TSN Awfully Hard On Ferentz

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
This week's print edition of The Sporting News calls out KF twice:

1. In the "next season preview" under the heading, "Eight coaches under pressure":

"One of the top five highest-paid coaches shouldn't lose 18 games in three seasons."

2. In "Speed Reads":

"If Kirk Ferentz were ever tempted by the NFL, now is the time to jump. Iowa has become a stale program, and Ferentz won't be considered a hot coaching commodity much longer. Besides, how long will Iowa pay $2.8 million a year for 6-6 seasons?"

Also, I found it interesting that out of their 8 projected Heisman candidates for next year, 4 of them were Big 12 players, including three from the Big 12 North.

North: Chase Daniel, Jeremy Maclin (Missouri), Todd Reesing (KU)

South: Sam Bradford (OU)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Texas Tech Crabtree also looked pretty awesome to me from the South.

Last edited:

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
With the number of underclassmen who played for Kirk last year coming back, I've always said the next two seasons will define him as a coach. Next year's team, as well as the one after, will field the best recruits he's had at Iowa. A lot of 3 and 4 star guys from the 2005-2007 recruiting classes.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I think he's a good coach. I'm suprised at the number of hawk fans that are already calling for his head.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
This thread should have had a headline of "A national sporting magazine finally writes a realistic assessment of Kirk Ferentz and the Iowa football program".

A little long I know, but.......

Last edited:

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
With the number of underclassmen who played for Kirk last year coming back, I've always said the next two seasons will define him as a coach. Next year's team, as well as the one after, will field the best recruits he's had at Iowa. A lot of 3 and 4 star guys from the 2005-2007 recruiting classes.

I don't know what you are comparing too, but his best recruiting classes were the next two after there 11-2 season. In particular their class that graduated last year was suppose to be the big class with All World QB Drew Tate.

He had a bunch of undersclassmen this year, but look what he did the year before with a bunch of upperclassmen. Seriously, does it matter with him anymore? He has underachieved the last 3 years. And he had plenty of talent on those teams.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I think he's a good coach. I'm suprised at the number of hawk fans that are already calling for his head.

He may be a good coach, but his coordinators arent. The D isnt all too bad except against against several WR sets. But the O is painful to watch.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
He may be a good coach, but his coordinators arent. The D isnt all too bad except against against several WR sets. But the O is painful to watch.

You are right that there O is bad but speak for yourself when you say they are painful to watch. I rather enjoyed it.....:biggrin:

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
You are right that there O is bad but speak for yourself when you say they are painful to watch. I rather enjoyed it.....:biggrin:

I totally agree. I hope they all get lifetime contracts. Nothing better than seeing JC running for his life or overthrowing the ball by 10 yards.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Follow up:

This week marks two weeks in a row where KF is bashed a bit by TSN.

He is listed under "Biggest Ripoffs" for having each win cost the university $500,000. Joins Saban ($500,000) and Tim Brewster ($1 million) on the list.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I REALLY hope Iowa comes in at .500 again next year. It will continue the split in their fanbase and increase the negative national publicity.

Giving him $2.8M is probably the worst move the U of I has ever made.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I REALLY hope Iowa comes in at .500 again next year. It will continue the split in their fanbase and increase the negative national publicity.

In hindsight, yes. But if Chizik had a couple of seasons like they had, I'm sure JP would do whatever possible to keep him here. Don't you think?

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
It will be interesting to see how the next couple of seasons unfold for the Hawkeyes and Ferentz. A couple more .500 type seasons or worse, and it would be hard to not want to fire him, if for no other reason than he would be WAY overpaid.

You just can't justify average seasons with that kind of money.

I think we will split with them in the next two years but have a shot at winning both, which would kill their fans even more.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If they have another 6-6 season again this fall you know what might finally hit the fan. You don't pay a guy that much money not to get some return on investment. You can give him a pass on a bad season here and there but 4 disappointing mediocre seasons in a row surely was not what they had in mind when they signed that contract.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

Why would you want them to do that well? Frankly, I'd like them to be winless next year. And every year for that matter!

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Getting paid big money (Kirkie should always be referred to as the states highest payed employee), .500 record and off field problems. Not a good combo.

Jan 9, 2008
but 4 disappointing mediocre seasons in a row surely was not what they had in mind when they signed that contract.

I dont know where you got the four but im pretty sure its about 2 and half mediocre seasons if my memory serves me. 05 was decent for them until the second part of the season and 06 and 07 were just debacles.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron