TV Watching/Streaming in the tailgate lots

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
With 4G/5G and cell service being so bad in Ames on game day due to the massive influx of people, it makes streaming games on espn+, Fox, etc. impossible.

So as a tailgating rookie, how does one stream/have other games playing at their tailgate? I know there’s the good ole bunny ears you can use to get a signal and there’s the expensive satellite tailgating TV. But there’s got to be a better option, no?

I want to watch/catch the tail end of the UFC card after the game on Saturday and I’m honestly not sure how that’s going to happen.

Any ideas?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Once the signal gets congested, no, there really isnt much of an option other than antenna\satellite.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Dish tailgater. I think they're a few hundred dollars, and then have to sign up for the service. Otherwise just get an antenna and put it up as high as you can - lots of good games are on over the air anyways.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Dish tailgater. I think they're a few hundred dollars, and then have to sign up for the service. Otherwise just get an antenna and put it up as high as you can - lots of good games are on over the air anyways.
That or winegard makes some good dishes.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneGuy8

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
With 4G/5G and cell service being so bad in Ames on game day due to the massive influx of people, it makes streaming games on espn+, Fox, etc. impossible.

So as a tailgating rookie, how does one stream/have other games playing at their tailgate? I know there’s the good ole bunny ears you can use to get a signal and there’s the expensive satellite tailgating TV. But there’s got to be a better option, no?

I want to watch/catch the tail end of the UFC card after the game on Saturday and I’m honestly not sure how that’s going to happen.

Any ideas?
1635987516479.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: VeloClone

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
it’s like $7 a month after purchasing the equipment. And you can turn it off and not pay the $7 on the months you don’t use it. Plus you will need a generator - but it Works good

THESHAG

Aug 31, 2011
Ankeny

Any ideas?

I disagree with the first statement no matter how many times this gets repeated as truth on here - I have streamed video (and the kid on a PS) every single home game this year. The only exception to this was a 60 minute window prior to the Iowa game. 5-10 minutes prior to the Iowa game, I was able to stream again. I don't know if I would depend on it solely, but this year it isn't bad, and certainly not impossible. I do have a dedicated cellular device that provides Wifi, but I have also used the hotspot off an iPad as well.

Having said all that, I do use rabbit ears first for OTA channels, and I do have a Dishnetwork sat set up. Unless you have a Dish account at home - it is 65+ per month depending on the package you want, but doesn't require a contract.

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
I disagree with the first statement no matter how many times this gets repeated as truth on here - I have streamed video (and the kid on a PS) every single home game this year. The only exception to this was a 60 minute window prior to the Iowa game. 5-10 minutes prior to the Iowa game, I was able to stream again. I don't know if I would depend on it solely, but this year it isn't bad, and certainly not impossible. I do have a dedicated cellular device that provides Wifi, but I have also used the hotspot off an iPad as well.

Having said all that, I do use rabbit ears first for OTA channels, and I do have a Dishnetwork sat set up. Unless you have a Dish account at home - it is 65+ per month depending on the package you want, but doesn't require a contract.
I'd love to know what cell provider you have then. Both my wife and I (and friends) are all losing service about 3 hours before the game, it's spotty during, and then comes back after.

Reactions: DFWClone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I have Verizon and I've been able to stream as well. The only issue I had was at the Iowa game but I was also parked really close to gameday on the southside of the stadium... Out in the grass lots I haven't had an issue.

THESHAG

Aug 31, 2011
Ankeny
I'd love to know what cell provider you have then. Both my wife and I (and friends) are all losing service about 3 hours before the game, it's spotty during, and then comes back after.
But if I tell you, then I can't stream. I feel like this is asking where my secret parking spot is on game day...Kidding - I have ATT.
I do have to clarify - I did also have a few issues right before the UNI game when I was streaming 2 video devices and 1 playstation...maybe I am just lucky....

Last edited: