Twister Sister Summary - Looking Ahead (Part 2)

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Brown is a lot of things, but a PG is not one of them. I think it's a typo and he meant PF, not PG.

EDIT: I see he did mean PG, which is puzzling to me, because I've never seen anyone but the OP refer to her as a PG.
If not a mistake (which I assume it has to be) it's fun either way.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Won’t the juniors this year get a covid year after their Sr. Year?
Yes. Donarski, Ryan, Diew, and Zingaro all have an option for a fifth year. They are the last class with that option.

Since Zingaro's first year was just a half year, we can assume she's taking the extra year, and the roster listed her as a redshirt sophomore even though technically her situation is identical to the other three.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
The Future
Things look bright in Cyclone country. Unlike previous years, the sisters don't have a singular player returning that the team will focus around. When Carleton was set to graduate we had a young Joens on the team as heir apparent. This year we don't. That doesn't mean the cupboard is bare, but quite the opposite. We have three all conference players in Fritz, Ryan and Donarski returning. The later two I'm sure determined to show better than they did this year. The former is a light just beginning to show her brightness. We have gained experience for players like Zingaro and Diew. So, we have a solid core to build around. Losing Vick is a small dent as we really didn't know what she brought to the table.

The recruits are another top ten class that includes:
Jalynn Bristow – Forward, 6-2 from Texas. She was the Miss Texas player of the year, averaged 25.8 points, 13.6 rebounds, 3.6 steals and 1.6 blocks per game and led her team to a state title.

Addy Brown – Point Guard, 6-3 from Kansas. She is a high school All American and the Kansas Gatorade POY. She averaged 20.4 points, 10.4 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 2.6 steals and 1.2 blocks per game and was a two time 1st team Class 6A All State player. Very cerebral and an on floor leader/coach.

Audi Crooks – Center, 6-3 from Iowa. Many of us had the chance to watch her perform in the State tournament this year. She dominated in 1A and had 49 points and 16 boards in the final. But its what she did in AAU that caught the coaches' eyes. She is a big body with great hands. Prior to the state tourney she had scored 2659 points and had 1313 rebounds.

Arianna Jackson – Guard, 5-9 from Iowa. Averaged nearly 20 ppg, shot 46% overall and 43% from three. 84% free throw shooter as a senior. Scored over 1000 career points. Quick!

Kelsey Joens – Guard, 5-10 from Iowa. The next Joens. Like each of her sisters before her she is her own style of player. Finished with 1,647 career points. Two time first team 5A pick. She and Crooks are both IPSWA first-team picks. This year she averaged 24.6 points, 11.9 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 4.0 steals playing for her sister.

Folks...there is a reason this class is ranked so highly. There is some serious talent entering the women's program that will both support and add to the existing talent. It's hard to say who will fill in the roles of departing players, but the added depth will be welcome. I expect Brown and Bristow to be immediate impact players, i.e. getting significant play time. Crooks has some development to do, but we will see her on the court as well. Jackson and Joens are wild cards. Both obviously have skills. We can hope that in year one they provide some rotation time for the guard court. The one I'm most excited about? Again a toss up between Bristow and Brown. Brown is a BIG point guard. Even if she moves to forward, it means she can move with and without the ball. Bristow is just a pure talent.

It's a good time to be a Twister Sister fan. There is a changing of the guard, but what I feel is most promising for next year is NOT having the one player everything rotates around. I much more like to think of the possibility of next year's team being a multi-headed beast that can strike inside and out and from multiple spots. The team is taking a Europe trip this summer that I'm sure will help gain some experience and sort things out. Personally, I'm just as excited for next year as I was this year...especially since there won't be any lofty expectations. Hang on....

They need center help. Zingaro is not an option.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Brown is a lot of things, but a PG is not one of them. I think it's a typo and he meant PF, not PG.

EDIT: I see he did mean PG, which is puzzling to me, because I've never seen anyone but the OP refer to her as a PG.
I always thought of her as a forward, but on her high school site and in some other publications she is listed as a point guard which really surprised me. I put it in here to share and see what everyone thought. IF she is indeed a PG then that speaks volumes to being a big ball handler/distributor.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
My hope for next season is that we can get some good limited play from the incoming freshman as they get acclimated to the college game to help our returning players, What I saw was Lexi having to always have a tough player to defend which then hurt her shooting if we can help her there I feel her shooting will come back, Emily at times tries to hard to give players an assist when she should just take a shot as she is a good shooter. This could help open up the post area. Diew needs to be more consistent night in night out or just be ready to come off the bench and see how it goes. In the post I would like to see us find a SO/JR from the pool with experience to help work Audy into the college game. That would give us 3 post players (15 fouls) to rotate. On paper we have a team that could be a more flowing type play on offense and still play good defense.

Reactions: acoustimac

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
This thread is sad after the Lexi news, but at least we still have Ryan, Fritz, and Diew, plus the younger players. Any idea what the staff will look for in the transfer portal? A Soares clone would be ideal, even a poor man's Soares. Will they try to replace Lexi, or spread her minutes among some of the younger players?

Junejax

Mar 2, 2013
Looking ahead: Emily Ryan is on pace for the all-time career assist record at ISU. (Insert plug for mred's outstanding thread tracking records.) Can't wait to see whoever emerges as the recipients for those passes.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
This thread is sad after the Lexi news, but at least we still have Ryan, Fritz, and Diew, plus the younger players. Any idea what the staff will look for in the transfer portal? A Soares clone would be ideal, even a poor man's Soares. Will they try to replace Lexi, or spread her minutes among some of the younger players?
I thought I caught in Bill's interview yesterday on KXNO that they are looking to add a couple players- specifically mentioned adding a guard. That makes sense, would seem like he would want to add replacements for Lexi and Maggie Vick.

Last edited:

Junejax

Mar 2, 2013
Also, I saw mention of a team trip to Europe this summer. Anyone know where they're headed? And do the incoming freshmen get to go? I'd think so, since they generally report in June IIRC.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I thought I caught in Bill's interview yesterday on KXNO that they are looking to add a couple players- specifically mentioned adding a guard. That makes sense, would seem like he would want to add replacements for Lexi and Maggie Vick.
IMHO - we need a BIG. Izzy is not the answer. Who will rebound next year? The huge sometimes forgotten part of Ashley’s game. I do not care if they can score, just rebound and play a little defense.
Also - definitely need a guard, preferably a creator.
Although some disagree, the portal will be extremely critical to our hope of a decent season imo. Without some good transfers I think we will struggle.

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
At least a European trip might be a selling point to a potential transfer. I liked how Izzy was growing at the end of this year, but she will not play 30+ minutes and Audi is an unknown now. Def need at least a Mo-level post.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I thought this thread would be the best place to post this. Provides some perspective for sure. Posted to Facebook.

Attachments

• 757E0B77-7B63-4B5A-B4A9-C7FB869B7146.jpeg
    757E0B77-7B63-4B5A-B4A9-C7FB869B7146.jpeg
    763.8 KB · Views: 71

jspeels

May 14, 2022
The only question I really have is if things were so bad, why didn’t they leave last year??? Joens comes back and they are all in. Steph gets hurt, Joens is done, and now they go?? I get MEM and Kane, they are seniors, Vick didn’t play..but Lex and Denae make no sense. Maybe Lex a new start…Denae was finding her game after injury. I’ve gained a ton of respect for Emily. Hope her leadership is what helps the new teammates the most! Go State!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
The only question I really have is if things were so bad, why didn’t they leave last year??? Joens comes back and they are all in. Steph gets hurt, Joens is done, and now they go?? I get MEM and Kane, they are seniors, Vick didn’t play..but Lex and Denae make no sense. Maybe Lex a new start…Denae was finding her game after injury. I’ve gained a ton of respect for Emily. Hope her leadership is what helps the new teammates the most! Go State!
I think as adults and fans looking back at actions and circumstances, we see things in such a different light. Recall, if you can, what was most import to you when you were 19-21 in college. Would you have been “strong” enough to leave a place where you thought you belonged for years? Not me.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron