Tubby on transfers

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017

I like Tubby and I get his point, but this seems tone-deaf from someone who 'quit' on Tech.

OldCurmudgeon

Nov 25, 2017
In my day, we were loyal to the school that recruited us. The school where boosters would support us by giving us all sorts of stuff, like sweet deals on cars, interest free loans that we would never pay back, free housing. Oh, yeah, and I guess, if we wanted to, we could get a degree in basket weaving, just to make it look like we were there for something other than a stepping stone to the NBA. Those were the days...

And, sure, there was no guarantee your coach wouldn't show that same loyalty and leave after a couple years to coach some other, better recruits, leaving your program a shambles and under investigation for some impropriety... But you knew the risks. You liked it. No, you loved it.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I always think this "the player should just compete harder and earn more playing time" argument is rich coming from coaches. Should the same argument be applied to assistant coaches that leave for head coaching jobs? Maybe rather than "quit" for a better opportunity they should just be better and prove they deserve the job more than the head coach?

I'm so sick of college coaches getting on their soapbox about these issues. The ones that like to use the silly Bilas straw man that the "NCAA and schools" getting rich off the athletes, when the actual individuals that have gotten rich off student athletes are the coaches themselves. The NCAA and schools have mostly expanded staffs more so than paying executives crazy salaries. Or better yet they rail on the idea of paying players or transferring when the coaches can bolt without penalty and can be completely incompetent and unethical and still retire insanely wealthy.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I always think this "the player should just compete harder and earn more playing time" argument is rich coming from coaches. Should the same argument be applied to assistant coaches that leave for head coaching jobs? Maybe rather than "quit" for a better opportunity they should just be better and prove they deserve the job more than the head coach?

I'm so sick of college coaches getting on their soapbox about these issues. The ones that like to use the silly Bilas straw man that the "NCAA and schools" getting rich off the athletes, when the actual individuals that have gotten rich off student athletes are the coaches themselves. The NCAA and schools have mostly expanded staffs more so than paying executives crazy salaries. Or better yet they rail on the idea of paying players or transferring when the coaches can bolt without penalty and can be completely incompetent and unethical and still retire insanely wealthy.

Transferring is one of the few options a player has left to control his destiny. I think there might be a few too many lately, but it's pretty dickish for a coach to label them quitters for it.

I know we've benefited from transfers, so that will probably make most ISU fans biased toward transfers, but there are so many situations to consider for players and so many reasons they want to leave.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Transferring is one of the few options a player has left to control his destiny. I think there might be a few too many lately, but it's pretty dickish for a coach to label them quitters for it.

I know we've benefited from transfers, so that will probably make most ISU fans biased toward transfers, but there are so many situations to consider for players and so many reasons they want to leave.
In all fairness, we lost as many during the McDermott years as we gained during the Hoiberg/Prohm years...

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
In all fairness, we lost as many during the McDermott years as we gained during the Hoiberg/Prohm years...

McDermott was just a sinking ship. God that was tough to watch.

And I remember at the time being so upset that Wes Johnson left, but now that we've heard more of the story it makes a lot more sense.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
McDermott was just a sinking ship. God that was tough to watch.

And I remember at the time being so upset that Wes Johnson left, but now that we've heard more of the story it makes a lot more sense.
That one hurt. The one that was the most obvious tho was the geographically challenged Hambone, who wanted to "transfer to a school closer to home".

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
giphy.gif

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
From a stability standpoint, it's kind of a big mess all around...

Various sources put John Wooden's salary in his final year at UCLA (1975) at around $41,000. The Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI calculator puts that at about $195,000 in 2018 dollars. That is a nice sum of money, but compare that $195,000 to this:
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

The "system" encourages coaches from mid-majors to chase after those top 50 or so jobs, where they can increase their salary by a factor of 5-10, and then once there, to chase after those top 15 or so jobs which basically double the salary of the lower part of the top 50. Then, with the big salaries, comes the pressure to win immediately. That leads to kids who turn out to be "marginal" on the talent/developmental level after getting to campus being shown the door rather quickly, because there is limited time to develop players.

The coaching carousel isn't going to cease as long as fans (that's us) are pouring money into the system that allows big salaries to be paid by 50 or so of the 300+ DI teams.

On the player side, the talented kids are quickly shuffled onto elite teams, or between elite teams if the parents don't like the way things are going, and often don't have to deal with the adversity of a struggling team, or competition for playing time, or not having things go their way on the team. Looking for a different settings becomes the preferred means to solve difficulties.

So...coaches run and players run...and nothing looks to be changing anytime soon...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron