Twister Sister Summary - End of season arrives in jarring style

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Against poor competition, you are correct, we were moving the ball well... The Big 12 was not good this year and even without Soares we still drastically underachieved. The brick wall Iowa State ran in to in the first round just lost by almost 50... that's embarrassing.
Ever notice all the other unexpected losses? It’s called March Madness for a reason. We played more than poor competition when Soares was avail…but obviously that doesn’t fit your narrative.

Reactions: VeloClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
All those wishing for Bill’s departure thinking a new coach will take us to heights never before known…take a look at Baylor post Mulkey

I'm in no hurry for Bill to leave but this post might not be as good as you think Baylor survived the 1st round. But yeah post Mulkey Baylor is not what they were.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I'm in no hurry for Bill to leave but this post might not be as good as you think Baylor survived the 1st round. But yeah post Mulkey Baylor is not what they were.
My point is they’ve quickly faded to a shadow of what they were…with no signs of stopping.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Against poor competition, you are correct, we were moving the ball well... The Big 12 was not good this year and even without Soares we still drastically underachieved. The brick wall Iowa State ran in to in the first round just lost by almost 50... that's embarrassing.
The Big 12 was 4th in conference RPI, behind the PAC-12, ACC, and SEC. The Big 10 was 5th, so what does that say about Iowa? The Pac-12 co-champion and 2021 national champion lost in the second round on their HOME floor. The Big 10 champion lost on their HOME floor. The ACC runner-up lost on their HOME floor.

Poor competition - we played the third hardest schedule in women's college basketball this year, with a Net Ranking of 13 and an RPI of 13. Our "poor competition" non-conference schedule was the country's 5th most difficult non-conference schedule.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
A frustrating end to a frustrating season. After the Big 12 tournament, I started believing again that this team could go on a little run in the tournament.

I thought the game drastically changed when they called 3 fouls in a row (2 on Lexi) at the end of the 3rd quarter. What I’ve noticed from Lexi this year is she’s a great defender when fouls aren’t being called. I feel like after she starts getting frustrated with fouls, she changes how she defends because she’s so scared of getting called for another foul. He defensive intensity goes out the window after a few touch fouls.

So where does Iowa State go from here?

- Hopefully Soares gets a waiver and chooses to return and is healthy.

-Hopefully Ryan, Donarski and Fritz and Diew all return. I assume they will but you never know anymore. If they all return, Iowa State needs them to make a big jump and help replace Joens scoring. Lexi, Ryan and Fritz all need to average 13+PPG, Diew needs to find some consistency and average closer to 10PPG.

-Does Izzy, Dawkins and Vick return? If so, can any of them become rotational pieces you can rely on? Personally, I have my doubts but they are hard working kids so I won’t say it’s impossible.

-Can any of the freshman be ready from day 1? It’s a big class in quantity. Bristow, Crooks, Brown, Jackson and Joens. I’d lean towards the first 3 being the most ready.

-Does Bill dip into the transfer portal and make an addition(s)? If so, what positions?

Big off-season for Bill and staff to put together a competitive roster and continue the winning ways after losing Joens.
I'm as optimistic as most, but my eyes need to be cleared on how high the expectations for Crooks are. If she gets into Big 12 condition form, fine. But until then, she's slow down the court and barely jumps.

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
The Big 12 was 4th in conference RPI, behind the PAC-12, ACC, and SEC. The Big 10 was 5th, so what does that say about Iowa? The Pac-12 co-champion and 2021 national champion lost in the second round on their HOME floor. The Big 10 champion lost on their HOME floor. The ACC runner-up lost on their HOME floor.

Poor competition - we played the third hardest schedule in women's college basketball this year, with a Net Ranking of 13 and an RPI of 13. Our "poor competition" non-conference schedule was the country's 5th most difficult non-conference schedule.
I agree. We played a very tough non con schedule. As I understand it that was by plan.
Conference - weak.

Reactions: acoustimac

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
I watched almost every ISU game this season. Definitely were highs & lows, but the team kept fighting back. At times it was frustrating to watch as "fans", but it had to have been really tough on the gals & CBF. These are college student-athletes who are getting an education.

ISU didn't have the season it was predicted to have, but after reaching the Big 12 Tournament, everything seemed to click. It was great watching them play as a team & having so much fun for 3 days.

We stayed around for the post-game festivities/celebrations & watched the team interact with their families/fans/coaches. The gals are such great role models for young kids. The genuine bond among teammates was also apparent. No one wanted the day to end. It would have been fitting to end the season in KC!

The gals persevered throughout the season & always gave their best effort. They should be complimented for their willingness to represent ISU both on & off the court in such a positive manner.

The Toledo game was a disappointment, but of course only 1 team ends the season with a victory.
Sarcastically wondering how many unhappy fans in the country are thinking that a new coach would be the solution???

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I agree. We played a very tough non con schedule. As I understand it that was by plan.
Conference - weak.
The Big 12 is right in line with every other conference. Our champions record is right with the other Power 5 conferences, and our worst team is up with everyone else. The only difference, we play everyone twice, and the other four do not.

Teams with records of .500 or better in conference play:
PAC-12 - 7/12 - 58.3% / best record 15-3, worst 1-17
ACC - 9/15 - 60% / best record 15-3 / worst 3-15
SEC - 7/14 - 50& / best record 16-0 / worst 2-14
Big 12 - 7/10 - 70% / best record 14-4 / worst 1-17
Big 10 - 7/14 - 50% / best record 16-2 / worst 2-16

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm as optimistic as most, but my eyes need to be cleared on how high the expectations for Crooks are. If she gets into Big 12 condition form, fine. But until then, she's slow down the court and barely jumps.
Crooks will have to prove her value.

A great post/center can jump well, and they are not the norm. I wish Audi were an inch or two taller and had a longer wing span. But the flip side if we can use what she does offer, pretty sure hands, near immovable, and skilled shots close in. Audi has a great skill base to work a game plan around IF other skilled players are in to work with.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Crooks will have to prove her value.

A great post/center can jump well, and they are not the norm. I wish Audi were an inch or two taller and had a longer wing span. But the flip side if we can use what she does offer, pretty sure hands, near immovable, and skilled shots close in. Audi has a great skill base to work a game plan around IF other skilled players are in to work with.
You missed one. She is an exceptional passer for a high school big.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I thought I was misremembering so I watched some highlights again.

She isn't fast down the court but there have been much leaner Big 12 bigs who take longer to get down the court. The only time I see her not hustling down the court is when she makes a monster pass up court to her streaking guard for a layup. She doesn't jump out of the gym but she isn't flatfooted either. Knowing she is a good highschool T&F thrower means that she has the base and explosiveness to threaten in this area as well. I'm sure she will do fine with time in the S&C program.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
You missed one. She is an exceptional passer for a high school big.
I was debating too what to say about what Crooks can offer defensively outside her likely being a rock down low. Others may have insights to offer that has seen her play in AAU or watched many of her game vids.

Help Support Us

Become a patron