Trent Taylor signs with Iowa State

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
is he a 3 to play 2? Why wasn't he recruited more this year?

Does this mean that we do need to Grey shirt someone?

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
One of the JUCO DL has to be coming to play DT and not DE, right? I sure hope so. Need help there big time.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Adam, can we redshirt any of them? Would love to get another year out of one or two. Not sure what the normal depth is at this position.
I think Luna will back up Morrissey and Pierson will start at left end with Meyers backing him up. Those two guys will have to play because of lack of depth. Not sure about Ayeni. I think it depends if he stays at DE or moves inside. At DE, he would probably rotate in on both sides. At DT, he might have to redshirt and put on some weight, although we do need another body to rotate in behind Irving and Coe. Taylor only weighs 250, so I think we could see him redshirt as well.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I would love to see Trent redshirt and gain weight. He has the frame of a DT but the explosiveness and hand quickness of a DE. He would will be great at filling up the gaps.

On a side note, I love bringing in guys from JUCO's like Co-Lin, Iowa Western, Butler and NMMI. These schools (unlike most JUCOS) are playing DIAA talent week in and week out.

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Awesome news. Welcome to Cyclone Nation Trent. Lakeland FL has been pretty solid for ISU. Crazy how many guys we seem to pull from that general area. Did ISU buy a bunch of billboards in the area or something? Either way this is a great signing and glad to have him.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Hmmmmm, I can remember when people on this board would rip on Father Snyder for recruiting the jucos. Why the change in attitude Clones?

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
I think Luna will back up Morrissey and Pierson will start at left end with Meyers backing him up. Those two guys will have to play because of lack of depth. Not sure about Ayeni. I think it depends if he stays at DE or moves inside. At DE, he would probably rotate in on both sides. At DT, he might have to redshirt and put on some weight, although we do need another body to rotate in behind Irving and Coe. Taylor only weighs 250, so I think we could see him redshirt as well.

Taylor has 2 years of eligibility, so I don't think a RS is in the cards for him. Ayeni is a 3 for 2 guy, so he has a RS-season available, but don't know if that is the plan & not advocating it. We want the best playing no matter what.

I think Mitchell Myers could slide inside if he put on enough weight & added strength. Don't know if that is in the works either and I thought he looked like he came along well as last season went on. Don't know if Luna has just 2 years or is 3 for 2. If the latter, it'd obviously be a possibility to red-shirt him too. Only think any of the JC guys that are 3 for 2 would be red-shirt candidates.

Beings Jensen is not on the roster any more, I'm assuming it is a known commodity he is gone (forgive me, I did not search posts to check). Let's not forget about our underclassmen: Aka, Trent, & Garcia. The current roster lists them at 285, 287, & 277 lbs, respectively. Irving is listed at 281 lbs. Coe is 301 & Cousin 295, so from a size standpoint & numbers standpoint (Rhoads says he likes 2.5 players per position) we may be where the staff wants us to be on DT & NG.

Just realized, too, after looking the current roster shows just five DEs with 3 being scholarship players: Meyers @ 262 lbs, Morrissey @ 260 lbs, & RS-Fr JD Waggoner @ 247 lbs. Awful nice to see our DEs at this size, but we need numbers, in particular with Lemke no longer on the team (he is not listed on the roster & a thread was started yesterday discussing this). Considering all of this, I'd think Meyers stays at DE too.