Tre King minutes in 2nd half Vs TTU

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
The lipsey holmes and gabe turnover bonanza was definitely more damaging yesterday.

BUT! Jones's ceiling is so low vs someone like King and he's not exactly ADDING anything.

Reactions: Cyclones8824

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
If I had a dollar for every layup I’ve seen Robert Jones miss, I’d be a rich dude
Some games, I agree. But not last night. When he made those two 1 & 1 free throws I thought we would survive. And he had another nice move. Osun was not good on defense at all. I don't blame TJ for playing Robert. There was a stretch there where King just ran into guys and fouled them. He needs to figure it out on defense because we really need his rebounding.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Some games, I agree. But not last night. When he made those two 1 & 1 free throws I thought we would survive. And he had another nice move. Osun was not good on defense at all. I don't blame TJ for playing Robert. There was a stretch there where King just ran into guys and fouled them. He needs to figure it out on defense because we really need his rebounding.

The Caleb>Osun missed pass that puts ISU up 7 likely seals it.

I can't think of a player that didn't look like they forgot how to play last night for that last 10 minutes.

Should have just thrown King into a quasi-box/1 deal on Obanor to at least make him work a little harder and slow him down and not give King anything complicated.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006

That's part of the free throw discrepancy for the entire team. We go through stretches of fouling by creating too much unnecessary contact away from the basket. Handful of those every game. Seems inconsequential at the time but by the end of the game it leads to the free throw disparity we're seeing. Difficult to overcome giving a team 10+ free points.

Closeouts and rotations are a tad slow (at least for stretches last night). Opponents are getting to the paint way too easy, causing our defenders to reach and really pressuring our bigs. Conversely, our offense was not pressuring the Tech's defense at all during Tech's comeback.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Bob was +/- 0 today, Osun was -2. If Bob is screwing the game up so badly for the whole team, then that number should be negative at least.
I wasn't paying very close attention during a lot of Tech's run, so I certainly may have missed Jones's mistakes during that time. But I honestly thought that Rob played a ton better than he has lately. In his first stretch in the first half, he had several very nice defensive possessions as a rim protector. He had a few tip-outs for offensive rebounds and boxed out well to open up defensive rebounds. He even drained two free throws on a one-and-one. I don't think Robert Jones's play is probably anywhere near the top 5 reasons why we lost last night.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I wasn't paying very close attention during a lot of Tech's run, so I certainly may have missed Jones's mistakes during that time. But I honestly thought that Rob played a ton better than he has lately. In his first stretch in the first half, he had several very nice defensive possessions as a rim protector. He had a few tip-outs for offensive rebounds and boxed out well to open up defensive rebounds. He even drained two free throws on a one-and-one. I don't think Robert Jones's play is probably anywhere near the top 5 reasons why we lost last night.

Agreed. Getting the lead back to 20+ that late in the game caused the entire team (coaches included) to let up. Have to think the first game with Tech played a small part of that mindset, they thought they could coast again.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Bob was +/- 0 today, Osun was -2. If Bob is screwing the game up so badly for the whole team, then that number should be negative at least.

+/- doesn’t show everything about an individual when they’re in the game. Bob is much worse than Osun. Osun didn’t particularly have a great game but outside of that, I think you could argue no one really did sans grill.

To me, king isn’t a 5 and TJ likes to play with four guards a lot (that could be a product of jaz not being available) as he likes to space the floor.

The key issue last night was ball handling, mental errors, and fouls (some that were legit on ISU and some that weren’t as well as for the other side too. The reds sucked all around).

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
King should be getting 100% of Jones's minutes.

Not nearly 100%. But some for sure. I’d love to know what they see in RJ to play him so consistently. I’d also like to know why our offense is so determined to be run through him. And I’d like to know why he hardly ever passes out of the post.

Reactions: Halincandenza

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
+/- doesn’t show everything about an individual when they’re in the game. Bob is much worse than Osun. Osun didn’t particularly have a great game but outside of that, I think you could argue no one really did sans grill.

To me, king isn’t a 5 and TJ likes to play with four guards a lot (that could be a product of jaz not being available) as he likes to space the floor.

The key issue last night was ball handling, mental errors, and fouls (some that were legit on ISU and some that weren’t as well as for the other side too. The reds sucked all around).
I don’t think we’re comparing Bob to Osun though, Osun seems to have only a certain amount of minutes to play.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
The backboard would disagree with you. I’ve seen 3/4 court shots hit backboards softer than a BRE layup.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron