Tubby Smith and the turnaround at Minnesota

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
Several times, i've discussed the differences between the ISU program and Minnesota over the last two years. I'm really, really impressed with Tubby Smith at the U of MN...and i think the same can happen at ISU, though it will be harder without the consistent pipeline of talent that the Twin Cities has.

Today's Star Trib has an excellent article about what Tubby has done to turn around the Gophers. It's a great read, as it goes along ways to talk about how Tubby went about turning around one of the worst basketball programs in the six major conferences.

Tubby Smith: Minnesota’s new rouser

This team, in my estimation, has the same level of talent that ISU has, maybe slightly more. The gophers are a worse offensive team than ISU (if that's possible), but have more athletic players, which has made them a better defensive and rebounding team. They play well in transition, but can't score in the half court set to save their life. And yet they're on the bubble for the NCAA (i don't think they'll make it, but ya never know).

This is the type of turnaround i envision at ISU in the next several years: attitude, motivation, and athleticism. I hope it's possible.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Tubby is a great coach...he won at Tulsa, he won at Georgia, he won at Kentucky. I expected him to win at Minnesota.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Still think it's an Apple and Orange comparison.

Way more money available up there, Tubby is a much more high profile coach, and your recruiting a metro school.

And they are still a bubble team.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The way he got out of Kentucky marks him as one of the smartest coaches in America. :yes: They were so angry that he got out, even though they loved complaining about him and kept calling for his head.

Hearing Hawkeye fans complain that he went to Minnesota while they were still (momentarily) stuck with Alford, or just didn't go to Iowa was fun also.

I expected him to win. He's been part of rebuilding in major conferences before, and takes everybody to the Elite Eight. Minnesota got a steal.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
AND - Tubby can flat out recruit ballplayers!!!!

Players like his schemes and tempos they play a lot of transition ball that is fun to watch. Your right, the half court game which is what they will be dealt with when they play good teams, will lose them games. But, Until he gets his talent to the next level, why not run and gun....Its a lot more fun to watch then "OKay lets set it up - ummm play 351"....

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Still think it's an Apple and Orange comparison.

Way more money available up there, Tubby is a much more high profile coach, and your recruiting a metro school.

And they are still a bubble team.

Did we ever think that maybe we needed to sign someone like Greg McDermott....for 650,000????

Considering our basketball program had terminated the contracts of Eustachy and Morgan at a cost of 960,000 for Eustachy and 1.5 million for Morgan. Thats a lot of cash for two employees that no longer are employed at the university.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
AND - Tubby can flat out recruit ballplayers!!!!

Players like his schemes and tempos they play a lot of transition ball that is fun to watch. Your right, the half court game which is what they will be dealt with when they play good teams, will lose them games. But, Until he gets his talent to the next level, why not run and gun....Its a lot more fun to watch then "OKay lets set it up - ummm play 351"....

I go that I go the the nerd fringe of everything I do, but I enjoy both styles. But I can be entertained tying my shoes. I'm just interested in whatever I'm getting involved in.

As I type this, I'm watching Minnesota try to get one more run on MSU.