Traveling to Tahoe...needs ideas

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Sun Country is having a huge deal on flights. Booked roundtrip tickets to Lake Tahoe/Reno for $128 round trip. That's unheard of.

I've been to Tahoe but it's been a number of years. Better half has never been. Need ideas where is best to stay for those who haven't been there before. Good restaurants, good views, outdoor stuff but not skiing (going early October).

Thanks!

Reactions: MJ29 and Angie

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
When we went to Tahoe two things were apparent: The elevation and Lake Tahoe make it colder than normal and the “thin air”impacts the hiking trail ratings. Evidently the Trails are rated by the local hiking types who are accustomed to the conditions. Midwest flatlanders should take that in to account, I didn’t on my first hike but did afterwards.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This won't be a big surprise to you, since you know me - but I love going to offbeat stuff while traveling. The unique, off-the-beaten-path stuff. Atlas Obscura is my favorite place for this: https://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/reno-nevada
I know a lady that can help you with the off-beaten paths. She does not do the touristy stuff in cities. For an example, when we were on the DC trip with our kids in school, we had 3-4 hours open time. While my son and I hit up some of the Smithsonian museums. She took her son and another kid downtown and gave snacks to the homeless and found a small deli/restaurant to eat down there. Whereas many will hit up Disneyland in LA, she will a day and find a soup kitchen to help out at. She definitely knows the inside of many cities.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I know a lady that can help you with the off-beaten paths. She does not do the touristy stuff in cities. For an example, when we were on the DC trip with our kids in school, we had 3-4 hours open time. While my son and I hit up some of the Smithsonian museums. She took her son and another kid downtown and gave snacks to the homeless and found a small deli/restaurant to eat down there. Whereas many will hit up Disneyland in LA, she will a day and find a soup kitchen to help out at. She definitely knows the inside of many cities.

I love this so much. And what an absolutely perfect way to spend time. <3

We're taking our kids to Disneyland in LA in June, but I am going to see if we can't find something amazing like this to do on our down day. Thank you!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Cool site! Bookmarking that for later reference. :)

It has such a treasure trove of fun. Some of the best stuff I have done on vacations is from there!

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Sun Country is having a huge deal on flights. Booked roundtrip tickets to Lake Tahoe/Reno for $128 round trip. That's unheard of.

I've been to Tahoe but it's been a number of years. Better half has never been. Need ideas where is best to stay for those who haven't been there before. Good restaurants, good views, outdoor stuff but not skiing (going early October).

Thanks!

~ take a boat tour around lake... very cool.
~ take a day and drive to Napa or S.F.; easy, scenic 3-hr drive
~ be careful with hotels, etc. perusing their websites/online pictures. Some venues in South Lake Tahoe (near Heavenly Ski) are actually time-shares rented in summer/fall as 'hotel rooms' and are tired-looking upon arrival. ~ i.e., skiers walking around room w/ their ski boots.

Reactions: dahliaclone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

Thanks!
You likely will be short on time, and considering gas prices, the 75-mile drive around Lake Tahoe maybe difficult. The North shore is my favorite and for some Vikingsholm is very camera-worthy. From one end to the other Tahoe is a treasure.

CaliCyfan

Nov 24, 2019
Truckee area is great. Fall should be beautiful, if warm, boat on the lake or try Donner Lake. Hikes: Shirley Lake trail is good (near Squaw) and lots of pretty hikes in Emerald Bay (west/south part of lake). Hikes are plenty and can find something for all levels. South Lake more congested and more party/gambling scene than Truckee/Tahoe City.

Temps in Oct are perfect but Evenings cool. Traffic in and out on weekends can be bad (west towards Bay Area).

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Headed to Tahoe in a couple of weeks. Booked an awesome revamped hotel in on the south side of the lake. Will do Emerald Bay and kayak to the little island first day.

Thinking of going to Monkey Rock second day.

Other musts on a short schedule?

Any suggestions for great restaurants and pizza would be welcome.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Headed to Tahoe in a couple of weeks. Booked an awesome revamped hotel in on the south side of the lake. Will do Emerald Bay and kayak to the little island first day.

Dont you ever stay home. You just got back from Greece.;)

• Haha

mharder

Apr 11, 2006
Rancho Cordova, CA

Go enjoy a Rum Runner at The Beacon, Camp Richardson.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

Base Camp Pizza in Heavenly Village is very good on the South Side

EEPMNW6.jpg

There is also a fantastic mexican place called T's Rotisserie that locals swore by. It was amazing. Got the Pork Verde Burrito

oJuUGD9.jpg

sIueocS.jpg