Twister Sister Summary - End of Season Reflection and Looking Forward Pt 2

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Observations
Ashley Joens - as of this writing, Ashley was just named the Cheryl Miller Forward of the Year for the second straight year. Really, that's almost all you need to say about her. Although her numbers were down from a year ago, she actually did more for the team this year than last. She became more adept at driving and finding open players when she was double teamed. She could step back and play a role when her teammates were hot. She was still tenacious on the boards. She was quite simply a better player and the leader of this team. Add to it 1st Team All Conference and All American honors.

The Sophs - Donarski, Ryan and Diew were integral parts of this team as they each stepped up their games. Donarski was the Big 12 defensive player of the year and quite literally harassed anyone she guarded into meltdowns. She wasn't always consistent scoring, but was always a threat. She showed excellent speed and had a burst to the hole that often left her defender behind. Ryan was the floor general. She could find players all over the court and by the end of the season broke a record that not many of us thought she could reach. But she did and became the season assist leader by dishing an amazing 249 assists. She was also a very consistent scorer at 13 ppg. These two evolved from talented freshmen to veteran players and both were named 1st Team All Conference as a result. Diew was the big surprise. No one knew what to expect from this tall, and yes I'll say it, gangly player from Butler. From early season hits and misses to the end of the season starter, Diew showed the greatest improvement from day 1 to end of season of anyone on the team. She blocked shots, played defense and became another scoring option on this talented team.

The Posts - All season long post play was a challenge. We saw several parts used interchangeably as Kane, Jordao, Zingaro, Diew and a few others played in the middle. There were some games where the posts were beaten by more talented athletes such as Baylor's Smith. In others, the group did a yeoman's job of matching up and either playing evenly or out-performing their opponents. Surprisingly, the group averaged around 15 points and 12 boards per game. It didn't always work out that way from game to game, but the plan put together by the staff and the depth at that position worked out nine times out of ten. There was never any doubt they all were working their butts off on the court. In the off season Jordao (who moves the best) needs to work on her shot and free throws. Zingaro came into the Georgia game and showed where her size and strength could be an asset rebounding. Also needs to work on her shot (needs to learn to get off the floor vertically). Kane is the starter as she has the most complete skill set of them all.

The Bench - M&M and Aubrey Joens are the only two players with significant minutes I've not mentioned so far. M&M continued to fight injuries early in the season just as she did much of last year. She had moments where she shined and made a huge difference and other times when things didn't work quite as well. The skills are definitely there and we have to hope this off-season will finally allow her to get healthy for next season. Because of some of the games where she was hot from deep she ended the season with the highest percentage from three on the team. Aubrey also had her up and downs. She had some games where she scored a bunch and others where the scoring wasn't there. But what was always there was her defense and rebounding efforts. For being one of the shorter players on the team she was always pulling down boards due to her aggressive nature and body placement.

The Deep Bench - as expected the remaining players on the bench saw time when there were blowouts (and there were quite a few) and that is about it. King will always be the Sarah Robson type player that we love, but is relegated to trash time. Vick and Frederick have a lot of growth to make in order to carve out any playing time on a very deep team. Time will tell what off-season workouts do for these players.

The Future
I've never seen a Cyclone team that quite literally returned every single starter and practically the entire team roster. The early Fennelly years saw us return strong cores of teams that won conference titles and went deep into the dance. But this is different. Expectations are going to be sky high next year. Everyone is saying this will be a definite Top 10 pre-season team and perhaps Top 5. I think the later is a bit much. We add a relative unknown in Shatavia Dawkins out of Canada. But she is supposed to be fast and athletic. That would be a boost to team depth. We return the two time All American, two time Cheryl Miller Award winner, three time 1st Team All Conference player in Ashley Joens. Fritz will be back. The team we saw at the end of the season will be even deeper at the beginning of next year and I think even more dangerous. What we don't know is if the coaches are pursuing any of the multitude of big posts that are in the transfer portal? Time will tell.

There are several games to circle on the calendar next year. First, the Phil Knight Invitational that includes Michigan State, North Carolina and Oregon. Good competition for us early season. Then the re-match with Iowa in Iowa City. Finally, the conference season with a loaded Texas squad (who will likely be picked first pre-season) and a rebuilding Baylor. OU will be back as will an improving KU. KSU returns Ayoka Lee. Nothing is easy, but if there was a time to make another move this is it.

Folks, it was fun this year. And I mean for everyone. Yes, I had a blast following the team and writing these things up for you. But it was so great to see the Coaches and players having a fun time together and seeing that translate to success on the court. Enjoy the off-season. We'll be back in November!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Yep and the coaching staff is following her on social media.
I saw on the school's website she is listed as a forward. Is she really someone that could step away from the basket and give us a true big lineup?

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I saw on the school's website she is listed as a forward. Is she really someone that could step away from the basket and give us a true big lineup?
She did shoot 26 threes this season and 59 her freshman year, but did it at 26%. Her shooting percentages overall are pretty low for a post (40% from the field, Kane was 61% this year, Jordao 53%) but maybe that would improve being in a better offense.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
She did shoot 26 threes this season and 59 her freshman year, but did it at 26%. Her shooting percentages overall are pretty low for a post (40% from the field, Kane was 61% this year, Jordao 53%) but maybe that would improve being in a better offense.

There's a lot more to playing away from the basket than 3P%.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
There's a lot more to playing away from the basket than 3P%.
I mean sure, but both 3P% and 3PA are at least a partial indicator of ability to play away from the basket. Just trying to add some stats because I'm guessing there aren't many here who have seen her play at Oregon State, if anybody has.

I did watch a few high school highlights of her though. She did handle the ball some and moves pretty well. But that was obviously a while ago and has the high school tape caveat.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

No idea I've never seen her play her younger sister is coming here in two years.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The younger sister is also?
No idea, don't even remember her name. MRed will know. I don't think much about this stuff till they get on campus, then I cheer for all whether starter or last off the bench in a 30 point win.

• Agree
Reactions: TrulyCyclone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Addy is 6'3. More of a forward than a post. She was 7-34 behind the arc and 125-208 inside the arc this past season. She shot 11-33 on threes the prior season.
The girl from Texas in her class. I believe she's 6'3 also. Her highlights looked like she was a SF. Is that the case?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Aside from incoming talent, what style of play, in-game scheme, or player ability would you like to see in the future?

Some have proffered using some different offensive plays to utilize our player talents. Ashley and Emily are adept at reverse lay-ups. Lexi is less so but none of them use the skill of high banks.

One thing skill I would like to see is high backboard banks to overcome the disadvantage in size we have. It is tough to defend, and apparently, it's like learning trick shots in the game of pool regarding angles. Is there a reason this is not possible?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I would like to hear Bill say, "Kennedy here are the keys to the Hilton if you come here..." Well, it works in some places...

I realize it is the coaches decision, but I hope when being really selective for a transfer they take the starters opinions into account. We had awesome chemistry this yr and we just need a little something to get us even better.

Reactions: StClone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I realize it is the coaches decision, but I hope when being really selective for a transfer they take the starters opinions into account. We had awesome chemistry this yr and we just need a little something to get us even better.
Too many chefs...

Help Support Us

Become a patron