never missed anything. Looks like she might have grabbed a lot of Aubrey's minutes already and Joens has been playing really well this season.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
It was a rough, physical game. Proud of how tough our team was and we didn’t back down. Lexi’s defense is amazing. Ryan is playing with a ton of confidence.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
It was a rough, physical game. Proud of how tough our team was and we didn’t back down. Lexi’s defense is amazing. Ryan is playing with a ton of confidence.
Ryan is one of the most unique players I've seen at Iowa State since maybe Wilson...smart, astutely so, confident, skilled, with encompassing leadership.

When some considered her the best get of the 2020 class, I deferred to Lexi. But I now have to concede she is pretty special as a Sophmore to the point of being simply astounding.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA

When they were coming out of the timeout CBF called when they cut it to six they should us coming out of the huddle and I was struck at how calm they looked - then they methodically stretched the lead back out to double digits.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
When they were coming out of the timeout CBF called when they cut it to six they should us coming out of the huddle and I was struck at how calm they looked - then they methodically stretched the lead back out to double digits.

Saw that to....looked really focused.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
A couple things caught my eye -

The attendance as seen on TY looked pathetic - a LOT of open lower seats! Jenny even commented post game (on Bally TV) that she hoped fans would come out and watch the team. Too bad, if they can't get up for a game like this one, odds for improvement seem slim. Which leads me wondering - why would recruits want to play for such sparse fan support - at OU or other universities??

I thought OU fast track offense was out of control too often - seemed like a lot of run and chuck up a 3-pointer, often missing, in which we got the rebound. Also, some wild passes.

Aubrey had another tough game offensively - second in a row. Looks like the scouting reports says to guard her closer on the wing/baseline to limit her getting the ball or open shots.

I thought Ashley pushed it too hard down low, had several shots blocked, needs to share the ball a bit more.

Emily - what more can you say - outstanding blue collar effort.

M&M - love her, made several key 3's.

Second straight game with about 25 points between the post players. That's huge and if continued should really help balance the outside shooting.

Reactions: StClone and ISU71

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think this team's natural step forward is Ashley trusting the supporting cast. There have certainly been times in years past where she had to force the issue offensively because we lacked other options, but that isn't the case this year. One play that jumped out to me was towards the end of the 3rd quarter she had a steal and runout where she had someone (can't remember who) wide open streaking to the block. She instead drove in on her own with quite a bit of contact that wasn't called and eventually made the shot. She made the shot, no foul was called, but it's one of those where you just have to give it up.

An awesome player whose hard work is unmatched, but she has to become a willing passer for this team to hit its full potential.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
I like how Jordao and Kane are playing recently. They seem to be finishing around the basket a lot more and are playing so much more physical. That will be needed when we play the likes of Baylor/Texas, although Baylor seems to have taken a big step back without Mulkey.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Watched the game live then watched the video again. Tough game as the refs let both teams play but were IMHO inconsistent would call a touch foul and then let someone knock or hack a player and call nothing. Calls were not one way both teams got poor calls. Lexi's scoring was off I believe because of the tough defense she had to play on Robertson. Ashley was getting doubled every time she went into the paint by players as big as she is so made it very hard to get a shot and few calls were made. What I really liked was it was a TEAM effort by a great group of Cyclones. On to the next 40 minutes on Saturday.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I think this team's natural step forward is Ashley trusting the supporting cast. There have certainly been times in years past where she had to force the issue offensively because we lacked other options, but that isn't the case this year. One play that jumped out to me was towards the end of the 3rd quarter she had a steal and runout where she had someone (can't remember who) wide open streaking to the block. She instead drove in on her own with quite a bit of contact that wasn't called and eventually made the shot. She made the shot, no foul was called, but it's one of those where you just have to give it up.

An awesome player whose hard work is unmatched, but she has to become a willing passer for this team to hit its full potential.

I've said the same thing. This is one of the most potent teams I’ve seen at ISU since the Gahan-Welle-Taylor-Frese-Francis days. Lots of options…a pick your poison type of thing. What Joens has to realize is that the more she shares the easier it is for her.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013

MEM

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron