Tuesday Musings Stansbury article

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Great article, and it contains one of the all time hammer lines:

Everybody loves to talk about accountability until they’re the ones being held accountable. The transfer market holds coaches accountable for doing right by their players, and the ones who aren’t able to match that standard will not be successful.

0B0BXuPTVWjGcLQx17I5l-0i6fA3foelQPw6kmMjF_cpQGS93eVUfr3PcyZWjRmExWlVL65IeAISGVNjldr5OGUXZF1zgx3UOa884Wop0xsChNGo9_wc_kik8OQlfiwSX6ttjA

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA

Everybody loves to talk about accountability until they’re the ones being held accountable. The transfer market holds coaches accountable for doing right by their players, and the ones who aren’t able to match that standard will not be successful.

0B0BXuPTVWjGcLQx17I5l-0i6fA3foelQPw6kmMjF_cpQGS93eVUfr3PcyZWjRmExWlVL65IeAISGVNjldr5OGUXZF1zgx3UOa884Wop0xsChNGo9_wc_kik8OQlfiwSX6ttjA

Appreciate it!

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
It's illuminating to view the entire transfer landscape from the kids' eyes. Puts spin on things that really changes the whole dynamic.

Well done, Stanz.

I appreciate you saying that. I think it is important to remember there is always more than one side to every discussion and it seems like the kids' side gets lost a lot of times in things like this. I understand that it is because coaches and schools generally control the narrative, but that's why I thought what T.J. said on the podcast was important. He gets it.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I don't think that there is a good rebuttal to what Stanz wrote. Spot on article. I am soooooo glad we have TJ leading the program after seeing how he approaches the whole situation. Some coaches are going to get left behind but he won't.

Reactions: t-noah

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

It's a players league? Holding coaches accountable now? Tell that to Rasir Bolton. Not trying to get into an argument.....but to think there will never again be a transfer from ISU just because TJ has arrived is naive. When that happens do we then drag this thread out and actually ask questions.......or is the defense of TJ on auto pilot and the transfer immediately stamped as toxic in this new coaches accountable, players league culture?

• Dumb
Reactions: Aclone

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
It's a players league? Holding coaches accountable now? Tell that to Rasir Bolton. Not trying to get into an argument.....but to think there will never again be a transfer from ISU just because TJ has arrived is naive. When that happens do we then drag this thread out and actually ask questions.......or is the defense of TJ on auto pilot and the transfer immediately stamped as toxic in this new coaches accountable, players league culture?
Depends on if we're winning. Stop with the butthurt. TJ is making you look bad. Just save it for the season. I'm sure things will happen where you can bust out the whine.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA

I never said there wouldn't ever transfer away from Iowa State again. Never even insinuated that.

I also will say I think Rasir got a raw deal for reasons I'm not going to discuss here. It absolutely could have been handled better for Rasir. I hope he has massive success wherever he lands next because the kid is a very good player and I always had very positive interactions with him. That situation cannot be put squarely on T.J.'s shoulders though.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Going to give u a little grief........who are the "old heads?"

I am over 50 and I have supported this from day one and totally agree with your opinion piece - well written.

There are "young heads" that don't like the new system.

Maybe the "old heads" are "dead heads?"

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I don't think that there is a good rebuttal to what Stanz wrote. Spot on article. I am soooooo glad we have TJ leading the program after seeing how he approaches the whole situation. Some coaches are going to get left behind but he won't.
It depends on what Stanz was actually arguing for. I don't think that rational old timers have a problem with the portal. Many do have an issue with immediate eligibility after a transfer and the unintended consequences of tampering and roster poaching by high majors of mid/low major programs. Immediate eligibility also results in a higher number of players getting involuntarily nudged out by staffs for performance and other reasons. The results of one-time immediate eligibility won't truly be seen for a few years after COVID-related eligibility is filtered out and the potential hit on grad rates is evaluated.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I didn’t say any of these things.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Great article @JStanz51

This won't end the little fiefdoms that some coaches have built up around themselves and their programs, but maybe it will put a little fear in them. Make them a little more accountable. Make them earn their salaries a little more.

And if that means that the more player-friendly coaches are better suited to success than the "my way or the highway" tyrants? Meh. I won't lose any sleep

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

LOL. Lighten up, Francis! You're projecting. You're taking this personally as a dig against your current coach and making false assumptions....probably because it strikes a little too close to home.

If you actually read the article, reasons were mentioned that most certainly could happen under his program. There will be transfers. People will get recruited over or won't develop as anticipated. They will want to transfer for playing time. But the context of the accountability statement was in regards to coaches being open and transparent with the student athletes they recruit. TJ didn't recruit Bolton so it really has nothing to do with what's being talked about here. But with that being said, regardless of one's view of the Bolton situation, you can't say TJ wasn't open and transparent with him.

Sorry that our fans love our coach your fans don't love yours. Sorry, not sorry.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I don’t know but every time TJ pulls another top transfer or recruit I’ll be sure to dig up a bunch of your idiotic posts.

• Haha
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron