Twins Fans- What do you think of Everett?

Jables22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2007
What's the vibe on the Twins getting Adam Everett (SS formerly at Houston)? I think he will vaccum up everthing that comes near him in the field................but I think another light-hitting middle infielder is the last thing they need. Already have Punto, Castilla, and company.

Looks like another huuuuuuuuuuuuuge hole in the lineup if he's out there every day.

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The Everett deal isn't TOO bad. I don't really like him but he is awesome on defense. He is another out when it comes time to hit though. He'll give Plouffe another year to develop or somebody they get back in the Santana trade. I wish they would have traded Hunter during the season last year as apposed to letting him walk. It looks like this is going to be another season where the Twins only have 4 actual MLB hitters in Morneau, Mauer, Cuddyer, and Young. If Kubel would step up and start hitting like he can that would be a huge help. This could be a long season though for us Twins fans. I think they will be an exciting team with all the youth around everywhere. Look out for the Twins in 2010 though!

'Clones Fan

Nov 13, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If the Twins start both Everett and Punto they will really be hurting for offense again. You dont need star hitters at second and short, but you need one of those guys to give you something offensively.

Dormeezy

Nov 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I was a little surprised by this signing as I figured Brendon Harris would probably be the starting SS. But now that I look at it, I guess Harris is more of a 2B/3B guy. So I'm guessing it'll probably be Harris at third, Everett at short and Casilla at second.

I think Casilla is really going to have a good year this year and I think he'll develop into a great top-of-the-order weapon. Harris brings a track record of good offense from Tampa, so he should be able to contribute. I guess with those two, Everett fits in pretty well then. He won't do too much offensively, but will be a vacuum up the middle.

If the Twins end up getting Jacoby from the sox (and hopefully Bucholz along with him) for Santana, I think this coming season can be a very exciting one for the Twins.

It seems a lot of people think the Twins are just throwing in the towel for now and building for 2010, but I don't think that's the case. Bill Smith is retooling the team for success for the present and the future. I for one was extremely excited about the trade for Delmon Young. With him, Morneau and Mauer the Twins have 3 of the top 10 or so young sluggers in the league!

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Everett is a decent pick up. With a young pitching staff, it will help to have a strong defense up the middle. I'd sure like to see them do something to get a real 3rd baseman with some pop in his bat for the 1st time in years. The proposed trades for Johan didn't appear to address this need. Maybe they could get a 3rd team involved in a package deal.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Very good money for a guy who can't hit. Not what the Twins needed. They need a center fielder and a third baseman. I hope they are still coming in a trade with Boston.

Dormeezy

Nov 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Very good money for a guy who can't hit. Not what the Twins needed. They need a center fielder and a third baseman. I hope they are still coming in a trade with Boston.

You're right, the Twins need to address their 3B and CF holes, but they also had a void at SS with the Bartlett trade. The Everett signing takes care of that.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
He doesn't have the bat to play third and doesn't have the D to be an everyday SS. Last year was his first full year in the bigs and he played three positions. I think he can be a great utility guy with the ability to play 7 positions, but if you have aspirations for a championship then he isn't an everyday player...

Jables22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2007
I do like the fact that this is only a 1 year commitment.

It seems a little too similar to the Jaun Castro pick-up a few years ago. Hopefully not the same result of jettisoning him mid-season and going with the youth movement (Castro to Bartlet, Everett to Harris)?

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
THE TWINS JUST SIGNED A THIRD BASEMAN!!!! No more whole at 3rd. The Twins just signed Mike Lamb to a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd! Isn't this great? It's great to see the Twins spending some money and going after some big name free agents!

note: this is full of sarcasim and I really do hope this deal works out. I do have my doubts though.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
i think they will get some hitters with the whole santana deal.. or at least thats what i think they are hoping for

you know what would be sweet is to trade him to clevland for casey blake

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
Punto finally becomes what he's supposed to be, a utility guy. Either Casilla or the guy that came over with Young will start at 2nd.