True Cyclones

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ppclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
What is your top 5 'true Cyclones' (mens BB)? Some guidelines:
- Doesn't have to be the most talented players you've seen
- They should stand out as 'yeah, i loved that guy'
- They gave more than they received (this is intentionally vague, but you should get a feel when really thinking who meant the most to you as a Cyclones MBB player).

My picks (only goes back to when i remember guys - so don't crucify me for leaving out Hercle Ivy. Though i should pick him for that kicka$$ name!)
1. Freddy. Local boy, class act. Uh, he's the Mayor for a reason
2. Barry Stevens. Single handedly created Hilton Magic. When you get the reaction to your passing from the Cyclone family like he's recieved over the last 8 months, it says something.
3. Rahshon Clark. I want to adopt this kid. Loyalty amid controversy when everyone else left. The most grounded of his class and leader during this transition era....takes a big man with a big, big heart.
4. Jacy Holloway. I know, this one's out of left field, but he bridged two coaching generations and just felt like the glue that kept us together....
5. Stevie Johnson. This one's out of left-center....but i LOVED his motor and quiet strength. Certainly wasn't the most talented among that phenomenal team....but a 6'6" power forward rebounder? Best role player i've seen over my active 25 years of Cycloneness. Oh, and he used his last shred of eligibility to play Football. Yeah, you're nodding your head a little more vigorously now aren't you!

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
What is your top 5 'true Cyclones' (mens BB)? Some guidelines:
- Doesn't have to be the most talented players you've seen
- They should stand out as 'yeah, i loved that guy'
- They gave more than they received (this is intentionally vague, but you should get a feel when really thinking who meant the most to you as a Cyclones MBB player).

My picks (only goes back to when i remember guys - so don't crucify me for leaving out Hercle Ivy. Though i should pick him for that kicka$$ name!)
1. Freddy. Local boy, class act. Uh, he's the Mayor for a reason
2. Barry Stevens. Single handedly created Hilton Magic. When you get the reaction to your passing from the Cyclone family like he's recieved over the last 8 months, it says something.
3. Rahshon Clark. I want to adopt this kid. Loyalty amid controversy when everyone else left. The most grounded of his class and leader during this transition era....takes a big man with a big, big heart.
4. Jacy Holloway. I know, this one's out of left field, but he bridged two coaching generations and just felt like the glue that kept us together....
5. Stevie Johnson. This one's out of left-center....but i LOVED his motor and quiet strength. Certainly wasn't the most talented among that phenomenal team....but a 6'6" power forward rebounder? Best role player i've seen over my active 25 years of Cycloneness. Oh, and he used his last shred of eligibility to play Football. Yeah, you're nodding your head a little more vigorously now aren't you!

I am a HUGE Jacy Holloway fan. One of my favorite stories is about a very young Roman Legionnaire who eventually works his way to command an army, mainly by being solid, smart and unprepossessing.

I picture the hero in that story as looking and acting just like Holloway.

Everyone who looked at his boyish appearance and lack of flash and went "so?" but man was he solid.

In addition, I used to LOVE when they put Stevie up against some 6'10" or 6'11" type, and the idiot TV announcers would talk about the "physical mismatch". Mismatch, my eye. He could bang with the biggest and best of them.

iowajazz

Nov 25, 2006
Johnston, IA
1. Johnny Orr: He made going to Hilton fun. His wife Romi was a blast to sit behind. Nothing could beat hearing the tonight show theme and seeing Johnny come out pumping his fists and getting the crowd going.
2. Fred Hoiberg: Local boy makes good and never did anything but make us proud.
3. Barry Stevens: It was said; he invented Hilton Magic.
4. Jeff Hornacek: Gave 110% always.
5. Ron Harris: Great defensive player, tremendous energy, helped with the Cyclone turn around.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
There's a lot of great guys on the lists so far, but I really can't narrow this one down. To me, any kid who made the decision to come to ISU to play, stayed for their career, and represented the Cyclones with class should be on this list, along with several coaches. So my list is hundreds and hundreds.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I can't disagree with any already listed but I'd like to add some more for consideration, not neccessarily in any order:

Harold Nichols, wrestling coach
Chris Taylor, wrestler
Murdoch, hockey coach
Matt Blair, football player
Johnny Majors, football coach

This list is not all complete but these people all took Iowa State to another level of achievement or recognition.

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
Id have to say my top 5 are...

1. rahshon clark~ what he has done for this program truly wont be visible for a few yrs yet. we needed someone to help bridge the gap between coaches, and i cant think of a better peson to claim as my #1 all time cyclone!!!

2.johnny orr~ another truly great person, and was a heck of coach ;)

3.justice thigpen~ probably the very first clone i was ever in aww of....

4. the mayor~ everyone knows of ol' freddie!!

5. pete taylor~ wont ever b another one...his passion for isu was incredible, anyone who remembers listening to him will agree that it was as if u were living and dying with every play right along with him.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Well, just off the cuff:

Man, this is tough and partly because I am only 31 and don't go back as far. I definitely would second Thompson, and the Mayor. In fact I think the bball teams with the Mayor pretty much embody Hilton Magic for me.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
1. Johnny Orr
2. Pete Taylor(Overall #1 for athletic Deparment)
3. Gary Thompson
4. Jeff Hornacek
4.5 Freddie Hoiberg
5. Barry Stevans(He helped start it all.)
6. Jeff Grayer(honorable mention.)

I think you have to really look at the player has done for ISU after playing here.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Don't forget Ron Virgil. 6-4 170, skinny as Diante--and Johnny had him defending in the low post.

I had to do ten:

1. Johnny--the man needs a statue.
2. Barry--created Hilton Magic. I was there to see it, too.
3. Jeff Hornacek--a walkon? Are you kidding me? Wes E should be so good.
4. Gary Thompson--Roland Rocket carried the Cyclones through eras.
5. Jeff Grayer--built on the mystique that Barry created.
6. Fred--Mayor, indeed.
7. Rahshon--thanks for the memories...
8. Ron Virgil--talk about gutting it out!
9. Lafester Rhodes--defined the phrase "unconscious", and it was against Iowa!
10. Tie--all of the other guys who played their hearts out for Iowa State!

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think having Gary Thompson on the list at least somewhere is a must. How many other guys that played here are still as close to the program as he is.

In fact, I think he'd have to be #1 simply for that reason.