Troy Davis in Des Moines

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
On a cold winter night several years ago, my wife and I went to the Merle Hay Mall to walk a few miles for some exercise. We came upon Gayle Sayers, who was my idol growing up. He was sitting at a table signing autographed pictures for money.

It was sad because there was nobody there which is typical for Merle Hay Mall. Anyway, I was stunned and in awe. I shook Sayers's hand and I started babbling on about all his teammates. I think I probably rattled off the entire Bears starting unit from 1967, and I remember Sayers looking at me like I needed to get a life.

Anyway, I felt sorry that his life had come down to sitting in crummy malls at night talking to people like me.

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
On a cold winter night several years ago, my wife and I went to the Merle Hay Mall to walk a few miles for some exercise. We came upon Gayle Sayers, who was my idol growing up. He was sitting at a table signing autographed pictures for money.

It was sad because there was nobody there which is typical for Merle Hay Mall. Anyway, I was stunned and in awe. I shook Sayers's hand and I started babbling on about all his teammates. I think I probably rattled off the entire Bears starting unit from 1967, and I remember Sayers looking at me like I needed to get a life.

Anyway, I felt sorry that his life had come down to sitting in crummy malls at night talking to people like me.
Merle Hay must have had some connection with the Bears. I got Fridge Perry there also.

Attachments

• IMG_20220205_2913.jpg
    IMG_20220205_2913.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 9

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
Dead serious - Do people really go to stuff like this and pay for autographs?
I got a buddy with every issue of Sports Illustrated starting from some time in the mid 70's. His thing is getting the covers signed by who is on it and then framing & hanging it in his sports room. I have been to some shows with him. Arnold Palmer was in Des Moines for something, so Dave took an SI to get signed. He asked Arnold if he would sign it "To Dave". Arnold signed his name, handed it back and told Dave, he could personalize to himself when he got home.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
Yes, a lot of times it's for wrestlers which people grew up watching. Sometimes if the star is big enough they can turn around and sell the autograph for more money. If Wendy Peppercorn would be there, so would I. I would still make out with the old lady now because I could always claim I made out with her. I just would not tell anyone when I made out with her.

She's still a babe!

Mar 21, 2021
Bumped into an ISU FB alum at a truck stop today here in Minnesota. He was wearing an ISU letter jacket so I said hi. Derrick Walker. Didn't recognize the name. He said he played backup to Sage Rosenfels. Real nice guy.

Reactions: NWICY

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
Bumped into an ISU FB alum at a truck stop today here in Minnesota. He was wearing an ISU letter jacket so I said hi. Derrick Walker. Didn't recognize the name. He said he played backup to Sage Rosenfels. Real nice guy.

I remember him. He eventually switched positions. To linebacker I think.

Reactions: 2122 and KnappShack

Help Support Us

Become a patron