TURNER A NO GO (Official)

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Re: MARTY TIRRELL - TURNER A NO GO

Doesnt Buffalo have a bowl to focus on? I don't think a coach of integrity would be entertaining offers while preparing his team for a bowl.

It happens ALL the time. All teams need to fill their coaching vacancies ASAP so they can finish out the recruiting period. In any event, Buffalo's bowl game isn't until January 3rd so Gill has plenty of time to get his team prepared.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA

I'm going to have a beer and take a nap. DeForest (and north basement for at least 10 years) here we come. Am I freaking out because we won't get Turner Gill? No. I'm freaking out because we have such a bad image that we can't get the coach at Buffalo (******* Buffalo) to come to Ames for 5x (at least) as much money as he was making in ******* BUFFALO.

This is about where I'm at - well said.

I'm also discouraged that it seems that Gill didn't even consider the posibility. Along with what you said above, if the Auburn race thing bothered him, I would have thought that coming to a university that honored its first African-American player by naming its stadium after him would have been attractive and made a positive statement.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

My thought is that Turner will be having a PC after practice, which means he probably hasn't talked with JP. So, although it's probably true that he's not coming, I bet JP will talk with him if he wants Gill badly enough.

My guess is that Gill was never his top pick. Just my thought.

Marty didn't get his information from Gill's agent, he got it from another site that reported it about noon. The problem is Marty ran with it more than what the actual report said. Gill is not out of the running until he officially announces he is. Which may or may not happen today or sometime soon. About all we know for sure is that according to Gill's agent there was contact made by Iowa State. May or may not be true and he may or may not be interested.

I tend to be in line with one of these comments.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

I'll believe everything when I hear it from the mouth of either Gill or Pollard.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

If anything, I think Pollard turned Gill down. Gill's people are moving way to fast to remove their name unless they were never interested. Then, why would you interview in the first place?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

People...people, you automatically assume Gill is the one that said no. Didn't a report come out about Brewster reportedly said no to ISU? When in fact, he was never offered.

Coaches do this when they're no longer in the running - they quickly come out and say they're not interested, won't be taking the job, staying at X school, etc.

I'm not saying that is what happened here, but it happens very often.

What if JP is in deep discussion/negotiation with someone better than Gill? He speaks to Gill because everyone wants him too. JP (and Gill) knows Gill isn't going to be offered the job...Gill comes out and says he is staying at Buffalo and looks loyal and gets a fat raise out of the deal.

This scenario happens ALL OF THE TIME.

Jesus people, the sky isn't falling because one guy isn't coming here.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

What if JP is in deep discussion/negotiation with someone better than Gill? He speaks to Gill because everyone wants him too. JP (and Gill) knows Gill isn't going to be offered the job...Gill comes out and says he is staying at Buffalo and looks loyal and gets a fat raise out of the deal.

Right, exactly my point. But I did expect this with all the Gill photos and petitions popping up around here. ;)

However, I did anticipate it to be worse, in the event Gill said "no thanks" or we didn't hire him. However, that part is not yet final.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

Or maybe Gill doesn't want to coach at ISU. It is possible that someone could turn down a coaching job at ISU. I know it's hard to believe.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

And who, pray tell, is this person? Bill Parcels? Bill Belichek? Pete Carroll? Jim Tressel? The only name that seems even remotely attainable that would be better than Gill is Gary Patterson, and if we get him I will run 4 miles naked in this weather...

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006

JP is knocking on this guys door:Kyle Whittingham

The door wouldnt open unfortunately. That guy knows if he keeps winning in Utah (ala Urban Meyer) he can go to a MAJOR college program.

goclonz80

Sep 12, 2008
Omaha

I tend to be in line with one of these comments.
I agree, I think everyone is jumping the gun... We all know Marty talks out his arse. Hes a gossip queen. Ill wait til I hear it from the horses mouth. Good Luck Pollard in your efforts to fill the vacancy!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

And who, pray tell, is this person? Bill Parcels? Bill Belichek? Pete Carroll? Jim Tressel? The only name that seems even remotely attainable that would be better than Gill is Gary Patterson, and if we get him I will run 4 miles naked in this weather...

Those are solid words. Be ready to back them. =) Just let everyone know before you do it so they can hide their children.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

The only name that seems even remotely attainable that would be better than Gill is Gary Patterson, and if we get him I will run 4 miles naked in this weather...

You are making a lot of promises. If they hire Patterson as HC and Farley as OC you're going to be broke and cold.:smile:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Or maybe Gill doesn't want to coach at ISU. It is possible that someone could turn down a coaching job at ISU. I know it's hard to believe.

That could be it too. I'm just not going to get worried when all sorts of coaches throw out a statement that they are not interested in the ISU job. Seems like that gives the impression that we ended up with the 7th or 8th coach that was offered.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006

guys, he already said no on Sunday

And Gene told Jamie no last Friday. No doesn't mean no unless it really does mean no. Not sure what sort of no Turner gave on Sunday.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron