TT's Mayfield just got injured

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
An unbeaten, ranked team at home hosting a 1-3 team who lost to a FCS team..... sounds like a recipe for a pretty big line.

It also happens to sound like the recipe for a Paul Rhoads upset. I enjoyed that graphic Thurs night about only 4 teams that have beaten a ranked team on the road in each of the last 3 seasons (ISU, Bama, Oregon, tOSU?)

Vegas would lose a lot of money if it only looked at win loss records. Texas Tech beat SMU, SF Austin, TCU, Texas State, and Kansas. Those 5 teams have a combined 10 wins. 6 of those are against FCS opponents and TCU played SMU, so one of those teams had to win.

Those stats are even worse than I thought they would be.

TTech may well beat us this week and it might even be the most likely outcome, but I am in no way scared.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
Like I said in anither thread. Davis Webb is a legit QB, and will get very important reps in oractice, and hes had gametime this season, too.

He will be ready to go.

Although if Brewer isnt ready to back Webb up next week, and if Webb goes down, then Tech will be in serious trouble.

Tech right now is facing what OSU faced last season with their QB's.

Tech is the onky team in the conference that can legitimately go 3 deep at QB.

i agree with you about Webb. He is very good and I'm willing to bet, the QB of the future for Tech. He has more upside than Mayfield, who is starting due to his HS offense at LT more closely resembling TT's than Webb's. Webb has that Kingsbury touch that Mayfield just doesn't quite have.

But that seems to be all I agree with you about.

Last edited:

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
We have an Elite 11 quarterback sitting on the bench too, what's your point?

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Does it matter who the QB for TTU is? This Mayfield kid would be #3 QB at best on this Iowa State team. He is a walk-on. Texas Tech is a system offense, you plug just about anyone in at QB, and they're gonna light it up. This Mayfield kid is living proof of it. It is also why none of their QB's last very long in the NFL...their weaknesses become exposed once they are out of the "system"

He was a walk on because he chose not to take a scholarship to Washington State(?) and opted to stay in Texas and work for a scholly.....and you don't lead the league in passing most years just because of a system. Tech has had great college QB's and always has nice weapons to throw to. You sayin AA or Barnett would have thrown for 4K yards at tech in a season?

ISU is 1-3. I love SR but Mayfield also has some game as a QB and would have certainly battled Sam and possibly even beat him out for the job if he was here. these QBs have put up very similar stats this year in basically every category. Mayfield clearly has 1 advantage over Sam, and that's his ability to put more zip on his lazer throws.

Again no dis on Sam, as he has the look of a guy that will finally become the missing piece to Rhoads puzzle at ISU. Mayfield is a pretty damn talented kid...probably faced an easier schedule by far than ISU, but the kid can play.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
He was a walk on because he chose not to take a scholarship to Washington State(?) and opted to stay in Texas and work for a scholly.....and you don't lead the league in passing most years just because of a system. Tech has had great college QB's and always has nice weapons to throw to. You sayin AA or Barnett would have thrown for 4K yards at tech in a season?

ISU is 1-3. I love SR but Mayfield also has some game as a QB and would have certainly battled Sam and possibly even beat him out for the job if he was here. these QBs have put up very similar stats this year in basically every category. Mayfield clearly has 1 advantage over Sam, and that's his ability to put more zip on his lazer throws.

Again no dis on Sam, as he has the look of a guy that will finally become the missing piece to Rhoads puzzle at ISU. Mayfield is a pretty damn talented kid...probably faced an easier schedule by far than ISU, but the kid can play.
Wouldn't bet money on JB going for 4k yards, but Arnaud would have been capable of that.

Help Support Us

Become a patron