Tuition Costs Up Again?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Might want to graph out the inflation rate vs tuition costs. Those lines will not match up.

Tuition is now 22 times the $345 per year when I was a freshman. If my salary had kept up with this rising cost, I would be making ~$200,000+ a year now. Guess if I had become a college prof that's what I would be making.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
So increased student loans leads to more students which means that tuition costs rise?

Are Universities making boat loads of money then? Because having full classrooms with one teacher should lower University costs of education because of the economy of scale.

Trying to figure out how having a low number of students per teacher cuts costs of Universities.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So increased student loans leads to more students which means that tuition costs rise?

Are Universities making boat loads of money then? Because having full classrooms with one teacher should lower University costs of education because of the economy of scale.

Trying to figure out how having a low number of students per teacher cuts costs of Universities.

Because the dollars provided by the state are a fixed sum, not per capita. So the more students you have, the more those state dollars get stretched and the students have to make up. There was a chart on here a while back showing the percentage of costs paid by the state vs tuition and it shows the issue very well. 10 years ago the state funds covered well above 50% of the cost of attendance. Now it is closer to 30%.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Because the dollars provided by the state are a fixed sum, not per capita. So the more students you have, the more those state dollars get stretched and the students have to make up. There was a chart on here a while back showing the percentage of costs paid by the state vs tuition and it shows the issue very well. 10 years ago the state funds covered well above 50% of the cost of attendance. Now it is closer to 30%.

Fixed Costs on a per student basis should go down when you have a larger number of students sharing those fixed costs.

How does cutting student loans fix the problem? Won't you have fewer students to spread costs over?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think more people need to realize that they aren't cut out for college and can lead perfectly fine lives without it. I attended a trade school that was a part of my high school for my Junior and Senior years of High School. This allowed me to get certifications, technical training, college credit and internships in a field I was interested in at zero cost outside of my father's regular taxes (and I think a $80 lab fee associated with my program). http://plcc.edu/

They offer all sorts of programs including: Marketing, Engineering Technology, HVAC, Electrical Training, Automotive Technology, Robotics, Fire Academy, Culinary Arts, Graphic Design, Network/Computer Technology, Nursing, Landscaping and many more.

This service is offered across the country and a lot of community colleges offer similar programs.

I even go to my old high school yearly now to help promote this trade school. A common thing I hear about this trade school is that it is a "dropout" school. So I've shifted a bit to get people to sign up even for the sake of trying out a field they're interested in just see if they even like it. Too many freshman switch majors because once they get into a major, they find out it isn't for them which just raises their personal costs. Everyone can still be involved in their local school, receive college credit, and be successful with a vocational school like this.

Once we get the stigma gone that not going to college = failure at life, then we can start lowering tuition costs.

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
ISU is one of the most affordable schools you can attend. Most people will have to spend over 100k for college in this country.

And you said "just about anyone can afford to attend 2 years of CC and 2 years at a state college". That right there shows how out of touch you are with how most people live. You and I can likely afford that, but not "just about everyone".

CC is dirt cheap. Sure it might take more planning and work depending on the situation but I absolutely believe it's more than attainable for most people. Problem is too many people don't know how to manage money and aren't willing to put in the work.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think more kids need to look at college as an investment. There is a defined cost for that degree. Will the benefits of the degree justify the cost? In many cases, the answer is no.

I also understand that there are degrees that are needed but wont lead to a higher wage. In that case, the individual has to understand the cost for acquiring such a degree.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
What do statistics say about higher education and earning power? Can a High School Graduate get a high paying job? And with the desire of Republicans to raise the full retirement age to 70, how many years do these High School Grafuate Laborers expect to work. Are they planning on doing Carpentry or a physical labor job when they are 70?

Average pay for a Carpenter was $21.41 per hour in 2012. That is about $45,000 per year. Top pay was about $30 per hour. That would be $60,000 per year.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Yeah, when you have more, easier access to funding for something, demand will increase.

And Universities should be making boatloads of money but they aren't because there is competition there too. Your campus has to be nice. Living arrangements have to compete. I'm not saying those things don't matter or that they shouldn't be done but I'm saying they do add cost and in additions I've seen, you could have just as practical structures, albeit not as fancy, for far less money. I know that's not realistic so save me the "Oh yeah we should just teach kids in Morton buildings" comments but so long as people make decisions based on those things, they will continue to exist.

L

LincolnWay187

They should have some sort of deposit system, put down $3,000 additional tuition your freshmen year. If you keep up your studies and stay in school you get to have that refunded after 2 years. People who are in school just party, take up seats, and ultimately quit will forfeit the cash. The pot of money will get distributed as scholarships.

I would also love to see ISU and or the state do something about book costs. I started doing my MBA after 8 years off working and wow...just as bad as ever guys. They even have codes where you have to buy stuff now and or take tests that are graded by crappy software programs you have to pay for.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
How come we treat this like healthcare and no one wants to talk about actually lowering the cost of education? It's always about how to pay for it. I have two degrees and when I stepped into my first job, I knew a little of the science behind it but I should have known way more. I knew even less about the day-to-day aspects of my job. Why? Why did I spend at least two semesters taking classes that didn't relate to my major? Why didn't I, instead, skip that crap, take three years of intense coursework actually relating to Ag Business and Economics, then use those other two semesters as internships as part of a year long internship where I could go through a whole cycle of what goes on with an opportunity to parlay that into a job? That's probably really major specific but that's kind of my point. Why aren't kids pushed harder to get out of there in 4 years if that's what it takes? I was told not to take 18 credits my last two semesters. Why?

My whole point is just that I think looking at funding inflated costs of something is an exercise in futility. The same people will pay these costs in a different fashion at some point.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, when you have more, easier access to funding for something, demand will increase.

And Universities should be making boatloads of money but they aren't because there is competition there too. Your campus has to be nice. Living arrangements have to compete. I'm not saying those things don't matter or that they shouldn't be done but I'm saying they do add cost and in additions I've seen, you could have just as practical structures, albeit not as fancy, for far less money. I know that's not realistic so save me the "Oh yeah we should just teach kids in Morton buildings" comments but so long as people make decisions based on those things, they will continue to exist.

So when the Iowa State Telemarketers call for donations for scholarships then I should just say "NO". Because if I make a donation providing scholarships or even belong to groups that give out scholarships, the additional money will end up just hurting the students. I got that right, didn't I?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
How come we treat this like healthcare and no one wants to talk about actually lowering the cost of education? It's always about how to pay for it. I have two degrees and when I stepped into my first job, I knew a little of the science behind it but I should have known way more. I knew even less about the day-to-day aspects of my job. Why? Why did I spend at least two semesters taking classes that didn't relate to my major? Why didn't I, instead, skip that crap, take three years of intense coursework actually relating to Ag Business and Economics, then use those other two semesters as internships as part of a year long internship where I could go through a whole cycle of what goes on with an opportunity to parlay that into a job? That's probably really major specific but that's kind of my point. Why aren't kids pushed harder to get out of there in 4 years if that's what it takes? I was told not to take 18 credits my last two semesters. Why?

My whole point is just that I think looking at funding inflated costs of something is an exercise in futility. The same people will pay these costs in a different fashion at some point.

I always took 17 or 18 credits. Worked in Food Service for Room and Board. Got through in 4 years real easy. My Dad paid for my college, and he made it pretty plain. 4 years of college paid for, and after that I had to pay.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I fully support establishment of government run clinics, hospitals etc. with guaranteed care for those that want a safety net system. If that works for them, that's fine. I just don't want to be compelled to be part of that system which will inevitably have a rationing function controlled by Congress and the DC bureaucracy (See VA healthcare).

I want to be free to contract with a private party to buy a true insurance policy to manage catastrophic risk. For any medical needs below that major threshold, I am willing to pay out of pocket. In exchange for my cash payment to a provider, I want a good customer experience.

Doctors and other providers can choose which system they want to be part of. Some will choose to work for the government, some will choose the private system.

There's no reason we both can't get what we want.

Q: Who pays for this?
A: You.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Q: Who pays for this?
A: You.
Yes. Not optimal, but the people of this country have spoken and we will pay the bill for everyone's medical care and it will all be managed from Washington DC. So be it. Just don't force me into that system. I'm willing to pay twice to maintain choice.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA

Because it's very difficult to predict exactly where you are going to end up, and a college degree has a fair amount of flexibility and training built into it to allow for it.

I had zero plans to teach. Everything I did was research focused. However, the job market when I finished up was more favorable to higher education instruction. I jumped on that, and those courses I took in writing, speech, sociology, psychology, leadership, etc. all helped me to be able to design, set-up, and run a course. The other courses helps me relate to students who aren't really interested in becoming a biochemist. The value is there, but it's not always readily apparent.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I took this approach. Finished in 3-1/2 years. Took 18-20 hours per semester and maxed out during the summer as well. Found that I'd make a lot more by finishing quicker and getting into a career than I would taking longer and working during school.

I'm also in the boat that high school grads should have 1-2 years of working full time in a job before going to college. It teaches better habits (8:00 is not actually early for a class) and let's them figure out what they may actually want to do for a living.

Reactions: norcalcy

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I took this approach. Finished in 3-1/2 years. Took 18-20 hours per semester and maxed out during the summer as well. Found that I'd make a lot more by finishing quicker and getting into a career than I would taking longer and working during school.

I'm also in the boat that high school grads should have 1-2 years of working full time in a job before going to college. It teaches better habits (8:00 is not actually early for a class) and let's them figure out what they may actually want to do for a living.

I think a year or two between high school and college doesn't hurt most people.
If someone knows what they want, they might as well go charging in. For a lot of people, a year of working, national service, military service, or whatever wouldn't hurt.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Well, have an entire country, including corporations, tell kids they all need degrees to ever get anywhere in life and this is what you get. Also, have those kids stay there for 5 years to get a degree that should take no more than 4 and add another 25% to what those degrees cost. Then, make sure you subsidize a significant portion of it so that the demand side isn't affected by any increasing costs since it's just a marginal increase to the student. Once you've done all of those things, you then give a University no reason not to increase tuition.

Quit with the "one experience" fits all ******** and start educating people instead being degree factories.

The wealthy people in this country didn't conjure up this whole scheme to keep the little guy down. Your government and schools did when they were telling everyone you had to go to college. Furthermore, people don't find themselves unable to afford or go to college after high school or while they are in college. People find themselves unable to afford it when they have a degree that isn't applicable to a career that pays that degree off. IMO, college isn't a right, it's an investment and this whole "do something you love" ******** needs to be put to rest. Sure, you should find something you enjoy, but at the same time it has to be feasible.

Wrong

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron