Twister Sister Summary...the Fun Continues

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
What a pleasure this team is to watch. I’ve touted so many characteristics of this team that make it a joy to watch. First and foremost...they are a team in every sense of the word. They care about each other and I mean care about every member of the team. They are selfless. Sharing. Hard nosed. Supremely talented. They find joy in the game. If you haven’t seen them yet, you have one more chance at Hilton.

Today's game started out with both teams showing they could hit the three. Right out of the blocks it was one team offsetting the other with a basket and suddenly it was 8-8. That was the last time the game was close. From there the Sisters would clamp down on defense and continue scoring and the lead was 8 before you knew what happened. Early on it was done with limited contribution by Carlton. Middleton was putting on a clinic of ball handling and slicing to the hoop. One move out did the next all night long. The threes were falling as Joens would connect...heck...nearly everyone was connecting. I could go on about each player (EVERY player on the team scored), but this was a team win. The extra passes, the rebounding, the offensive boards, everything just took the spirit out of NMSU. The team literally ran them to death. By the end of the first half NMSU looked gassed. It showed on the scoreboard as well as the ladies led 50-26.

The third quarter was more of the same. Shut down defense, steals, break away baskets, crisp passing, it was all too much for NMSU as they led 80-44 when the bench started to see the court. I have to mention one player right off the bat. Nez was a monster out there today. She was like a magnet on the boards pulling down FOURTEEN of them. She was strong and aggressive. She helped on double teams. She had assists. She scored half a dozen points. She was inspiring to watch and received a standing ovation when she left the floor. Though Kristen wasn’t connecting from deep she had post moves that would make Shaq jealous. She made the NMSU players look pedestrian. Middleton not only hit for 15 points, but dished out 9 of ISU's 22...yes...22 assists on 34 made shots. Carlton was all over the floor. Not perfect, but the awesome senior leader doing her thing. Her 23 points were very workmanlike and we saw her end up on the floor many times.

One of my favorite stats is always free throw shooting. How does 87% sound? And on 23 attempts? Yep, these ladies just swished one after another hitting 20 of them. If fouls would have been called that were obvious we probably would have shot close to 40. The strength of this game was illustrated when Coach Fen substituted out all the starters with nearly nine minutes left in the game. While the subs didn’t score a lot, they still played salty defense against the NMSU starters. Every time a sub would score, the team on the bench would jump and clap. The crowd would go nuts. Especially fun was seeing A D Camber hit her first two treys. The smile on Coach Fen's face spoke volumes. When Mills scored the last points of the game, the team rushed her like she had set a record. What a fun group.

Monday will bring a much bigger challenge. Missouri State has some really good three point shooters. They play aggressive defense and can take you out of your flow. If the officials let them get away with their physical play it could be a close game. Of utmost importance is not leaving their shooters open on the perimeter. Are they as good as ISU? No. But they beat a higher seeded team and smacked Drake around twice this year. They are a very real threat. If we get the effort we had today and continue to hit our shots the Sisters will be ok. Defense will be critical. Let’s really pack the Hilton. Let’s get the men's team fans and the students in Hilton to make the place rock and roll. See you there!

Last edited:

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
What a pleasure this team is to watch. I’ve touted so many characteristics of this team that make it a joy to watch. First and foremost...they are a team in every sense of the word. They care about each other and I mean care about every member of the team. They are selfless. Sharing. Hard nosed. Supremely talented. They find joy in the game. If you haven’t seen them yet, you have one more chance at Hilton.

Today's game started out with both teams showing they could hit the three. Right out of the blocks it was one team offsetting the other with a basket and suddenly it was 8-8. That was the last time the game was close. From there the Sisters would clamp down on defense and continue scoring and the lead was 8 before you knew what happened. Early on it was done with limited contribution by Carlton. Middleton was putting on a clinic of ball handling and slicing to the hoop. One move out did the next all night long. The threes were falling as Joens would connect...heck...nearly everyone was connecting. I could go on about each player (EVERY player on the team scored), but this was a team win. The extra passes, the rebounding, the offensive boards, everything just took the spirit out of NMSU. The team literally ran them to death. By the end of the first half NMSU looked gassed. It showed on the scoreboard as well as the ladies led 50-26.

The third quarter was more of the same. Shut down defense, steals, break away baskets, crisp passing, it was all too much for NMSU as they led 80-44 when the bench started to see the court. I have to mention one player right off the bat. Nez was a monster out there today. She was like a magnet on the boards pulling down FOURTEEN of them. She was strong and aggressive. She helped on double teams. She had assists. She scored half a dozen points. She was inspiring to watch and received a standing ovation when she left the floor. Though Kristen wasn’t connecting from deep she had post moves that would make Shaq jealous. She made the NMSU players look pedestrian. Middleton not only hit for 15 points, but dished out 9 of ISU's 22...yes...22 assists on 34 made shots. Carlton was all over the floor. Not perfect, but the awesome senior leader doing her thing. Her 23 points were very workmanlike and we saw her end up on the floor many times.

One of my favorite stats is always free throw shooting. How does 87% sound? And on 23 attempts? Yep, these ladies just swished one after another hitting 20 of them. If fouls would have been called that were obvious we probably would have shot close to 40. The strength of this game was illustrated when Coach Fen substituted out all the starters with nearly nine minutes left in the game. While the subs didn’t score a lot, they still played salty defense against the NMSU starters. Every time a sub would score, the team on the bench would jump and clap. The crowd would go nuts. Especially fun was seeing A D Camber hit her first two treys. The smile on Coach Fen's face spoke volumes. When Mills scored the last points of the game, the team rushed her like she had set a record. What a fun group.

Monday will bring a much bigger challenge. Missouri State has some really good three point shooters. They play aggressive defense and can take you out of your flow. If the officials let them get away with their physical play it could be a close game. Of utmost importance is not leaving their shooters open on the perimeter. Are they as good as ISU? No. But they beat a higher seeded team and smacked Drake around twice this year. They are a very real threat. If we get the effort we had today and continue to hit our shots the Sisters will be ok. Defense will be critical. Let’s really pack the Hilton. Let’s get the men's team fans and the students in Hilton to make the place rock and roll. See you there!
The one thing that DePaul did that I felt hurt them was pressing the entire game. MSU broke it every time and mostly got open 3's. That won't happen on Monday. Like you said the defense needs to be solid and our shots need to fall. Rebounding will be the key to the winner.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Great game by the Sister's against a very physical team. Monday's game will be interesting in that Missouri State actually will bring some fans to the game. They had a good 300-400 at the game yesterday, so they do provide some support.

I look for more strong play by Iowa State and a favorable result.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

That game was a pleasure to watch (in my case, via ESPN.com)

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
The one thing that DePaul did that I felt hurt them was pressing the entire game. MSU broke it every time and mostly got open 3's. That won't happen on Monday. Like you said the defense needs to be solid and our shots need to fall. Rebounding will be the key to the winner.
I think DePaul got caught off guard thinking with a bit of air of superiority over playing a valley school.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
I think DePaul got caught off guard thinking with a bit of air of superiority over playing a valley school.
Creme had DePaul as the upset team going to the Chicago regional. MSU said otherwise and now two teams will play their tails off to get more respect.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Creme had DePaul as the upset team going to the Chicago regional. MSU said otherwise and now two teams will play their tails off to get more respect.

Creme is a media creation whose "respect" isn't worth the time it takes to look at his brackets. The committee already respected us by giving us a home court and clear path to the Sweet Sixteen. Not a give me by any means but we were and remain the favorites.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Sure hope there are more than just two (that's what I counted) concessions areas open tomorrow night?
If Hilton can't get it together to open and staff the place to serve food to a large crowd, then they shouldn't host NCAA tournament games anymore.
It was shameful yesterday.

Yikes, that won't be so bad for an 8:00 game Monday night but when hosting the 1st round you are going to have some people there all day. I might not want anything if I am there for three hours or less but if I am there for both games that's a stretch.

Of course we aren't known for our bachelor degrees in Concession Management. :rolleyes: #jacktrice

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Sure hope there are more than just two (that's what I counted) concessions areas open tomorrow night?
If Hilton can't get it together to open and staff the place to serve food to a large crowd, then they shouldn't host NCAA tournament games anymore.
It was shameful yesterday.

Ist time back in Hilton for years, and it was shameful. The water vending machine by my section was empty b4 ISU game started. I thought it was some sort of NCAA thing. No walking tacos which I was looking forward to.

barometriclow

Jan 31, 2009
Ankeny
Ist time back in Hilton for years, and it was shameful. The water vending machine by my section was empty b4 ISU game started. I thought it was some sort of NCAA thing. No walking tacos which I was looking forward to.
I had a walking taco?....?

Maybe they ran out. I got mine with a minute left in first game.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA

There was walking tacos. Did they run out. I got a pop and Gatorade at the walking taco stand between games.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron