Twister Sister Summary - holy buckets! holy buckets! holy buckets!

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Game just ended and my heart is beating like a hamster. After watching Ayoka Lee completely dominate ISU and KSU take an 11 point lead with four to go...somehow...some way...the sisters mounted a comeback and won the biggest game of the year so far. Holy buckets!

I can summarize the first three quarters of this game pretty easily. It was the Ayoka Lee show and a great demonstration of active defense by the wildcats. They held the sisters to 24 total points in the first half and only 9 in the second quarter. In the meantime, Lee was unstoppable. Every time she gained position at the charge line it was instant points. To make matters worse, our ladies just couldn't pull start the offense. Missed shots and a lack of team play put the team in a hole that was just frustrating at times. At the half it was 35-24 and the hole seemed deeper than that. Donarski was struggling mightily not hitting anything. Our posts were unable to stop Lee and couldn't get much offense of their own with the size difference KSU had inside. What was hopeful was that the KSU guard court was doing little to contribute. During the game I kept saying that I don't care what Lee does...get the offense on track.

The second half saw some offensive improvement as the 11 point halftime lead was whittled down to 7 after three quarters. We started to see some things go right for the ladies. Jordao was making some nice moves for points underneath. Ashley was finding ways to score. I have to give credit where credit is due though...every time the ladies made a run at KSU, the Wildcats found a way to answer back. Halfway through the fourth they had built the lead back up to 11 points and it seemed like things were over. At times I watched our team on offense and three of the players literally stood and watched Ashley and Emily try to do something. It wasn't working. Four minutes to go and it was looking pretty bleak.

Then...it...happened. The three ball. Over and over again. The three ball. Donarski heated up. Ashley hit. Kane hit. Two turnovers by KSU helped. Ayoka Lee disappeared. With seconds to go the sisters were down by one. Team ball took place and Ryan drove the middle of the lane and when the defense collapsed to cut her off she dished out to a wide open M&M. And...M&M shot the three...and...banked one in. Holy buckets! All of a sudden that 11 point lead for KSU was a TWO point lead for the sisters. No only was it a two point lead, but there were only 3.3 seconds left to the game. Fortunately, we had fouls to give and on the inbounds one tic went off and we fouled. On the next inbounds pass...an attempt to get it to Lee...the ball sailed over her head and out of bounds. ISU ball. One inbounds play later Ashley was on the line. One free throw later and a little pressure defense and the sisters had miraculously beaten one of the best teams in the conference on their court. Final ISU 73-70.

Observations

Free Throws - first of all, we got the crap beat out of us and couldn't get to the line. Late in the game we had attempted only two free throws. When does that happen besides in a men's game at OU? The worst part was the part of our game that is so good...was TERRIBLE tonight. Fifty percent. Three for six. Ashley missed all three of them. She's also the only one who shot any. Weird right?

Ashley Joens - somehow she managed to score 27 points and pull down 8 boards in this mess. It seemed like every time she drove the lane she was covered up completely. And yet...she still got it done. She shot 50% from the field in the process. POG here.

Donarski - man, did she struggle early. Heck, she has struggled the entire Big 12 season so far. Came into the game 1-12 from three. But when it mattered she found the range. She hit three treys late in the game that were HUGE.

Ryan - Not much in scoring. Seemed every time she drove the length of the KSU players really bothered her. But she still had 7 assists and a handful of rebounds. Solid.

Aubrey Joens - She has moved from mountain shaker to bench role player. Second game where she didn't attempt a single shot. Something has happened here.

The bigs - The first half was all about foul trouble. The second half showed progress. All three bigs played against Lee and all three failed most of the time against her. But, in the second half we saw the speed of Jordao come into play as she made some nice buckets by out quicking Lee. Final tally was 13 points and ZERO rebounds. Woof. That's what happens when you are playing one of the best posts in the country.

M&M - I saved her for last. Why? She is the hero of the game. She hit two big time treys tonight including the one that put ISU up by two late in the game. She is cool as ice and her play was so critical tonight. 12 points in 19 minutes of play. Kudos.

I have to talk a little about Ayoka Lee. She is so dominant inside IF she can gain position close to the basket. If she establishes at the charge line or closer its money in the bank. Keep her further out...not so much. As others had mentioned who have watched her play she doesn't move well up and down the court. Slow is an understatement. She also appeared to get tired towards the end of the game when it mattered most. She picked up 38 points, but started to miss. She also finally got in foul trouble and that altered her game. Dominant for three quarters. I suspect that was a part of the game plan.

Guess what folks? The sisters are ALONE in first place in the Big 12 conference. I'm not sure when the last time that happened was? ALONE. They have found a way. IF this game doesn't show people that this team is different than anything we've seen in a couple of decades nothing will. Wow. Holy Buckets!

Next up...OSU on Saturday. Bring 'em on.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
For Iowa State women's basketball to have *sustained* success on the court this conference season, Aubrey Joens HAS to get involved again. Another game with zero points (zero attempts!) and only 10 minutes of floor time? I don't know what's going on, but ISU simply MUST have her production back to keep this momentum up. Come on, Aubrey! We believe in you! Get your mojo back!!

That aside, that was a hell of a comeback tonight! It's always difficult to get wins in Manhattan and tonight was no exception. But they found a way and didn't lose their composure at the end. The shots fell when they needed to and the buckets for K-State dried up. Really nice quality win over a very good team (although I noticed in the box score that after Lee, their next highest scorer(s) had 7 points. I would expect a different game plan from them in Hilton. It likely won't be JUST the Ayoka Lee show when they visit.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
A major major error in your report, Acoustimac! It was Donarski and not Ryan that drove and dished to Maggie.

Sorry just trying to tweak you a little - I am twisted like that. Love your write-ups after each game. So detailed and you really catch the flavor or the game

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
For Iowa State women's basketball to have *sustained* success on the court this conference season, Aubrey Joens HAS to get involved again. Another game with zero points (zero attempts!) and only 10 minutes of floor time? I don't know what's going on, but ISU simply MUST have her production back to keep this momentum up. Come on, Aubrey! We believe in you! Get your mojo back!!

That aside, that was a hell of a comeback tonight! It's always difficult to get wins in Manhattan and tonight was no exception. But they found a way and didn't lose their composure at the end. The shots fell when they needed to and the buckets for K-State dried up. Really nice quality win over a very good team (although I noticed in the box score that after Lee, their next highest scorer(s) had 7 points. I would expect a different game plan from them in Hilton. It likely won't be JUST the Ayoka Lee show when they visit.
MEM will keep taking her minutes I believe.

• Agree
Reactions: Lyon309Cy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I checked in to see down 11 late. Just now realizing the comeback win! Awesome!

Ladies on the computer and the men on the radio tonite. kept the volume control on the computer busy. LOL

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This is a fun team to watch. Very fundamentally sound and play as a team. I went to ISU from 98-02 when we had probably the best team in school history with Welle Taylor and Freese and this team despite not having the player like Welle is playing as well as any team since then has.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
This is a fun team to watch. Very fundamentally sound and play as a team. I went to ISU from 98-02 when we had probably the best team in school history with Welle Taylor and Freese and this team despite not having the player like Welle is playing as well as any team since then has.

Can you imagine where this team could go with a center like ksu has? I'm really not complaining cause we are in much better position in the post than I thought we'd be this year.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
It felt similar to the LSU game, just not much hope down the stretch until 3 after 3 started falling.
Jordao and Kane combined for 8 rebounds I believe. Maybe Morgan should be shooting more from 3 :D

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
So, I'm guilty of not trusting the plan for the night. Let Lee get position down low and automatically score over and over and over again until she tires out and we get our 3 point shot back and pull it out in the last minute. I really wanted to front and double Lee all night or at least help the post D by crashing once the ball went in to her. But, it proved out I was wrong.

I have not watched K St (or better yet Lee and maybe 4 other players) all year. Is she really good at passing out of a double team and does the rest of her team finish at a high level or shoot lights out from 3? If that is the case I get our strategy. But, it just seemed that allowing her to basically get the ball at the restricted zone line and turn and score without any help at all was a dangerous strategy when she can hit like 80% of those shots and the officials are not going to call anything on her that gives her an advantage (3 seconds, elbow to the face, elbow to the neck, elbow to the torso, pinning with both arms/hands, hooking, etc.) Maybe we were thinking we would exchange her 2s for our 3s, but that doesn't even work well mathematically 80% X 2 > 50%X3.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the win and our gals deserved to get it. But I just wonder if anyone on here understood the plan. I'd like to understand it too. I definitely don't think Our coaches don't know what they are doing, but it just seemed so obvious.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So, I'm guilty of not trusting the plan for the night. Let Lee get position down low and automatically score over and over and over again until she tires out and we get our 3 point shot back and pull it out in the last minute. I really wanted to front and double Lee all night or at least help the post D by crashing once the ball went in to her. But, it proved out I was wrong.

I have not watched K St (or better yet Lee and maybe 4 other players) all year. Is she really good at passing out of a double team and does the rest of her team finish at a high level or shoot lights out from 3? If that is the case I get our strategy. But, it just seemed that allowing her to basically get the ball at the restricted zone line and turn and score without any help at all was a dangerous strategy when she can hit like 80% of those shots and the officials are not going to call anything on her that gives her an advantage (3 seconds, elbow to the face, elbow to the neck, elbow to the torso, pinning with both arms/hands, hooking, etc.) Maybe we were thinking we would exchange her 2s for our 3s, but that doesn't even work well mathematically 80% X 2 > 50%X3.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the win and our gals deserved to get it. But I just wonder if anyone on here understood the plan. I'd like to understand it too. I definitely don't think Our coaches don't know what they are doing, but it just seemed so obvious.
I think Bill believed that they could withstand the storm of Lee and she would eventually pick up some fouls considering how aggressive she is on the block. With another crew she could have fouled out in the first half. It was frustrating to see an ISU big take a Lee elbow to the neck with no call and then watch that flagrant call in the mens game.

I also take issue with you saying they "let Lee get position down low". They didn't let her, she took it. There are a lot of men's games where you won't see that physical of play in the post. She is strong and knows how to use her mass to pound defenders repeatedly until she has that position. As long as it isn't being called she is unguardable. Our posts did make her work and being that big did work against her in the second half - you could see that she was getting tired.

What a trial by fire for Izzi. She played against one of the best, most physical 5s she is going to see. This will pay dividends in her development.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I would tend to agree. It seems like there's typically a few games a year where I can't quite figure out the defensive strategy. I remember last year against Texas a similar strategy where we played behind Texas's bigs and they seemed to get whatever they wanted. I suppose there's some value in the concept of "let them get theres and shut down the guards" but it's a bit demoralizing watching them dump it down low for a nearly automatic basket and leaving our post defenders helpless.

But hey, it was a great road "W" so I suppose the proof is in the pudding!

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
It felt similar to the LSU game, just not much hope down the stretch until 3 after 3 started falling.
Jordao and Kane combined for 8 rebounds I believe. Maybe Morgan should be shooting more from 3 :D

Need to add one more rebound from our bigs for Izzi. As to the game plan if you watched the KSU vrs WVU game WVU tried to double her in the second half and KSU's guards destroyed them from the three line. Like everyone else on here I was worried about this game but our TEAM came through. We learned somethings about our post players against a very physical post and will be ready next time. As to Aubrey watch the last 4 games and you see every team that played us is putting a player in her face all the time as she is a spot-up shooter so we need to run some plays to pull that pl;ayer off her or she needs to start driving to the basket. She is still working hard getting rebounds so she is helping the team that way. Now on to OSU, go Cyclones.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
On Aubry, she still gets rebounds to affect winning but has not taken a shot the last two games. But she is not just throwing things up to "get hers". So being a team player. But on offense she has hardly even touched the ball. Coaches and teammates need to work with her to get her into scoring position.

On guarding Lee, I think the coaches respected KSU's outside shooting enough that they felt they could not truly double team Lee. Went the coaches do not respect the other team's outside shooting they will surround the post player with two or three as they have done many times over the years.