Twister Sister Summary - End of Season Reflection and Looking Forward Pt 2

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Aside from incoming talent, what style of play, in-game scheme, or player ability would you like to see in the future?

Some have proffered using some different offensive plays to utilize our player talents. Ashley and Emily are adept at reverse lay-ups. Lexi is less so but none of them use the skill of high banks.

One thing skill I would like to see is high backboard banks to overcome the disadvantage in size we have. It is tough to defend, and apparently, it's like learning trick shots in the game of pool regarding angles. Is there a reason this is not possible?
You raise a good question. one thing I saw Creighton do against us was that slice to the basket that seemed to work rather well off the double team. I’d like to see that type of play employed.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
You raise a good question. one thing I saw Creighton do against us was that slice to the basket that seemed to work rather well off the double team. I’d like to see that type of play employed.
Straight up! I wish I knew if they designed that for us or if it was something Creighton did all year. It worked so well I could see us not only mimic it but develop defensive sets to counter it.

Reactions: NWICY

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I believe so. You can never have too many talented wings. You could probably play decent offense with four really good wings and a point guard.
While it is nice to have many talented players the caveat is they must get playing time or as we have seen this year they leave and enter the transfer pool. The number of good players that we see in the pool has to make coaches step back and look at how they rotate their players. Except for the top few teams ( where players will stay just to say they played there) if you don't play someone they just leave.

Reactions: ISU71

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
From Iowa State's Official site--2022 WBB Recap:

Women's Basketball

AMES, Iowa - The Iowa State women's basketball team put a bow on the winningest season in program history with a trip to the Sweet 16. Iowa State finished the 2021-22 season with a 28-7 overall record and was ranked No. 10 in the AP Poll and No. 8 in the final coaches poll.
  • Iowa State set a new school record for wins in a season with 28. Iowa State also set a school record for conference wins, with 14 on the year.
  • Iowa State earned a three-seed in the NCAA Tournament, its highest seed since 2018-19. The Cyclones defeated No. 14 seed UT-Arlington and N0. 6 seed Georgia en route to the program's first Sweet 16 appearance since 2010.
  • Ashley Joens had another historic season. She became the fourth Cyclone in school history to be named to an AP All-America Team, joining Bridget Carleton (2018-19), Angie Welle (2000-01, 2001-02) and Stacy Frese (1999-00).
  • In addition, Joens earned the Cheryl Miller Award Winner for the second-straight season. Joens was also named to the prestigious WBCA Coaches' All-American Team, becoming the second Cyclone to make the team, joining Bridget Carleton in 2018-19.
  • Joens announced shortly after the season's end that she opted to use her extra year of eligibility and compete for the Cyclones for a fifth season.
  • Iowa State placed a league-high three on the All-Big 12 First Team with Ashley Joens earning a unanimous nod and Lexi Donarski and Emily Ryan making their debuts on the First Team. Iowa State's three All-Big 12 First Team selections set a program record, with ISU placing two on the First Team in 2012-13.
  • Lexi Donarski became the first Cyclone to earn Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. Donarski held her primary defensive assignment in league play to just 9.3 points and 30 percent shooting.
  • ISU netted 357 treys on the season, setting a new single-season program record (303, 2018-19) and the most in Big 12 history (325, K-State 2012-13).
  • Along with the barrage of 3-pointers, Iowa State was one of the most efficient 3-point shooting teams in the nation, ranking second in the country with a 38.9 percent 3-point shooting percentage.
  • Ashley Joens ranks seventh in the Big 12 history with 2,369 points. She is 65 points away from passing Baylor's Nina Davis (2,433) in sixth.
  • Emily Ryan was one of the best point guards in the nation in 2021-22. The sophomore broke Iowa State's single-season assist record with 249 dimes on the year. Her 249 dimes also ranked fourth in Big 12 history. Ryan's assist average of 7.11 also tied for ninth in league history.
  • Ryan also ranked third in the nation in both total assists (249) and assists per game (7.1).
  • Iowa State had one of the nation's top offenses, ranking 16th nationally averaging 76.4 points per contest.
  • Iowa State once again drew strong attendance, finishing second in the country, averaging 9,568 fans per game. In Iowa State's final game of the regular season, ISU drew a crowd of 13,907, which was second all-time at Iowa State. The Cyclones' 13,907 fans also marked the most since the program's lone sellout (14,092) on March 25, 2004 when it faced Saint Joseph's in the WNIT.
To view the complete end of season release, click here. (PDF)
Print Friendly Version

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
From Iowa State's Official site--2022 WBB Recap:

Women's Basketball

AMES, Iowa - The Iowa State women's basketball team put a bow on the winningest season in program history with a trip to the Sweet 16. Iowa State finished the 2021-22 season with a 28-7 overall record and was ranked No. 10 in the AP Poll and No. 8 in the final coaches poll.
  • Iowa State set a new school record for wins in a season with 28. Iowa State also set a school record for conference wins, with 14 on the year.
  • Iowa State earned a three-seed in the NCAA Tournament, its highest seed since 2018-19. The Cyclones defeated No. 14 seed UT-Arlington and N0. 6 seed Georgia en route to the program's first Sweet 16 appearance since 2010.
  • Ashley Joens had another historic season. She became the fourth Cyclone in school history to be named to an AP All-America Team, joining Bridget Carleton (2018-19), Angie Welle (2000-01, 2001-02) and Stacy Frese (1999-00).
  • In addition, Joens earned the Cheryl Miller Award Winner for the second-straight season. Joens was also named to the prestigious WBCA Coaches' All-American Team, becoming the second Cyclone to make the team, joining Bridget Carleton in 2018-19.
  • Joens announced shortly after the season's end that she opted to use her extra year of eligibility and compete for the Cyclones for a fifth season.
  • Iowa State placed a league-high three on the All-Big 12 First Team with Ashley Joens earning a unanimous nod and Lexi Donarski and Emily Ryan making their debuts on the First Team. Iowa State's three All-Big 12 First Team selections set a program record, with ISU placing two on the First Team in 2012-13.
  • Lexi Donarski became the first Cyclone to earn Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. Donarski held her primary defensive assignment in league play to just 9.3 points and 30 percent shooting.
  • ISU netted 357 treys on the season, setting a new single-season program record (303, 2018-19) and the most in Big 12 history (325, K-State 2012-13).
  • Along with the barrage of 3-pointers, Iowa State was one of the most efficient 3-point shooting teams in the nation, ranking second in the country with a 38.9 percent 3-point shooting percentage.
  • Ashley Joens ranks seventh in the Big 12 history with 2,369 points. She is 65 points away from passing Baylor's Nina Davis (2,433) in sixth.
  • Emily Ryan was one of the best point guards in the nation in 2021-22. The sophomore broke Iowa State's single-season assist record with 249 dimes on the year. Her 249 dimes also ranked fourth in Big 12 history. Ryan's assist average of 7.11 also tied for ninth in league history.
  • Ryan also ranked third in the nation in both total assists (249) and assists per game (7.1).
  • Iowa State had one of the nation's top offenses, ranking 16th nationally averaging 76.4 points per contest.
  • Iowa State once again drew strong attendance, finishing second in the country, averaging 9,568 fans per game. In Iowa State's final game of the regular season, ISU drew a crowd of 13,907, which was second all-time at Iowa State. The Cyclones' 13,907 fans also marked the most since the program's lone sellout (14,092) on March 25, 2004 when it faced Saint Joseph's in the WNIT.
To view the complete end of season release, click here. (PDF)
Print Friendly Version
The last game was well attended but I'm not sure where they got 13,907 for attendance. Well it's probably the 3,000 or so tickets that don't turn into people and then the actual people who came to the game. The good thing is there is a group of fans that financially support the program even if the seats aren't filled.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The last game was well attended but I'm not sure where they got 13,907 for attendance. Well it's probably the 3,000 or so tickets that don't turn into people and then the actual people who came to the game. The good thing is there is a group of fans that financially support the program even if the seats aren't filled.
It’s always tickets sold. Was a great crowd but nothing near that big

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Cyclad

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I haven't seen this posted, sure it is here someplace, but not under this recap thread:

Watch Donarski at the 1:20 mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimr

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
My original comment popped into my head. Recalling HS Basketball on several occasions, I had much shorter players who could easily frustrate me with a well-placed bank shot.

I don't consider it a disappearing art, just something that could be utilized more especially the really high off the backboard: